Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Smart TV's aren't that smart!

Smart TV's aren't that smart!

Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:08 am
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light
Default Smart TV's aren't that smart!

Brought a smart tv in May this year after beaning told by the shop that it will work in Australia.
Rang up manufacture to get update of skype software, move to australia came up in conversation, was then told that the smart function won't work in Australia he doubled checked with the technical dept which confirmed the same.

Now I am on the phone to the shop who sold it to get my money back as I was miss old it... Let's see what happens
Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:24 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smart TV's aren't that smart!

I cant see why it shouldn't work in Australia unless it wasn't 'designed for Australian conditions' Seriously though I cant imagine why it shouldnt work as it just involves an internet connection and those are umniversal.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:28 am
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chris955
I cant see why it shouldn't work in Australia unless it wasn't 'designed for Australian conditions' Seriously though I cant imagine why it shouldnt work as it just involves an internet connection and those are umniversal.
Apparently it's only set up for uk, I rang the manufactures up again to double check and they said the same thing. Apparently in Oz they sell the tv I have but the model number is slightly different as that one would be set up for oz. he said I might get on Internet but none of the apps will work. Paying £2000 for a tv I'm not prepared to take the risk!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma_Par
Brought a smart tv in May this year after beaning told by the shop that it will work in Australia.
Rang up manufacture to get update of skype software, move to australia came up in conversation, was then told that the smart function won't work in Australia he doubled checked with the technical dept which confirmed the same.

Now I am on the phone to the shop who sold it to get my money back as I was miss old it... Let's see what happens
Look up dictionary

Next too "Smart" I don't see Australia
Nor Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie

But Oi look under Ars#
Old Aug 16th 2012, 1:30 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently it's only set up for uk, I rang the manufactures up again to double check and they said the same thing. Apparently in Oz they sell the tv I have but the model number is slightly different as that one would be set up for oz. he said I might get on Internet but none of the apps will work. Paying £2000 for a tv I'm not prepared to take the risk!
OK, there are various bits of thing here, so to unpick
  1. It depends on the Freeview decoder if it will work with the Freeview HD channels in Oz. You'd need the set number to find out.
  2. As a UK set you will have apps for things like iPlayer. As default these won't work in Oz (geolocked), but you will find having them is a distinct advantage since (with the addition of a VPN) you can appear to the set to be still in the UK, and thus pick up UK services. You will want to do this, Oz TV stinks.
  3. Many of the apps won't give a hoot where you are.
  4. There is a ready underground in both getting the apps for particular services to install on your Smart TV even if you are not allowed them, and even changing the firmware entirely. Specifically, there is sometimes a hidden menu to change the location. Doesn't fix the hardware related 1) though.
Personally I wouldn't pay £2000 for a TV anyway, and TVs are one of the (few) things you can often find cheaper here.

As a general rule of thumb, the official channels either don't know half of what you need, or aren't allowed to tell you. Treat their advice carefully unless you are talking techie2techie (which you will rarely do).
Old Aug 16th 2012, 4:59 am
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by GarryP
OK, there are various bits of thing here, so to unpick
  1. It depends on the Freeview decoder if it will work with the Freeview HD channels in Oz. You'd need the set number to find out.
  2. As a UK set you will have apps for things like iPlayer. As default these won't work in Oz (geolocked), but you will find having them is a distinct advantage since (with the addition of a VPN) you can appear to the set to be still in the UK, and thus pick up UK services. You will want to do this, Oz TV stinks.
  3. Many of the apps won't give a hoot where you are.
  4. There is a ready underground in both getting the apps for particular services to install on your Smart TV even if you are not allowed them, and even changing the firmware entirely. Specifically, there is sometimes a hidden menu to change the location. Doesn't fix the hardware related 1) though.
Personally I wouldn't pay £2000 for a TV anyway, and TVs are one of the (few) things you can often find cheaper here.

