Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snobbery in Perth Real or Fake !!!!

Snobbery in Perth Real or Fake !!!!

Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:46 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snobbery in Perth Real or Fake !!!!

Originally Posted by eddie007
Bet yer still putting marg innit tho int yer? Not reeeeeeeel butter like what we have.....

Some of these posts aren't about "class" they are about percieved discrimination based upon home ownership versus renting. I know very classy people who rent... Look at Princess Michael of Kent... She rents from the Queen...

On second thoughts that wasn't THE best example I could have chosen
Real butter,oh of course...and not forgetting sugar cubes
One couldn't survive without ones Tate & Lyle...
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
OFGS! Not another person putting sungar lumps on their cornflakes coz they think its classy
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
I thought sugar cubes were just used for feeding horsesSue.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petensue
I thought sugar cubes were just used for feeding horsesSue.
no DAAARLING sugar cubes is for tea... Polo mints is for the gee gees
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

no DAAARLING sugar cubes is for tea... Polo mints is for the gee gees
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Sad if true, i for one would hope that banter would get in the way of actual snobbery.
Snobs are really poor people inside who have become shallow and insular to the core, it's just a pity that people turn out this way. Why judge people by what they own, surely it's better to see beyond the cars/pools/bedrooms etc and look at the person you are talking to?
It's sounds to me that a lot of people here belittle or take the piss out of others very willingly (to easily), what has it something to do with getting there first at a good exchange rate and buying at the cheapest price, that now gives you the god given to act and talk about not so lucky people has your selves maybe?
Rant/rage over, but it does look from the outside like that, i can mix it with anyone but this sort of rubbish just makes my blood boil, this is one of the reasons for leaving Britain for godsake.
I just hope that when we get there it's not has bad as you lot are making it out to be.
P.S. this is debs husband NOT deb writing this.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:58 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
Sad if true, i for one would hope that banter would get in the way of actual snobbery.
Snobs are really poor people inside who have become shallow and insular to the core, it's just a pity that people turn out this way. Why judge people by what they own, surely it's better to see beyond the cars/pools/bedrooms etc and look at the person you are talking to?
It's sounds to me that a lot of people here belittle or take the piss out of others very willingly (to easily), what has it something to do with getting there first at a good exchange rate and buying at the cheapest price, that now gives you the god given to act and talk about not so lucky people has your selves maybe?
Rant/rage over, but it does look from the outside like that, i can mix it with anyone but this sort of rubbish just makes my blood boil, this is one of the reasons for leaving Britain for godsake.
I just hope that when we get there it's not has bad as you lot are making it out to be.
I have to agree with most of what you have said most people I have met that want to compare what they have with you, generally don't really have anything other than a lot of debt. People that do have money don't feel the need to show it off.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Exactly
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

if we're getting serious on this thread again (sorry, i was still in delinquent schoolboy mode) I haven't come across snobbery for a long time.

Posts slating the area I live in because it wasn't a "nice" area used to be frequent... And that IMHO was the worst kind of snobbery... I haven't seen one for a very long time on this board

I don't come across snobs in my working life or my social life, perhaps I have pruned them well...

And to be honest the bias's if any I have encountered have been from English immigrants... Not Australians...
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:31 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

if we're getting serious on this thread again (sorry, i was still in delinquent schoolboy mode) I haven't come across snobbery for a long time.

Posts slating the area I live in because it wasn't a "nice" area used to be frequent... And that IMHO was the worst kind of snobbery... I haven't seen one for a very long time on this board

I don't come across snobs in my working life or my social life, perhaps I have pruned them well...

And to be honest the bias's if any I have encountered have been from English immigrants... Not Australians...
Same here
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh.. And whilst we are talking about snobbery... A lot of English snobbery is based upon manners.

Good manners, bad manners, The "done thing" and "not the done thing..." How one holds one knife and fork...

And it's usually considred VERY bad manners to use some one elses account to post on a forum, simply NOT the done thing... The correct ettiquette is to set up your own account and post yourself

There you go, I'm a SNOB!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

I found some of the people in Woodvale to be very snobbish both the Brits and Australians.It was quite funny that a few snobs would not have much to do with people like my family who do not have a lot of money or with my friends family who has lots of money but does not show off.I know they did not like her just because she always looked really nice and did not want to talk about the latest thing she has bought!

She also moved away and lives not that far away from me and loves it and not being judged.Sue
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:23 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
Don't worry about it. We've lived in a number of different countries/cities and Perth certainly doesn't have any significant snob factor (I'd even say it was the opposite).

These forums can often give quite alarming views on all sorts of topics, but you need to be careful as to what you digest as factual or a true representation. Certain topics typically evoke a strong response from anyone who has had a negative experience, but you don't often hear from the silent majority that don't have an axe to grind.

I wasn't going to post on here, but just wanted to alleviate your concern a bit as it's not easy trying to understand things from afar.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Don't worry about it. We've lived in a number of different countries/cities and Perth certainly doesn't have any significant snob factor (I'd even say it was the opposite).

These forums can often give quite alarming views on all sorts of topics, but you need to be careful as to what you digest as factual or a true representation. Certain topics typically evoke a strong response from anyone who has had a negative experience, but you don't often hear from the silent majority that don't have an axe to grind.

I wasn't going to post on here, but just wanted to alleviate your concern a bit as it's not easy trying to understand things from afar.
I don't think this thread is making out Perth to be bad.I think some people on here seem to think the snobbery is the same as it is in the UK and some think it is not.

I think it would be very unhelpful for anyone coming to Oz to just hear how wonderful everything is.Some people do have an axe to grind but a lot of people are just giving their opinion.Sue.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petensue
I don't think this thread is making out Perth to be bad.I think some people on here seem to think the snobbery is the same as it is in the UK and some think it is not.

I think it would be very unhelpful for anyone coming to Oz to just hear how wonderful everything is.Some people do have an axe to grind but a lot of people are just giving their opinion.Sue.
Some people go through life thinking that other people are snobs... and that they are the victims of snobbery, other people live their lives and get on with it, not judging others and not thinking that they are being judged

Some people need to accept that not everyone is going to like them, and that isnt based on what they have or have not... its based on them... whether they like it or not... and whether they know it or not...

Some people DO judge others by their address, dress and possessions... Think yourself lucky if those people have choosen to not associtae with you, coz they aren't the kind of people you want as your friends.

Its the same the world over... Perf is no different to the uk... there's nice people, good people and not so nice people.. Make up your own mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.