Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So what is the consensus??

So what is the consensus??

Old May 13th 2005, 6:23 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what is the consensus??

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My daughter comes home with learning words like the following:
adversity
alkaline
bludgeoned
bodices
bullockies

These are the first 5 of a list of 100 words for this term, and she is only 8.

I need to check the dictionary myself to help her on some of them.

Word number 72 is "Scottish" How does one explain what that means ?
Ours are in year 2 & come home with spelling lists including words like marsupial, Australian, platypus, kangaroo & monotremes. Obviously Australian animals are the go in our school!

As for the OPs question, better off financially, & alot better off lifestyle-wise. Small village in Hampshire compared to bayside Brisbane.
Old May 13th 2005, 7:13 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hevs
Tight

Also describe bullockies please
Those who drive bulls sans bollocks.
Old May 13th 2005, 7:32 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

About the same.

We'll be first home buyers soon, and can only afford a cheaper area, and only because we live very modestly. We have fun, but it's cheap fun mostly
Old May 13th 2005, 7:42 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
PS.......... far far better off in everyway, now all we need is Perth to open an M&S and life would be 100% perfect.

Jill

Are you sure Jill isnt a pseudonym and you're really Mandy Skeggs!! LOL!!
Old May 13th 2005, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Simone
About the same.

We'll be first home buyers soon, and can only afford a cheaper area, and only because we live very modestly. We have fun, but it's cheap fun mostly

Hey simone!

Have you started looking at houses then? how much deposit do they require?

fabie!

ps: enjoy the week end!
Old May 13th 2005, 7:48 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by bridiej
Are you sure Jill isnt a pseudonym and you're really Mandy Skeggs!! LOL!!
sorry that one has gone right over my head, please explain, then I'll know if you have upset me or not LOL

Jill

Old May 13th 2005, 8:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
It must be cause your in bayside

The school book they came out of covers all of QLD according to the teacher.

Old May 13th 2005, 8:04 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
sorry that one has gone right over my head, please explain, then I'll know if you have upset me or not LOL

Jill

Did you not see "A New Life Down Under" with the whinging pom moaning how she longed for M&S knickers cos Oz knickers were no good.... ?
Old May 13th 2005, 8:04 am
ABCDiamond

Also describe bullockies please
Thats exactly what I said to her teacher

But I did find the meaning in an old Australian Dictionary. And it is about pairs of Bullocks being driven as transport, or even the people who drove them.

Old May 13th 2005, 8:09 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Hey simone!

Have you started looking at houses then? how much deposit do they require?

fabie!

ps: enjoy the week end!
Normally about 10%. Which we have(for about a $190.000 house)

But hsbc won't give us a mortgage yet because Pascal is still on a temp spouse visa, and some of the other banks MIGHT, but I'm quite sure they'll either charge more interest, or want more deposit(20%). And that I am not willing to do, and don't have enough deposit for that.
So, we're waiting. We don't mind really, we're happy where we are, the rent isn't that high so we are saving, and hopefully the house prizes won't go up much in the next year.....

P.s. in 1993, year 6, we were learning about eutrophication(and erosion, ph levels etc), and I can still spell it really quickly. Was top 3 of my class speller back then... wouldn't be now!
Old May 13th 2005, 8:15 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Badge
It depends on the individual and the circumstances.

To give an example

if you are from outside London and have a 70k mortgage and a good job you have to reconsider whether or not Australia is really an option financially.

You have to decide whether the perceived "fringe benefits" will outweight these.

Badge
We are from the north east of England, had 45,oooK mortgage, bought 20 years ago though, made good profit, now got a bigger mortgage with view to selling and buying without mortgage in a few years time. Too late to reconsider if Australia is an option now Badge .

Depends how you like to spend the money.

For me we are financially same, however, we both have to work to achieve what we want. Wheras in UK I needn't have worked.

Australia gives us a good lifestyle, house with swimming pool in a good area, in my opinion the kids are better off here, but then we could be better off moving to another area of UK, who knows. I still love the UK, always will. But we chose Australia and love it. Just think we are lucky to live where we want.

Marie
Old May 13th 2005, 8:29 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

But I did find the meaning in an old Australian Dictionary. And it is about pairs of Bullocks being driven as transport, or even the people who drove them.
so its a person who drives with two bullocks then
Old May 13th 2005, 4:14 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

so its a person who drives with two bullocks then
Persons with bollocks who drive bulls without.
Old May 13th 2005, 4:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
Persons with bollocks who drive bulls without.
What happens if the drivee has had an op and had the aforementioned removed. Is he still licenced to drive said bulls without
Old May 14th 2005, 1:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by moneypen20
What happens if the drivee has had an op and had the aforementioned removed. Is he still licenced to drive said bulls without
Wouldn't pass muster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.