As a general rule of thumb, the official channels either don't know half of what you need, or aren't allowed to tell you. Treat their advice carefully unless you are talking techie2techie (which you will rarely do).
Thanks mate
I spoke to a really help bloke from manufacturer yesterday who spoke to his techie and he didn't know the answer so he phoned me back telling me they have gone to Korea which is where all the techie stuff comes from to get a definitive answer, so hopefully will know in the next day or two
Old Aug 16th 2012, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate
I spoke to a really help bloke from manufacturer yesterday who spoke to his techie and he didn't know the answer so he phoned me back telling me they have gone to Korea which is where all the techie stuff comes from to get a definitive answer, so hopefully will know in the next day or two
Probably best to post your model number and issue on the Whirlpool forum. It can only be a software issue. Someone on there will be able to help, they'll also be likely to know more than the manufacturer. I've got to admit It's not a problem I'd like to solve myself.... Sounds rather time consuming. Hopefully one of the local Geeks will come to your rescue.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/126?g=186
Old Aug 16th 2012, 5:10 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Probably best to post your model number and issue on the Whirlpool forum. It can only be a software issue. Someone on there will be able to help, they'll also be likely to know more than the manufacturer. I've got to admit It's not a problem I'd like to solve myself.... Sounds rather time consuming. Hopefully one of the local Geeks will come to your rescue.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/126?g=186
Avforums seems to be the heartland of firmware transplants.

My guess is the hardware won't be an issue its likely that all the decoders share the same hardware past the DVB stage. Its most likely to be the need to reset the location at most, or maybe a firmware transplant. Problem is your Samsung's aren't likely to be allowed to tell you that.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 5:33 am
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by GarryP
Avforums seems to be the heartland of firmware transplants.

My guess is the hardware won't be an issue its likely that all the decoders share the same hardware past the DVB stage. Its most likely to be the need to reset the location at most, or maybe a firmware transplant. Problem is your Samsung's aren't likely to be allowed to tell you that.
Thanks guys. It'll be interesting to see what LG have to say for themselves! Also how currys react as they sold it to me telling me it will work in Australia, of which the store manager reiterated yesterday, let's see if they wanna put their money where their mouth is as I am certainly not taking the risk!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 5:51 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Look up dictionary

Next too "Smart" I don't see Australia
Nor Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie

But Oi look under Ars#
Noel Cowardian wit.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 7:29 am
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

Thanks mate
I use a Smasung smart TV with a router and VPN from www.*****************, i can stream iPlayer no probelms. Its a good set up.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 7:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Thanks guys. It'll be interesting to see what LG have to say for themselves! Also how currys react as they sold it to me telling me it will work in Australia, of which the store manager reiterated yesterday, let's see if they wanna put their money where their mouth is as I am certainly not taking the risk!
Hmm, quick googling, and I find:

http://openlgtv.org.ru
http://beau.org/~jmorris/linux/lg-hacking/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.lgsm&hl=en (for an Android app, if you don't have the other methods)

It's at the techie end of things, but looks like a hidden menu change is what's needed, using a universal remote. Careful though, the possibility of bricking exists.

Last edited by GarryP; Aug 16th 2012 at 7:52 am.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:07 am
Just Joined

simo140379 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Smart TV UK to Aus

Hi all,

In the next few weeks we are relocating from the UK to Aus and before we ship our stuff I plan to buy a couple of electrical items to bring over (cheaper)
The main thing is a Samsung smart TV however I am wondering if anyone has had any experience doing the same and will the UK loaded smart apps still work in Aus e.g ITV Iplayer. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Si
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smart TV UK to Aus

Originally Posted by simo140379
Hi all,

In the next few weeks we are relocating from the UK to Aus and before we ship our stuff I plan to buy a couple of electrical items to bring over (cheaper)
The main thing is a Samsung smart TV however I am wondering if anyone has had any experience doing the same and will the UK loaded smart apps still work in Aus e.g ITV Iplayer. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Si
Hi and welcome to BE - I've moved your post to a thread on a similar subject from a week or so back, might give you a starting point
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:56 am
Just Joined

simo140379 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.