Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Smile - you are on camera!!!

Wikiposts

Smile - you are on camera!!!

Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:01 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smile - you are on camera!!!

Originally Posted by Quinkana
I care not if the speader is an average joe or not. Sorry the UK police are inept. Well you now have a traffic regulation violation to your name - a girl racer it seems. My last ticket - 26 years ago - I'm a survivor.
What was your ticket for Quinkana you are quick to accuse but you are giving no details about yourself, for all I know I could be talking to some adolesent teenager with time on his hands
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:14 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sky
What was your ticket for Quinkana you are quick to accuse but you are giving no details about yourself, for all I know I could be talking to some adolesent teenager with time on his hands
I accuse you of nothing - let us hope you do not become a criminal through careless driving.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:32 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I accuse you of nothing - let us hope you do not become a criminal through careless driving.
No details then
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sky
No details then
Can't remember - something like 90 in 80 zone.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:49 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Rear-end shunts generally indicate that people are driving too close to the car in front....speed traps or no speed traps. It's not rocket science. It could be a pedestrian/animal/other vehicle they are having to slam on for. You can't blame speed cameras for everything.
It could have been a white bucket that fell from a builders ute or even aliens from outer space but if there's an accident at a known speed camera it's due to the driver braking for that speed camera as I said in my post.
Drivers here do seem to tailgate loads more than where I lived in U.K [I'm trying not to generalise so you don't all jump on me] What the hell do drivers in Qld drive so close for? they're like sheep!
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:56 pm
sky
Banned

Can't remember - something like 90 in 80 zone.
Shame on you
Old Aug 29th 2004, 12:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cresta57
It could have been a white bucket that fell from a builders ute or even aliens from outer space but if there's an accident at a known speed camera it's due to the driver braking for that speed camera as I said in my post.
Drivers here do seem to tailgate loads more than where I lived in U.K [I'm trying not to generalise so you don't all jump on me] What the hell do drivers in Qld drive so close for? they're like sheep!
'cause they are less experienced in higher traffic densities and the problems that can result from inadequate separation, become impatient at minor delays and try to hurry up other drivers by threatening them. Hence the "BackOff" and "The Closer You Get The Slower I Go" stickers.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

cooldood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
I agree with HELS.

the alternative is a situation like the UK where the speed limit, is widely regarded as a "suggested" limit - I mean, who goes 70 on the mororway? (unless it's congested)
Things have changed since you left or at least they have up here in Yorkshire, i regularly see the police on motorway bridges with there cameras all set up to catch the speeders.

And the amount of white vans at the side of the road is unreal, causing the same "slam on your brakes when you see one" even if you where not speeding. They are also now sending out fines for a few miles an hour over the limit, so things dont seem that different apart from the double demerit points if that catches on or there will be no one on the roads over here lol
Old Aug 29th 2004, 10:01 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

having been caught speeding twice in the UK now, i'm not going to sit here and argue about whether cameras are a good thing or a bad thing. I was over the limit i got caught fairysnuff. As i'm now driving around in my folks 1.7D astra with a massive top speed of 75 MPH (80 at a push) to me doing 70 on the motorways in the UK is SCARY! driving round towns at night is just insane. Not having the speed or the acceleration doesn't matter to the cap wearing gimp squad with their little tuned to the teach hot hatches. You just get in their way and you are nothing to them but another car to overtake or force off the road due to their driving errors.

..but where are the marked patrol cars? the cameras in built up areas? the reasons not to go out and drive like a looney round your local housing estate? they don't exist! all the concentrationed effort of the police is sat by the side of the 40mph dual carriage way waiting for you to go over the limit by 1mph (or 3 to be more specific) just incase someone walks out in to the middle of busy traffic and gets run over.

like i said, speeding is bad, (mmmkay) i just think they're looking in the wrong places for the wrong reasons.

rant over.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 11:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by scutterUK
like i said, speeding is bad, (mmmkay) i just think they're looking in the wrong places for the wrong reasons.

rant over.
Monday, 23 August 2004

Warrnambool police are pleased with the results of a weekend crackdown on hoons in the city's central business district (CBD).

Police lowered the speed limit in Liebig Street to 25 kilometres an hour on Friday afternoon, in a bid to stop people driving laps at high speeds.

Chief Inspector John Robinson says only seven people were booked, compared with 50 the week before.

"The 25 km/h speed limit, I mean we can argue over what the final speed limit might be, but what goes without question is how much safer the central business district was," he said.

"So we'll be talking to council and other players on the local safety committee about the sorts of things we might do [to] permanently rectify the problem."

Police happy with hoons campaign

`Car enthusiasts, not hoons'

Last edited by Quinkana; Aug 29th 2004 at 11:54 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 5:18 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Monday, 23 August 2004

Warrnambool police are pleased with the results of a weekend crackdown on hoons in the city's central business district (CBD).

