Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should you really be moving to Australia at this time?

Should you really be moving to Australia at this time?

Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should you really be moving to Australia at this time?

Nah- just winding you all up!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:38 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AussieDiva
It seems many people in favour of being more cautious and waiting before immigrating are already in Australia!

My husband and I are moving back to Australia in March 09 with our two girls (4yrs and 7 months) and we can't wait to get out of the UK. I'm an opera singer for heaven's sake
I am or was also an Opera singer, I have sent you a PM

But the UK is really becoming a mess
I know it has been mentioned on this thread that Australia is a mess but there are lots of people still doing really well over here. The majority of my friends and hubby and I are doing very well. Line of work is obviously a big factor.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

vanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Davensara
Hi Dave, its great to see a possitive post. We have just agreed a sale on our house today, and feel a bit scared, but we will still have a sizeable deposit to bring over. just wondered why you have kept your savings in the UK and not in Oz where the interest rate is higher.
Sara
Great news on the house offer! where are you planning to go to in Australia?

Good question! we didn't want to move it to Oz until we definately got our visa, then when the rates hit 2.6 we couldn't get hold of it because it was caught up in the Icelandic bank fiasco. It has been a bit of a nightmare, now I am playing the waiting game with the rates. I can make much more money if the rates go up a few cents, than the difference between UK and Oz savings rates. We don't expect to buy a house for probably 6-12 months so plenty of time for the rate to hit $3
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Davensara is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vanessandave
Great news on the house offer! where are you planning to go to in Australia?

Good question! we didn't want to move it to Oz until we definately got our visa, then when the rates hit 2.6 we couldn't get hold of it because it was caught up in the Icelandic bank fiasco. It has been a bit of a nightmare, now I am playing the waiting game with the rates. I can make much more money if the rates go up a few cents, than the difference between UK and Oz savings rates. We don't expect to buy a house for probably 6-12 months so plenty of time for the rate to hit $3
OOh thanks Vanessndave, thats worth thinking about. I advidly watch the rates daily, its become a small obsession of mine. We were going to forward contract when the rates went up to 2.6, but did not know when our house would sell or have the capital to lay the 10% down. Anyway, we are planning to move to the Northern Suburbs of Perth. Lets all pray for the rates Yaay.

Sara
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Based on what?
The commodity boom busting like it always does and the fact that personal debt levels vs. GDP are higher in Australia than any other developed nation. The small size of it's economy always guarantees a rough ride in any global down turn, just check out the collapse of the Australian dollar recently!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:58 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
The commodity boom busting like it always does and the fact that personal debt levels vs. GDP are higher in Australia than any other developed nation. The small size of it's economy always guarantees a rough ride in any global down turn, just check out the collapse of the Australian dollar recently!

Bollocks!