Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should you really be moving to Australia at this time?

Should you really be moving to Australia at this time?

Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

AussieDiva is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should you really be moving to Australia at this time?

Originally Posted by Grayling
So how is this different from an expat aussie thinking the same of their country?

I spent all the UK summer in the UK....I do not look at it rosily......It has no more problems than Australia.....not that I would like to prick your bubble of course.
Again, I repeat I did not say the UK has no more problems than in Australia. But do you deny the UK is a mess?
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AussieDiva
Again, I repeat I did not say the UK has no more problems than in Australia. But do you deny the UK is a mess?
The UK is not a mess.

I have many family and friends living there and they are all doing well....as I did myself.

I find Australia a mess in so many ways.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:44 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

The UK is not a mess.

I have many family and friends living there and they are all doing well....as I did myself.

the uk is in a recession. has been before and will be again, but i tend to agree with G, it has its problems as does everywhere else.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

The UK is not a mess.

Then let's agree to disagree. However it sounds to me that you might be happier back in the UK!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AussieDiva
Then let's agree to disagree. However it sounds to me that you might be happier back in the UK!
Why

I am here because I made a promise to my son that I would live here for a while.....and I am happy to do that.

....does that mean I am not allowed to find fault with the place?....it has many.

G
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

vanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura about

For us, I reckon this is a great time to move to Australia;

- Exchange rate is favourable
- House prices in Oz are falling (I know they are in the UK also but we sold 12 months ago, phew!)
- I have savings in the UK which is reducing in real terms; this will be invested in property in Oz, which will show a good return in the mid-term
- Moving expenses and setup costs are cheaper due to credit crunch deals
- There is no such thing as job security (I have never had so many clients wishing they had listened to my advice to protect their income against redundancy)
- It's really parky outside!

I appreciate these are generalisations, but, they are my generalisations and I am sticking with them!

Dave
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vanessandave

- House prices in Oz are falling (I know they are in the UK also but we sold 12 months ago, phew!)
- I have savings in the UK which is reducing in real terms; this will be invested in property in Oz, which will show a good return in the mid-term
- There is no such thing as job security (I have never had so many clients wishing they had listened to my advice to protect their income against redundancy)

I appreciate these are generalisations, but, they are my generalisations and I am sticking with them!

Dave
I'm with you!!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

jmoseley will become famous soon enough

Dave
I'm an IT Project Manager, my hours have been reduced by half due to downsizing, the prospects of getting another job is cac, so i can either stay or go and we have decided to go we have our Visa and our flights are booked for 18th April to Brisbane and i'm thrilled to bits about it.......if i have to i'll stack shelves (or at least get in the queue).
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

vanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jmoseley
I'm an IT Project Manager, my hours have been reduced by half due to downsizing, the prospects of getting another job is cac, so i can either stay or go and we have decided to go we have our Visa and our flights are booked for 18th April to Brisbane and i'm thrilled to bits about it.......if i have to i'll stack shelves (or at least get in the queue).
That's the spirit, good luck!!

We fly out to Brisbane mid-Feb and I can't wait, if it does turn into the shape of a pear at least I won't be in the UK wondering what if.....
I'm in finance, so I'll be right behind you in the shelf-stacking queue whilst the misses is at work providing for us (I hope she doesn't read this!?!)
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

That's the spirit, good luck!!

We fly out to Brisbane mid-Feb and I can't wait, if it does turn into the shape of a pear at least I won't be in the UK wondering what if.....
I'm in finance, so I'll be right behind you in the shelf-stacking queue whilst the misses is at work providing for us (I hope she doesn't read this!?!)
And I can sing to entertain us while we're stacking!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

We are flying from Hong Kong to Brisbane 18th-19th April! My DH is an IT systems engineer/analyst..... See my post nearer beginning of thread for my view - very similar to yours!!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

There are still people going on £10,000 or a lot less with children with no idea what they are going to do when they get there. Is it me or are they completly mad ? I am I wrong or just too cautious I personaly would not go unless I had at least 18 to 24 months backup money as I could not bear to see my family suffer through me rushing to get there.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eugene43
There are still people going on £10,000 or a lot less with children with no idea what they are going to do when they get there. Is it me or are they completly mad ? I am I wrong or just too cautious I personaly would not go unless I had at least 18 to 24 months backup money as I could not bear to see my family suffer through me rushing to get there.

They probably are a little bit mad, but I am also a little bit jealous of them having the cojones to give it a go.

Hopefully the system will prevent too much hardship as by definition most visa holders should either have a job to go to, or skills and experience in a job in demand.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Katmac has a spectacular aura aboutKatmac has a spectacular aura aboutKatmac has a spectacular aura about

The building industry in the uk is suffering the most and beginning to have a knock on effect to other businesses. In the south all building sites have stopped my husband will be out of work for the first time in 23 years.
Surely the amount of people still emigrating the housing market will stand up a bit better in oz then here in the uk??
Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

I am a bricky by trade, on our site I have seen ALL my colegues go, brickies,chippies, plasterers, the last few days I have litterally been alone on the site, like a ghost town. The thing I think that has kept me there is the fact I can turn my hand to anything, in five years we have never had more than two houses for sale at once, now we have twelve! All stood empty. The gaffer's told me I have about 8 months work left then that's it. I am self employed with 3 girls 4,5,7. We need to go/validate b4 september, we are thinking of renting the house out and just going, the estate agent says we will get 650 a month, (5 bedrooms) the counsil semis in the village get that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.