Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Smile - you are on camera!!!

Smile - you are on camera!!!

Old Dec 26th 2004, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of
Default Re: Smile - you are on camera!!!

What we need is one MP getting caught very publically speeding. This was all it took in South Africa as the MP in question, to clear his name, ripped out yard upon yard of evidence that proved conclusively that speed cameras were inaccurate. Thereby effectively leaving the government open to law suits by speeding motorists who could claim the same.

I'm not in favour of speeding, but these things are there to raise revenue, not to protect us from insane drivers. I got a whopping fine for driving 65 in a 60 zone. For some reason unbeknownst to me the speed on a single stretch of road went from 70km/h to 60 and back to 70. Being new to the area I did not know this. Driving in the right-hand lane, passing a big truck which obscured the one and only road sign on the LEFT-HAND side of the road, I did not realise my mistake, until I got the fine and demerit point. I actually had to drive back to the stretch of road and crawl along it to find the one and only sign advising me of the change of pace, along an 8km stretch of road!!! If they really wanted me to know what the new speed limit was they should have posted at least one sign on either side of the dual lanes, then repeated the action a bit further on.

Last edited by G'Day; Dec 26th 2004 at 2:13 pm.