Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Smile - you are on camera!!!

Smile - you are on camera!!!

Old Aug 28th 2004, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice
Default Re: Smile - you are on camera!!!

Originally Posted by bondipom
Resource wise it is impossible to speed trip the entire road system so if the traps were truly a safety measure then one would expect accident black spots to be targetted. That is not the case and that is my complaint.
It's a pure revenue grabber here,I work at the end of a country lane at the back of beyond,plod to work no trouble at all,next day lo and behold speed camera hidden behind a bush and 35 blokes pulled,all doing 80 something in a 80 zone,even the copper said it was like Christmas,mind you at least he was a copper,the traffic revenue officers are even worse!!!
Old Aug 28th 2004, 6:27 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I'd agree people should not speed, but lets look at the speed limits and make them reasonable. 60mph on a motorway in a country bigger than most Booking people for 3klm over in a 60kph zone. That is what annoys people, spending most of your life in third gear.

Maybe its because of so many unsafe vehicles on the road, 30 year old rust buckets etc, but oh no we cant take them off the road the battler cant afford safe vehicles.
"He points out that as speed increases over 100 km/h, the survival rate of vehicle occupants decreases exponentially. For example, the chances of being killed in a vehicle traveling at 120 km/h are four times higher than at 100 km/h. When a car crashes near 200 km/h the chances of survival are extremely low."

Higher Speed Limit a Bad Idea

Four times increased death rate from 100 to 120 km/hr is higher than the increase in kinetic energy (120/100)^2 = 1.44 = 44%. Probably because those who drive at higher speeds are more likely to crash under particularly dangerous circumstances = incompetent drivers.

------------

"Traffic accidents are the leading cause of accidental death for people aged one to 34."

"While 95% of pedestrians survive being struck by a vehicle at 20 mph or less, the survival rate falls to 60%
at 30 mph; at 40 mph only 20% survive; and at 50 mph a pedestrian s chances of survival are close to zero."

Death Rates From Traffic Accidents and Speed are Unacceptably High

Last edited by Quinkana; Aug 28th 2004 at 6:37 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 6:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by wafoo1
It's a pure revenue grabber here,I work at the end of a country lane at the back of beyond,plod to work no trouble at all,next day lo and behold speed camera hidden behind a bush and 35 blokes pulled,all doing 80 something in a 80 zone,even the copper said it was like Christmas,mind you at least he was a copper,the traffic revenue officers are even worse!!!
Which would you prefer to drive through:
1. A cow,
2. A kid,
3. A laser beam.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 7:09 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We had not been in NZ too long and went for a drive to Hamner springs ... lovely straight road but the speed limit is had those little hillocks on it that makes your tummy flip. On the way back I remembered them and the road was clear and in a mad moment speeded up and was having a wonderful time until this little tiny speck coming towards us turned its lights on and pulled me for speeding .. since then and after the whoping huge fine and points I got I drive under or just on the speed limit but I constantly have some one up my backside urgeing me to speed up.
I have heard from family in Leeds that since we left in Jan it has got even worse with the speed camera situation and there are about 7 on one road in Morley, motorist are easy victoms, their name and address are readily available its a lot easier to target them than go out and catch real criminals
Old Aug 28th 2004, 7:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sky
We had not been in NZ too long and went for a drive to Hamner springs ... lovely straight road but the speed limit is had those little hillocks on it that makes your tummy flip. On the way back I remembered them and the road was clear and in a mad moment speeded up and was having a wonderful time until this little tiny speck coming towards us turned its lights on and pulled me for speeding .. since then and after the whoping huge fine and points I got I drive under or just on the speed limit but I constantly have some one up my backside urgeing me to speed up.
I have heard from family in Leeds that since we left in Jan it has got even worse with the speed camera situation and there are about 7 on one road in Morley, motorist are easy victoms, their name and address are readily available its a lot easier to target them than go out and catch real criminals
What you complaining for? They got you before you committed murder on the road - or would you have prefered to be caught afterwards?
Old Aug 28th 2004, 7:26 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
What you complaining for? They got you before you committed murder on the road - or would you have prefered to be caught afterwards?

Im not complaining just sharing experiences ... try cammomile tea its supposedly has a calming effect
Old Aug 28th 2004, 7:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sky
Im not complaining just sharing experiences ... try cammomile tea its supposedly has a calming effect
"...motorist are easy victoms, their name and address are readily available its a lot easier to target them than go out and catch real criminals"

Huh?
Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:31 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

My point was not about whether speed traps were a good or bad thing.

However it has been stated on this site that the number of speed cameras in the Uk is a good reason to emigrate and evidence of some sort of police state!!!

People who think that are in for a surprise

G
Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:42 pm
sky
Banned

"...motorist are easy victoms, their name and address are readily available its a lot easier to target them than go out and catch real criminals"

Huh?
You seem very angry please share your experiences .. I honestly dont want to insult offend you. Have you had some terrible experience tell me and maybe I can learn from it
Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
If you read the local papers there are loads of rear end shunts at known speed trap locations. Kind of defeats the object of having them in the first place imo.
Rear-end shunts generally indicate that people are driving too close to the car in front....speed traps or no speed traps. It's not rocket science. It could be a pedestrian/animal/other vehicle they are having to slam on for. You can't blame speed cameras for everything.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 9:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sky
You seem very angry please share your experiences .. I honestly dont want to insult offend you. Have you had some terrible experience tell me and maybe I can learn from it
Certainly not at you - re your minor transgression.

The police are there to try to make the roads safe for you - to discourage you from taking your own life carelessly and to discourage you from ruining your life by commiting a criminal or civil offence on the roads.

If motorists will not respect the speed limits what other law will they break?
Old Aug 28th 2004, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

The police are there to try to make the roads safe for you - to discourage you from taking your own life carelessly and to discourage you from ruining your life by commiting a criminal or civil offence on the roads.

And to protect the lives of others.

Let's not forget that only 50% of those killed on Aussie roads are the actual driver. The other 50% are pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, passengers, etc
Old Aug 28th 2004, 10:15 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
My point was not about whether speed traps were a good or bad thing.

However it has been stated on this site that the number of speed cameras in the Uk is a good reason to emigrate and evidence of some sort of police state!!!

People who think that are in for a surprise

G
Grayling

I seen a traffic cop up a tree on the freeway in Perth with a radar gun!!

Of course I wasn't speeding thou

Walla
Old Aug 28th 2004, 10:17 pm
sky
Banned

I honestly can say I never tried to or abused the speed laws in the uk and when I came to NZ the same, even though I think the speed limits are too low in nz, like I said it was a mad mo, they should really have their issue with the teen boy racers over here not the average joe. I have lived in the uk for 37 yrs and never got a ticket thats not to say I never broke the speed limit ... who really can say that ... CAN YOU ... I think not
Old Aug 28th 2004, 10:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sky
I honestly can say I never tried to or abused the speed laws in the uk and when I came to NZ the same, even though I think the speed limits are too low in nz, like I said it was a mad mo, they should really have their issue with the teen boy racers over here not the average joe. I have lived in the uk for 37 yrs and never got a ticket thats not to say I never broke the speed limit ... who really can say that ... CAN YOU ... I think not
I care not if the speader is an average joe or not. Sorry the UK police are inept. Well you now have a traffic regulation violation to your name - a girl racer it seems. My last ticket - 26 years ago - I'm a survivor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.