Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sleeping Pills to get through flight?

Sleeping Pills to get through flight?

Old Feb 24th 2007, 4:29 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sleeping Pills to get through flight?

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
I got some sleeping tablets from the doctor for our flight to Sydney. The OH decided to take some and zonked for hours as we went JAL and had a 12 and 12 hours flights. He dribbled on the person next to him as I was sat with the kids. He then demanded he filled in the arrival form - In the queue I noticed he had:
He had ticked YES for TB
Ticked YES for the farming/horticulture thing
And he said "I haven't filled that in!!"
After a mad dash around the queue we found a blank one and filled it correctly

After all this I then go to immigration and show the medicines we have brought.
The doctor had prescribed "illegal" to Australia sleeping tablets AAARRGGHHH
To cut a long story short - they counted them - showed them to many other immigration people and let us have them back

Sleeping tablets - NOOOOOOOooooo don't do it!!
fantastic story,i like the dribble bit,i can picture the scene..brilliant..

ast
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:57 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
fantastic story,i like the dribble bit,i can picture the scene..brilliant..

ast

No, Nooo Ast, the scene was nearly a massacre!
I had a 4 hour drive to Heathrow, 4 hour wait in Heathrow, a 12 hour flight to Osaka, a 6 hour WAIT in Osaka, and another 12 hour flight to Sydney. I had not been to Aus for over 15 years and the guy said "Theese druugs are hylie illeegal"(Aussie accent)"I cud fine yw $2,000"
WTF???
I thought they were going to send me back!!!!!!!!

Everything we do is never straight forward!
J x
Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:12 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Consider natural alternatives to chemical pills. Valerian works well. Chemicals, dehydration, reduced oxygen levels and exhausion are going to spell some nasty jet lag.

Also consider your flight times when you book long haul so its a night flight for those legs you want to sleep and day for those spent watching tv. Singapore do two night flights back to back and other airlines have similar configurations or alternative choices.

Take into account the time zone your coming into as well. Coming off a flight you slept on for 8 hours isnt that clever if you arrive late at night. You wont be able to adapt to the local time zone so well.

Well - you get the idea anyway. Worst comes to the worst on the second flight drink a couple glasses of wine and then down a bottle of water straight after. Always sends me to sleep
Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
Just wondered if anyone had taken sleeping pills to help them sleep through the flight. I never ever sleep on planes and thought that maybe taking taking a sleeping pill might make the flight back to the UK pass a little quicker. Never taken one in my life so don't know whether it is possible that they can have the opposite effect? Does anyone have any good/bad experiences or advice to offer?
most important aspect of being fully conscious and always alert is incase of an emergency situation
Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all

Thanks for all your replies and advice. I think I might try the herbal Nytol and see if that works. The first flight to Singapore is a day time flight and so won't be too bad but the second flight - 13 hours to Manchester is the one where I wouldn't mind dropping off. We arrive early morning UK time so a sleep on the flight would be a good plan.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 3:18 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Theres always option number two. Go business class and then not care at all and get half drunk, have a shag if your that way inclined (Qantas only-check for the codeshare) and then fall into bed with a nice pair of PJ's and duvet, wake up the other end with a nice breakie and ready to go!

That said - The nytol is probably a tad cheaper
Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:18 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

I take sleeping tablets in the UK occasionally and I would recomend that you try them before you fly so you know what they are like and how they will affect you.

I always book a Friday night flight from UK to Oz without a stoppover so its about 24 hours of flying. I take 1 on the first leg of the flight on Friday night, by the time you reach the stopover its effects have worn off (8 hours or so) and I change planes and walk around the airport, etc. For the second leg I take another, meaning that when i arrive in Oz on Sunday morning I am refreshed and awake. It works a treat for me.

They help the sleep that you do have become deeper, you can still wake up and walk through its affects during the flight, so you can still stretch your legs and have the meal. It doesn't mean you are zonked out for 24 hours.

Shaun