Police lowered the speed limit in Liebig Street to 25 kilometres an hour on Friday afternoon, in a bid to stop people driving laps at high speeds.

Chief Inspector John Robinson says only seven people were booked, compared with 50 the week before.

"The 25 km/h speed limit, I mean we can argue over what the final speed limit might be, but what goes without question is how much safer the central business district was," he said.

"So we'll be talking to council and other players on the local safety committee about the sorts of things we might do [to] permanently rectify the problem."

Police happy with hoons campaign

`Car enthusiasts, not hoons'
nothing to do with the above but it made me chuckle. i was stood outside the local cinema last night after a night out with some friends. We were watching all the idiots wheel spinning and hand brake turning in the car park when this idiot decided he wanted to try a reverse 180. well this kid stopped, slams his car into reverse and shot back down the car park and then whipped the steering wheel round to try and spin his car. unfortunately for him the car had grippier tyres than he thought, and we watch as the car did a perfect 90 degree turn, in reverse of course, straight in to a lump of rock the size of a mini.... perfect we thought. it was even more amusing to see him get out and inspect the crumpled bodywork and smashed glass. i'm sure his mum will have something to say about him smashing up her little rover.

anyway,... you should have been there.
Old Dec 25th 2004, 9:33 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
My point was not about whether speed traps were a good or bad thing.

However it has been stated on this site that the number of speed cameras in the Uk is a good reason to emigrate and evidence of some sort of police state!!!

People who think that are in for a surprise

G

my gripe is more with the system than where speed cameras are put. In Australia (Victoria at least) you speedo has to be acurate to within 10% of the speed limit, yet you will get booked for doing 53kmh in a 50 kmh zone even if you are doing 55 and your speedometer reads 50kmh?? revenue raising they are not eh?? and what about the new "flawed" roadside drug tests. huh.... this bracks govt has got to go i tells ya.
Old Dec 25th 2004, 10:00 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hels
Personally, I dont understand those that complain about speed traps/camera's/RBT or anything similar. My theory is that if you arent speeding or drink driving, then it wouldnt matter if they were every 10 feet.....

Perhaps I am a dreamer, but I like to think that in some small way, having the camera's/RBT, it might save a few lives....Just a little more important than worrying what the revenue that they make is spent on. If people speed less or didnt drink and drive, there would be a lot less revenue...

Agreed totally... BUT today we drove back up the pacific hwy and there was a hidden camera right on the mark where the motorway went from 100Kph to 80kph. Thats the sort of thing that annoys me, to me, that is blatant revenue raising!! :scared:
Old Dec 25th 2004, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for going a bit OT... from the short time I've been here, it seems like most accidents involve inexperienced drivers (P-platers), maybe the police should divert more of the speed ticket revenue into financing better training and education etc. rather than it going elsewhere. (There was a big thing on the news here in WA about funding being withdrawn from a coaching place for young drivers).
Another weird thing - being warned on the radio where the speed traps will be for the forthcoming day.
Old Dec 26th 2004, 1:02 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I'd agree people should not speed, but lets look at the speed limits and make them reasonable. 60mph on a motorway in a country bigger than most …..
Hello,

Things may be different up north, but down here, on a motorway, out of town, the speed limit is 110kph (68mph). A few examples of this are the Hume Freeway in Vic and NSW and the Princes Freeway/Highway in Vic.

People seem to say that the speed limits are slower here, but I'm not convinced. For example:
- The metropolitan section of the Monash Freeway has a speed limit of 100k (reducing to 80 near the CBD). Metropolitan Motorways in the UK (e.g. A40M, M41, A38M) typically have speed limits of 60 and 50 mph (97 and 80kph).
- Metropolitan dual carriageways (e.g. Dandenong Rd) is 80kph compared to the A4 and A40 in London at 40mph (64kph) and the A2 in London at 50mph (80kph).
- Country single carriageway highways (e.g. Westernport Highway) are 100kph compared to country A roads in the UK at 60mph (97kph).
- A Metropolitan Street is typically 60kph or 50kph compared with 30mph (48kph) in the UK.

The only roads that I can see are significantly slower are non metropolitan dual carriageways which are typically 100kph compared with 70 mph (113 kph) in the UK.

I know different states have different speed limits and I have seen that for an 80kph road in Melbourne the Sydney equivalent is typically 70kph. However drivers in Sydney typically drive 10kph over the speed limit.

Personally I've not seen any speed traps here (yet). However in the 1st month here, I was breathalysed twice in one day. At the time I assumed that frequent testing was the norm, but since this hasn't happened again, I’ve changed my mind.

Regards
Alistair

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.