Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snobbery in Perth Real or Fake !!!!

Snobbery in Perth Real or Fake !!!!

Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

perth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to all
Default Re: Snobbery in Perth Real or Fake !!!!

if you rent instead of own a house your treated like sh#t by a lot of people including the people you rent from
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kelli28
I've been in Perth almost a week and I'm yet to see one ute with a dog on the back of it. I just don't feel like I'm in Australia.
We get quite a few around here. Always excites the kids to see for some reason

As for where you live, etc. I very rarely mention my suburb as it's one of those 'do not live in' ones according to a few people on here. So yep there is a class thing going on here.

Alison x
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Get yourself a few km's out of the city to Gidgegannup or further up to road to Toodyay or something and you'll fulfill your dreams.
No need to go that far. Drive along West Coast Highway/Marmion Avenue or Wanneroo Road and you'll see lots of tradesmen, particulary in the 3.30 pm tradies rush hour.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

TBH I haven't been savaged on here mentioning the suburb I live in recently... like what I used to be... either:

a, people are beginning to realise that shockingham aint that bad afterall
b, people can't be bothered to argue with me anymore coz they end up looking like tossers..
c, People who used to be so anti have fallen on hard times, victims of the weak pound so are keeping their traps shut..
d, they just cant be arsed..

But yes the "class" system is alive and kicking ... but it IS based more on financial, educational and geographical elements than before....
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perth tiger
if you rent instead of own a house your treated like sh#t by a lot of people including the people you rent from
I think that the poor attitude towards tenants stems from Perth's previous housing affordability. The population was dominated by long-term West Australians, and it was common for people barely out of their teens to buy a property. Over decades, if you couldnt' afford to buy, it was almost like being a Homes West tenant (equivalent of council housing). Things have changed in terms of affordability, but some of the old attitudes remain. Home owner or tenant, it does come down to where you choose to live. Some would consider it better to rent in Nedlands, than buy in, well, almost anywhere else except another western suburb.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
No need to go that far. Drive along West Coast Highway/Marmion Avenue or Wanneroo Road and you'll see lots of tradesmen, particulary in the 3.30 pm tradies rush hour.
But surely that's NORTH of the river? and all bogans live south... ok they're on their way home arent they?
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by eddie007
But surely that's NORTH of the river? and all bogans live south... ok they're on their way home arent they?
Do you mean all the utes with dogs I see are heading in a southerly direction?
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you mean all the utes with dogs I see are heading in a southerly direction?
absolutely....
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007

But yes the "class" system is alive and kicking ... but it IS based more on financial, educational and geographical elements than before....
Arguably, in this respect, it's like the UK then!

The difference is, is that traits and habits are more entrenched in the UK and values can be very defined. (IMHO)
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is a difference.

These has been discussed before, and I still can't think of how the 'class system' in the UK impacts on 99% of people. That's talking about the 'class system' as being something different to snobbery.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Arguably, in this respect, it's like the UK then!

The difference is, is that traits and habits are more entrenched in the UK and values can be very defined. (IMHO)
wouldnt know mate.. havent been there for 3.5 years... no intention of going back..

I know that the bag of plums I spat out along with the silver spoon and the school I went to opened doors for me back there...

lol
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kelli28
I've been in Perth almost a week and I'm yet to see one ute with a dog on the back of it. I just don't feel like I'm in Australia.
I see plenty (NOR). Very unpleasant experience when you are on a bike and the dog barks at you like mad.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

Especially by the agency managing the property!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the poor attitude towards tenants stems from Perth's previous housing affordability. The population was dominated by long-term West Australians, and it was common for people barely out of their teens to buy a property. Over decades, if you couldnt' afford to buy, it was almost like being a Homes West tenant (equivalent of council housing). Things have changed in terms of affordability, but some of the old attitudes remain. Home owner or tenant, it does come down to where you choose to live. Some would consider it better to rent in Nedlands, than buy in, well, almost anywhere else except another western suburb.
Yes, but probably only those who are also renting in Nedlands??????
Old Jan 13th 2011, 6:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You've got some weird people over there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.