Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti-social behaviour in Aussie

Anti-social behaviour in Aussie

Old May 13th 2005, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default Anti-social behaviour in Aussie

I realise that anti-social behaviour must exist in Australia but would you say that it is better or worse than the UK? Is there as much vandalism, thuggery, aggression etc? Is there a gang of hooded youths on most street corners in every town and city after nightfall?

You can all be totally honest!!!

tottefan.
Old May 13th 2005, 1:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-social behaviour in Aussie

Originally Posted by tottefan
I realise that anti-social behaviour must exist in Australia but would you say that it is better or worse than the UK? Is there as much vandalism, thuggery, aggression etc? Is there a gang of hooded youths on most street corners in every town and city after nightfall?

tottefan.
You get it here too, is it worse? well I guess that depends entirely on where in the UK you are comparing it too.

Is it worse here in Perth than my village in East Sussex? yes, much worse.
Old May 13th 2005, 1:21 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
You get it here too, is it worse? well I guess that depends entirely on where in the UK you are comparing it too.

Exactly, although it is worse here in Geraldton than it was in Crawley west sussex.

Saying that I live in the "city" centre here and lived in a nice neighbourhood in Crawley.

Swings and roundabouts.

Kala
Old May 13th 2005, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Renth. Totally depends where you are. Personally I moved from London to Sydney - you get dodgy areas of Sydney, like anywhere, but I feel a hell of a lot safer here than London.
Old May 13th 2005, 1:24 am
ABCDiamond

well I guess that depends entirely on where in the UK you are comparing it too.
Or peaceful Victoria Point compared to London ? Remind me, what does a hooded youth look like

Old May 13th 2005, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

tottefan.
Wiping out street corners in a 20 year old car wreck with a 17 year old hormonal teen driving a V6 motor with a weeks driving experience at the wheel. Egged on by a car full of pissed or stoned mates pushng them on.

Total bloody nightmare especially in the suburbs.
Old May 13th 2005, 1:41 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

tottefan.

As others have said it all depends what it's like where you are and what area you will be moving to. We still get youths roaming the streets at night here in Victoria breaking people's letterboxes etc. as they can't think of anything better to do - even in "nice" suburbs.

More people replied to this thread on a similar topic:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279199
Old May 13th 2005, 2:50 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Remind me, what does a hooded youth look like
Sorry ABC, but you asked!

Old May 13th 2005, 3:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Sorry ABC, but you asked!
Ahh yes, I remember them now, we had some of those down in Sydney when we lived down there.

I've heard that they get them in other areas of the general Brisbane area though.

Old May 13th 2005, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Anti-social behaviour in Aussie

tottefan.
We were in Stoke :scared: , but are now in Newcastle NSW . There is low level graffiti about , mainly on fences. However, there is very little street crime. We don’t think twice about going out after dark here. In the four months we have been here, we have not had any cheeky comments made to us by youths. In fact, one thing we found strange is that the kids here actually speak to adults.

Molly
Old May 13th 2005, 4:22 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

In brisbane city suburb for a mth didnt see any evidence of it doing normal things with family.

In bayside - not seen any at all.

In fact - the crime reports in the local paper are funny to read, they print them weekly ( redland times)
( and I quote )

- Beer bottles were smashed on the oval at vienna woods state school between Wed may 4th and 530 on wed may 5th, Turf had to be cut up and replaced.
- A black moutnain bike was stolen
- Asurfboard and clothing stolen from a car
- car parked in a vacant lot had its fuel syphoned between 930pm sunday and 920am monday.
- Glass window smashed when a stubby was thrown through it.
- Capalaba ambulance crew called to assist a man who had a cotton bud stick in his left ear canal , the man was transported to hospital.

This is about 5 out of the 25 crimes reported in the paper.... Seriously.

Contrast with my local paper in Southampton has had 2 murders on the front pages in the last week and wouldnt lower itself to report the highlight of the criminal week as 1 mountain bike and some guy with a cotton bud in his ear.... unless he was the local MP with a nitrate laden orange in his mouth at the same time. ;-)

Feel VERY Safe here , for sure there are going to be things going on , but generally feel very secure.
Old May 13th 2005, 4:26 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

tottefan.
depends on the suburb Id say also heaps of young guns here are fu**wits, seriously....
Old May 13th 2005, 4:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spalen
In bayside - not seen any at all.
I just remembered, in Cleveland, the Grand View Hotel, New Years Eve 2003 I think, the police were called to a fight there.

Old May 13th 2005, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
heaps of young guns here are fu**wits, seriously....
Aw! Now I've got the Wham song going round my head!
Old May 13th 2005, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I just remembered, in Cleveland, the Grand View Hotel, New Years Eve 2003 I think, the police were called to a fight there.

Did you get bail?

You must have been well hammered if your only remembering now

JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.