Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should you really be moving to Australia at this time?

Should you really be moving to Australia at this time?

Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Davensara is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Should you really be moving to Australia at this time?

Originally Posted by bu1lder
I am a bricky by trade, on our site I have seen ALL my colegues go, brickies,chippies, plasterers, the last few days I have litterally been alone on the site, like a ghost town. The thing I think that has kept me there is the fact I can turn my hand to anything, in five years we have never had more than two houses for sale at once, now we have twelve! All stood empty. The gaffer's told me I have about 8 months work left then that's it. I am self employed with 3 girls 4,5,7. We need to go/validate b4 september, we are thinking of renting the house out and just going, the estate agent says we will get 650 a month, (5 bedrooms) the counsil semis in the village get that
We are also in a dilema, we have been waiting to sell our house for over a year, now we have an offer, and begin to doubt everthing again. But if you have gone through all the visa process, what is making you doubt, The house prices will fall even more in the new year, we may never get a chance to go again, then you will be sad and wondering for the rest of your life if that was the biggest mistake you made. Does anyone else feel like this. My OH is a welder/boilermaker, and found jobs easy when we visitd Perth Last year to activate the visa, we have two girls aged 13 and 11. Its a very stressfull time.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Davensara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should you really be moving to Australia at this time?

Originally Posted by vanessandave
For us, I reckon this is a great time to move to Australia;

- Exchange rate is favourable
- House prices in Oz are falling (I know they are in the UK also but we sold 12 months ago, phew!)
- I have savings in the UK which is reducing in real terms; this will be invested in property in Oz, which will show a good return in the mid-term
- Moving expenses and setup costs are cheaper due to credit crunch deals
- There is no such thing as job security (I have never had so many clients wishing they had listened to my advice to protect their income against redundancy)
- It's really parky outside!

I appreciate these are generalisations, but, they are my generalisations and I am sticking with them!

Dave
Hi Dave, its great to see a possitive post. We have just agreed a sale on our house today, and feel a bit scared, but we will still have a sizeable deposit to bring over. just wondered why you have kept your savings in the UK and not in Oz where the interest rate is higher.
Sara
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:45 pm
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all

For me, moving alone with no one else or major assets such as a house, now is a perfect time.

Job offer in a great company with fantastic prospects and training, compared to temporary job in UK that I hate and am not respected for. Rather begin to possibly invest in property out in Aus than get tied in here where prices are very uncertain for the near future.

But I guess it completely depends on circumstances...

lerato
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Believe it or not I'd rather be in the UK during a severe downturn than Australia. There are far more benefits if you are out of work for a long time in the UK, especially if you have a family. Also the NHS is streets ahead of Australia's Medicare, especially in terms of how broad the coverage is.

I think Australia is about to enter the worst recession of any developed country and already Australian buying power is greatly diminished with the rapid depreciation of the Australian dollar.

Unless you have enough capital to buy a house outright and be able to survive a long period of unemployment you are much better off staying in the UK. The exception to this is young single people who have nothing to lose by trying Australia as it's not big deal to return when you can't find a job.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Devlin
Believe it or not I'd rather be in the UK during a severe downturn than Australia. There are far more benefits if you are out of work for a long time in the UK, especially if you have a family. Also the NHS is streets ahead of Australia's Medicare, especially in terms of how broad the coverage is.

I think Australia is about to enter the worst recession of any developed country and already Australian buying power is greatly diminished with the rapid depreciation of the Australian dollar.

Unless you have enough capital to buy a house outright and be able to survive a long period of unemployment you are much better off staying in the UK. The exception to this is young single people who have nothing to lose by trying Australia as it's not big deal to return when you can't find a job.
wel we did decide to hang fire for a bit before starting the process, but then circumstances changed. I work as a bank nurse and wards are not allowed to coer staff shortages with bank staff anymore, they have to leave the wards unsafely staffed so the amount of work i can get is minimal, and also there are no jobs in nursing up here

plus hubby works for pcworld. I will say no more on that matter but we have decided we may as well start the ball rolling as everywhere is crying out for nurses and at least we will be going where one of us has a decent job.

Hubby is in retail management and i'm sure he will find something once we get there, if all else fails he can play guitar...lol
Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:10 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I think Australia is about to enter the worst recession of any developed country
Based on what?
Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:36 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is only just going into a deficit situation whereas the UK is borrowing excessively when it's already in huge debt. Australia's dollar does not suffer the same amount of turbulence because it's made on the back of it's exports which although demand has dropped a little, it's mining is still in demand.
It isn't really possible to predict how badly Australia would fare in a recession but at the moment, the news is optimistic. It's a lot happier than the doom being predicted in the UK. This is one of the main differences between both countries. The UK has always been serious, sober and sometimes depressing not helped by the climate. Australia does have a far more brighter, happier 'she'll be right mate' attitude and this does help a lot of people sustain a more upbeat approach to what's going on.

I love the UK and am considering returning there but I dread coming face to face with the propensity for people to be sober and dejected.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:55 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I came here when I knew I was going to be made redundant in the UK because the office was going to be shut and the work moved up North where they accept coal for payment. The Mrs job was not going too well either. It worked out well for us.

Timing of the move depends on a number of factors such as careers, school age of kids, etc etc.

Just do not come over in Jan expecting to line up interviews. The job market comes to life in late Feb.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Both have grossly overvalued housing sectors with the UK crash happening maybe a year in advance of Australia's.
Both countries have horrendous personal debt levels, and both currencies are basket cases - the Aussie dollar is crumbling in line with the deflating resource bubble whereas sterling's weakness is as a vote of no confidence from the world as to its economic prospects.
UK govt finances are gruesome and the huge (& entirely) unfunded civil service pension liability hangs like an albatross around the next generation of taxpayers.

I think the weather swings it Australia's way - it can also feed itself and has its own sources of energy
Old Dec 1st 2008, 9:11 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawk2005
Both have grossly overvalued housing sectors with the UK crash happening maybe a year in advance of Australia's.
Both countries have horrendous personal debt levels, and both currencies are basket cases - the Aussie dollar is crumbling in line with the deflating resource bubble whereas sterling's weakness is as a vote of no confidence from the world as to its economic prospects.
UK govt finances are gruesome and the huge (& entirely) unfunded civil service pension liability hangs like an albatross around the next generation of taxpayers.

I think the weather swings it Australia's way - it can also feed itself and has its own sources of energy

Plus I think we've all got to start realising we're going to be working well after retirement age. It's a good time to find a job that you love doing! Just don't depend on the usual safety nets, create your own.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 9:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Plus I think we've all got to start realising we're going to be working well after retirement age.
You might....I'm certainly not.

G
Old Dec 1st 2008, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

I can't believe some of the scaremongering on this thread.

It depends on each individuals situation, why people feel the need to 'tell' other people what will happen is beyond me.

We have just sold our house and have a few companies willing to interview us from Oz while we're still here (we leave on 12th of Jan).

We have been lucky with our house, but we are good at our jobs and have been told we will get a job without a problem.

It depends on your skills, some will be OK and some will struggle, but I can't see it being that much difference to the UK.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 9:48 pm
Banned

Scaremongering? You should try being pregnant for the first time and having to listen to people tell you what's going to happen. That's scaremongering.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cricket1
Scaremongering? You should try being pregnant for the first time and having to listen to people tell you what's going to happen. That's scaremongering.
Didn't have to, my wife was a midwife, although you wimmin do moan a bit about childbirth though.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:07 pm
Banned

Your either very brave or very naive making a statement like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.