Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Smile - you are on camera!!!

Smile - you are on camera!!!

Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smile - you are on camera!!!

Following on from Johninoxford's post.

What is it with Australian police and speed cameras?

Those going from the UK who love speed traps are in for a real treat

I've never seen so many cameras or speed traps in my life.
We saw three unmarked police cars on one road in Adelaide alone :scared:
You learn to recognise them by the darkened windows and twin antennas.

Speed traps are everywhere as well as RBTs. Abyone who complains of speed cameras in the UK do not realise what is waiting for them.

G
Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:39 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smile - you are on camera!!!

Originally Posted by Grayling
Following on from Johninoxford's post.

What is it with Australian police and speed cameras?

Those going from the UK who love speed traps are in for a real treat

I've never seen so many cameras or speed traps in my life.
We saw three unmarked police cars on one road in Adelaide alone :scared:
You learn to recognise them by the darkened windows and twin antennas.

Speed traps are everywhere as well as RBTs. Abyone who complains of speed cameras in the UK do not realise what is waiting for them.

G
It is purely a voluntary politicians retirement fund though
Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:40 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

The really annoying thing about all speed cameras is that they don't ask you to say "cheese"
Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren
It is purely a voluntary politicians retirement fund though
They will not be short of a pension then

G
Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:41 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
The really annoying thing about all speed cameras is that they don't ask you to say "cheese"

Do u need some warning to get the finger out of the nose?
Old Aug 28th 2004, 10:38 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

An Australian public holiday tradition used to be road carnage. Most states now have a double demerits scheme where most driving offences attract double the penalty points. A car full of people with no seatbelt could lose you your license in NSW on a public holiday.

What makes it more fun is all police leave is cancelled and spots where it is so easy and safe to speed become speed traps. The campaigns have worked.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by bondipom
An Australian public holiday tradition used to be road carnage. Most states now have a double demerits scheme where most driving offences attract double the penalty points. A car full of people with no seatbelt could lose you your license in NSW on a public holiday.

What makes it more fun is all police leave is cancelled and spots where it is so easy and safe to speed become speed traps. The campaigns have worked.

I personally have no problems with the double dermits.... in fact the could triple or what ever as then its not just a revenue raiser.... takes the fines out of it completely and maybe have a system of warned once, lose license the second or 3rd time. No one is forcing anyone to speed.

Oh and btw it aint the police that set the speeds on the roads.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I dont understand those that complain about speed traps/camera's/RBT or anything similar. My theory is that if you arent speeding or drink driving, then it wouldnt matter if they were every 10 feet.....

Perhaps I am a dreamer, but I like to think that in some small way, having the camera's/RBT, it might save a few lives....Just a little more important than worrying what the revenue that they make is spent on. If people speed less or didnt drink and drive, there would be a lot less revenue...
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Hels
Personally, I dont understand those that complain about speed traps/camera's/RBT or anything similar. My theory is that if you arent speeding or drink driving, then it wouldnt matter if they were every 10 feet.....

Perhaps I am a dreamer, but I like to think that in some small way, having the camera's/RBT, it might save a few lives....Just a little more important than worrying what the revenue that they make is spent on. If people speed less or didnt drink and drive, there would be a lot less revenue...

Less revenue???? are you serious... you dont think there would be new tax invented.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:15 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Resource wise it is impossible to speed trip the entire road system so if the traps were truly a safety measure then one would expect accident black spots to be targetted. That is not the case and that is my complaint.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Less revenue???? are you serious... you dont think there would be new tax invented.

Perhaps, they would find another way, but its not the revenue thats the issue for me...its the fact that hopefully it saves lives....

If I speed and get caught, I cop it...I shouldnt have been doing it in the first place....
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by bondipom
Resource wise it is impossible to speed trip the entire road system so if the traps were truly a safety measure then one would expect accident black spots to be targetted. That is not the case and that is my complaint.

and 99.9% of the drivers
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:25 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with HELS.

What is it with people that they get indignant when they are not allowed to break the law. You play the game, you lose, you take the punishment.

the alternative is a situation like the UK where the speed limit, is widely regarded as a "suggested" limit - I mean, who goes 70 on the mororway? (unless it's congested)

What about all the times I've had enraged drivers up my arse as I drove through my village in Sussex, doing the speed limit knowing there is a school up ahead, all flashing theri lights and doing the Wan**r sign in my rear view mirror.

At least the not knowing where the speed cameras are instils more of a culture of speed limit obeyance. OK, there is speeding here, but not as much, and, unlike the UK, you are not expected to speed.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:36 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I personally have no problems with the double dermits.... in fact the could triple or what ever as then its not just a revenue raiser.... takes the fines out of it completely and maybe have a system of warned once, lose license the second or 3rd time. No one is forcing anyone to speed.

Oh and btw it aint the police that set the speeds on the roads.
QLD it's double points double fine on a bank holiday [bank holidays run from the Thu. before to the Wed. after ]. You get no leeway at all, 1k over and your fined and receive your points. Unless you have a vehicle fitted with cruise control you spend more time looking at your Speedo than the road ahead. Bear in mind the limit on the Bruce highway is only 100k [62mph] Drivers here are so wary of dark coloured 4x4's [speed cams]they slam on the brakes if they see one at the side of the road. If you read the local papers there are loads of rear end shunts at known speed trap locations. Kind of defeats the object of having them in the first place imo.
It's easy to say keep within the speed limits and your O.K but take the road to Tin Can Bay from the Bruce it's 50k of nearly straight road through nothing but forest plantations very hard not to creep above the limit yet there's a speed check there regularly purely as a fund raiser for the local police.
I do try and keep to the limits here I'm sure most do. I've been caught speeding once, a couple of k's over the first time I drove my folks new car [bringing it back home] If I'd been in the U.K I would not have been caught as the amount over was within the acceptable % allowed for fluctuations.
On another point there is a tendancy here to fit huge wheels and tyres to offroad vehicles up here, especially as Frazor Island is so close. I'll wager not one of those vehicles with it's huge "Sunraisers" fitted has a speedo that accurate to within a couple of K's at 60K never mind at 100k
Old Aug 29th 2004, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree people should not speed, but lets look at the speed limits and make them reasonable. 60mph on a motorway in a country bigger than most Booking people for 3klm over in a 60kph zone. That is what annoys people, spending most of your life in third gear.

Maybe its because of so many unsafe vehicles on the road, 30 year old rust buckets etc, but oh no we cant take them off the road the battler cant afford safe vehicles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.