British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Snobbery in Perth Real or Fake !!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/snobbery-perth-real-fake-700378/)

Bill Frame Jan 12th 2011 11:40 pm

Snobbery in Perth Real or Fake !!!!

Hi
having read quite a few threads and various replies it would seem that we have done a good job in exporting the class system to Oz, we have the have and the have nots and depending on where you can afford to live you are judged accordingly, quite disappointing really :thumbdown:
Or

Am I just imagining this !!!!! :lol:

CasualObserver1 Jan 12th 2011 11:46 pm

Re: Snobbery in Perth Real or Fake !!!!

Originally Posted by Bill Frame (Post 9097211)
Hi
having read quite a few threads and various replies it would seem that we have done a good job in exporting the class system to Oz, we have the have and the have nots and depending on where you can afford to live you are judged accordingly, quite disappointing really :thumbdown:
Or

There has always been a class system in Australia. It different to the UK, but it's there.

northernbird Jan 13th 2011 12:20 am

Hi
Or

Definitely alive and kicking, no different to the UK (or anywhere else come to think of it) in that regard. Where you live and where your kids go to school is a recipe for a right old ding dong on BE.

moneypenny20 Jan 13th 2011 12:50 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 9097283)
Definitely alive and kicking, no different to the UK (or anywhere else come to think of it) in that regard. Where you live and where your kids go to school is a recipe for a right old ding dong on BE.

Some people just like to argue, regardless of subject. :lol:

CasualObserver1 Jan 13th 2011 12:51 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9097333)
Some people just like to argue, regardless of subject. :lol:

No they don't.

JBJ14 Jan 13th 2011 12:55 am

Originally Posted by CasualObserver1 (Post 9097334)
No they don't.

Yes they do :lol:

CasualObserver1 Jan 13th 2011 12:56 am

Originally Posted by JBJ14 (Post 9097342)
Yes they do :lol:

I disagree.

moneypenny20 Jan 13th 2011 12:57 am

Originally Posted by CasualObserver1 (Post 9097344)
I disagree.

You're wrong.

CasualObserver1 Jan 13th 2011 12:58 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9097347)
You're wrong.

I don't think so.

moneypenny20 Jan 13th 2011 1:07 am

Originally Posted by CasualObserver1 (Post 9097349)
I don't think so.

Yup, you are. I'm right, always am, ask the husband.

Weebie Jan 13th 2011 1:46 am

Australia has more of an Americanised status system compared to a class system that Britain has. The location of where you live and where you send your kids to school are the two most important aspects here of that system. It's more evident in Perth has Perth brings in more migrants and has a lot of Wealth for it's size. You can pay some outrageous prices for average food and beer but the prices are there because people are prepared to pay for it.

Kelli28 Jan 13th 2011 1:51 am

Hi
Or

I've been in Perth almost a week and I'm yet to see one ute with a dog on the back of it. I just don't feel like I'm in Australia.

Kim67 Jan 13th 2011 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Kelli28 (Post 9097461)
I've been in Perth almost a week and I'm yet to see one ute with a dog on the back of it. I just don't feel like I'm in Australia.

Get yourself a few km's out of the city to Gidgegannup or further up to road to Toodyay or something and you'll fulfill your dreams.

CasualObserver1 Jan 13th 2011 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 9097479)
Get yourself a few km's out of the city to Gidgegannup or further up to road to Toodyay or something and you'll fulfill your dreams.

Make sure you take your banjo too.

JBJ14 Jan 13th 2011 2:45 am

Originally Posted by CasualObserver1 (Post 9097482)
Make sure you take your banjo too.

And hope you don't need a dentist!!