Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So what is the consensus??

So what is the consensus??

Old May 14th 2005, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what is the consensus??

We're in our early 30s with two young children and had a small amount of equity in the UK, so there was never any chance of living mortgage free. Sometimes I feel trapped in this rental after owning my own home (hubby self employed plus doing short term contracts so longer to get mortgage despite high earnings) and its annoying to not have the credit history we had in the UK... but we love Aus and have come to terms with the fact that things will be a bit harder to begin with and we just have to accept that we can't yet buy etc. I expected that we'd have bought earlier and we have had trouble with our landlords (numerous inspections as previous tenant trashed the place and was evicted) now I've mellowed out and am just "looking forward" to buying rather than wanting to get out asap.
As Badge says, its much easier to get the dream house etc. if you had significant equity in the UK, but I have a feeling I will appreciate the new house more when the time comes as I've had to wait for it. I was quite humbled the other day when I moaned about renting to my Kiwi friend and she told me they'd been in the same position for 6 years. There's also a danger in comparing with other migrants, if you do that you'll never be happy.
Old May 14th 2005, 4:47 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi larrisa, i think you have put it into words wonderfully. we were/will be in the same possition as yourself. no house to sell, did that before we left 3 yrs ago, again with not much equity at all (paid for the relocation and that was it).
Every day we thought about how we were going to get out of the rental trap and it just brought us down.
It took years to be where we are in england, contacts through work and friends took a whole lifetime.
On returning to oz we will be taking the pressure off and just go with the flow, esp when you have small childre. Life is hard enough financially making sure that they have all they need and want without applying pressure to be a home owner.
On reflection i don't think it was about renting, i think it was about giving us something to tie us down to our new lives, something that would have made us feel that things were permanent not just passing through.

I think i might get a dog next time

louise

p.s. good things come to those who wait ( i just wish some bugger would tell me why we have to wait so damn long)
Old May 14th 2005, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Louise, I hope it all works out for you this time, at least you will know what you're letting yourself in for. We've also been thinking about getting a dog, it's a big decision and we're now sure of the right breed etc. but our landlord won't let us! Great... one of the reasons was so the kids would be more settled and grow up with the family dog, ahh well, we will get one eventually!
The contacts thing is a biggy. We're gradually putting down roots now (how can I say that expression without it sounding bad ) and it helps when you know people who can help you out with local information etc. which you just wouldn't get from Expats, unless they've been here a few years. A lot of the job scene is "who you know" rather than "what you know" unless you're in a real demand job.
take care
Larissa