Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Smart TV's aren't that smart!

Smart TV's aren't that smart!

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 1:24 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smart TV UK to Aus

Originally Posted by simo140379
I am wondering if anyone has had any experience doing the same and will the UK loaded smart apps still work in Aus e.g ITV Iplayer. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Si
I have an Australia-bought Samsung Smart TV - so not directly relevant, but...I suspect your problem is going to be whether the ITV/BBC/C4 website identifies that you are in Australia and locks you out. (That is to say, I would have thought the problem will be with the service, not the TV). Unless there is some sort of VPN app for the Samsung TV (I have no idea), you would need to have a VPN set up at the router to which you connected your TV. That's not impossible but it takes a bit of buggering around. Loads of threads on here about VPNs etc.

Hmmm, I should try to download the UK ITV app on my TV and see what happens...
Old May 2nd 2013, 2:07 pm
Moving to Aus Nov 2013

salibcn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Smart TV's aren't that smart!

Hi, just wondering if anyone has shipped their smart TV to Australia from the UK and if they managed to get it working ok once over there? We are emigrating at the end of the year and wanting to buy a new one here before we come, but want to confirm it will be able to work ok - looking at buying one of the new Samsung smart LED TVs. Thanks!
Old May 2nd 2013, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I was just reading a review of the Toshiba 32RL958 smart TV at £354 and it said the best choice for a smart TV currently was a Samsung UE40ES6800 which was much better value at £699. See:

www.computeractive.co.uk/2219200

I'm not sure though if this model is available in Oz.
Old May 3rd 2013, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

ovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really nice

The best TV I have found for this is the E-series Samsung. (Be careful of the later F-Series as the trick doesn't work with that model), likewise, many E-series Blu-Ray players will work as well.

Basically, you can change the country store very easily and install all the UK apps, which include the BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand5, Netflix, LoveFilm etc.

You will need a smart DNS service (NOT A VPN) to access them, but this is both cheaper and has far better bandwidth which is great for video streaming.

I have plenty of tips and How-To's at my blog called Eye on-Demand, including a more complex method that will mix the widgets from all the different countries together, i.e. you can also keep the Australian apps, and TVNZ as well etc. But that is harder than just choosing the one single store.
Old May 3rd 2013, 10:03 pm
Moving to Aus Nov 2013

salibcn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, I will have a look at the TV's mentioned and check out your blog too.
Old May 7th 2013, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Not to turn this into a shopping thread but:

To be honest, if you dont already have a Smart TV that you've bought, paid for and enjoyed in the UK then wait until you get to Oz, sure you can save some ££'s/$$'s - but get here and find it doesnt work correctly (more from the smart features side of things) then you've just got a regular TV.

There are plenty of places you can pick them up from at reasonable prices (by Oz not UK standards), check sites like:

www.dse.com.au
www.thegoodguys.com.au
www.bigbrownbox.com.au
www.appliancesonline.com.au
www.harveynorman.com.au
www.jbhifi.com.au
www.kogan.com.au (cheaper end cant comment on buidl quality/features most are own brand)

To get an idea of the models here and $$'s.

Whirlpool Forums (forums.whirlpool.net.au) are also quite a good source for information.

Never pay the retail advertised price at places like The GoodGuys or Harvey Norman - there's always room to move, the online retailers like bigbrownbox.com.au not so much.
Old May 7th 2013, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
FWIW, I was just reading a review of the Toshiba 32RL958 smart TV at £354 and it said the best choice for a smart TV currently was a Samsung UE40ES6800 which was much better value at £699. See:

www.computeractive.co.uk/2219200

I'm not sure though if this model is available in Oz.
You can order one from this mob for circa AU 849 when they come back into stock.

Only seconds though but with a 12 month warranty.

http://www.buysmarte.com.au/samsung-...-smart-tv.html

Best place to buy Samsungs latest no problem models in Aus will be Exeltek.

http://www.exeltek.com.au/

Can order a 46 inch ES 6800 for 1100 Aud.

\

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 7th 2013 at 1:16 pm.
Old May 7th 2013, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I work in IT (for my sins) but nonetheless, everytime I come across a sentence with the word VPN in it I always break out in a sweat and cross to the other side of the street....

it just all sounds so miserable..
Old May 7th 2013, 6:17 pm
Wannabe PPP

With All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to all

Kinda on topic, kinda off...

Not that I've looked for a long time, but I was under the impression that shopping for electronics at least was pretty comparable price wise to the UK. I know just about everything else is more, but I had heard electronics were the exception. Is this not really the case then? S'pose I could do a few quick google searches, but I'm lazy.

Is it even worth picking up smart TV's these days when you could just pick up an Android stick? Genuine question. I've never had either so I can't fairly compare, but I'd have thought you'd be able to get a lot more functionality out of an Android stick for much less $. EDIT: Ignore this. Going to get a Roku 3 to try out with my old tellybox instead for now.

I'm going to be TV shopping again myself soon, so I'm starting to ponder these things.

Last edited by With All Due Respect...; May 7th 2013 at 8:06 pm.
Old May 7th 2013, 9:12 pm
Wannabe PPP

With All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to all

Meh. Ignore my last post. I don't want to spark a cost debate and I can do my own research!

I'll give myself a damn good talking to...
Old May 9th 2013, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought our 'smart' Sony Blu-ray player with us - in the UK it had the BBC iplayer app on it which we used. Pluged it in over here and updated connected to the internet - iplayer app has gone.

I've subscribed to Unblock US - is there any way to get it back you think!?