Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I move from Switzerland to Melbourne?

Should I move from Switzerland to Melbourne?

Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I move from Switzerland to Melbourne?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
People on 200,000 AUD per annum gross tend to move away from Aus, rather than towards it. Unless its short term.

Unless your in Mining, which I doubt seeing as your moving to Melbourne.
I agree, and thats due to tax ...but the OP mentions 13k net...so that is out of question...
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
In terms of inner Melbourne thats still a very average package. You will need to do some more research on the most tax effective way of managing your affairs as Australia has very high tax rates compared to elsewhere.

You can very easily blast $12k per month on living costs and private school fees etc paid by company are taxed at 46.5% with a thing called FBT.

The thing your wife more so than yourself would find is that shopping (non foodstuffs) is more expensive and the selection is limited therefore usually add an airfare to New York or Hong Kong, to the equation.

However Melbourne is a great place to live on what ever income. It comes down to what your lifestyle requirements are.

When based on Switzerland I take it you got yourself based in France and commutted across daily? or were you not near the border?
You are kiddding me right ? 13k after tax is average ? wow , you must be living in some other Melbourne....

Regards to schooling, not necessary that the OP wants a private school...

What are you going on about new york and HK....

You can blast not 12k but 120k pretty much any country that you could be.,...

Another thing, if the company pays for the school fees etc, you re right FBT is charged but company foots that bill too....I mean if one negotiates school fees , they are clear enuf to ensure they pay for the FBT too.

OP also mentions medical being paid by company...
what else can one ask for...

I say go for it.....
Old Sep 7th 2008, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
I agree, and thats due to tax ...but the OP mentions 13k net...so that is out of question...
You have to pay tax somewhere, 13K take home is equiv to 200,000 PA.

Now the London board I go on, has a few people that earn that kind of money. A solid 15 pct plus of those London board members would work in the square mile. Plus plenty of high flying white collar professionals that travel around the world contracting. Quite a few have been to Aus, and found it not broad enough for their horizons. BTW there are going to be 20,000 jobs lost in the City in the next year, according to my other BBS.

It's a small world at the top end of Broking/financing/Merchant Banking and the higher end of IT, especially if they are connected to the square mile.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:42 am
Just Joined

markie68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thanks to everyone for their input which is much appreciated. We bascially decided to go for it and make the move so the next question is where should we live.............?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:05 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markie68
Well thanks to everyone for their input which is much appreciated. We bascially decided to go for it and make the move so the next question is where should we live.............?
Where will you be working again?

Do you want to be by the beach - see bayside - Brighton, middle park, elwood etc

Do you want to be close and accessible to city? (see above and..
Camberwell, Canturbuty, Hawthorn, Armadale, Malvern, South Yarra, Toorak, Kew, endless names Not that familar with the west so others will add. North and close to city are Fitzroy and Carlton?

Do you want large house or small apartment? Docklands, St Kilda

Get yourself a link to one of the many maps and review tram and train lines. Not nessarily because you will be using them - but value of property is often associated with good transport routes.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

Originally from the UK my company moved my family and I to Switzerland a couple of years ago. Now they want me to move to Melbourne. I thought that Melbourne would be cheaper than Switzerland but various cost of living guides say no? My monthly nett income on offer is just over $13K what does that get me in Melbourne? I have 3 kids so need a 4-5 bed house (we will be on a 457 so will have to rent) will need to run two cars but healthcare is paid for on top of the nett income. Am really excited about the opportunity but want to be sure that I have enough $ to enjoy the experience and carry on putting a bit to one side. Any advice gratefully received.
No offence to guys living in Melbourne, but if it were my choice I'd stay put in Switzerland with my family.

Guess it just depends what you're looking for and what opportunties you'd like for yourself, wife and children.

Whatever you decide, I hope you make the right decision for all.

Good luck
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:01 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katie76
No offence to guys living in Melbourne, but if it were my choice I'd stay put in Switzerland with my family.

Guess it just depends what you're looking for and what opportunties you'd like for yourself, wife and children.

Whatever you decide, I hope you make the right decision for all.

Good luck
Having done both, we are prefering Melbourne.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:30 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
If you do come over bring some chocolate with ya

LOL!

I love you stuck, you always make me giggle!

Long time no see

Nic
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 6:34 am
Just Joined

Grisbi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally from the UK my company moved my family and I to Switzerland a couple of years ago. Now they want me to move to Melbourne. I thought that Melbourne would be cheaper than Switzerland but various cost of living guides say no? My monthly nett income on offer is just over $13K what does that get me in Melbourne? I have 3 kids so need a 4-5 bed house (we will be on a 457 so will have to rent) will need to run two cars but healthcare is paid for on top of the nett income. Am really excited about the opportunity but want to be sure that I have enough $ to enjoy the experience and carry on putting a bit to one side. Any advice gratefully received.
Hi, I just saw your post. I've spent some time both in Geneva and Melbourne. I think it really depends on what kind of lifestyle you're looking for. They are both expensive cities, both in terms of housing and eating out. But with 3 kids, your schooling maybe a little cheaper in Melbourne than Switzerland, assuming you were sending your kids to international while you were in the latter. I love the lifestyle in Melbourne because within minutes you're at the beach, and the mountains aren't too far away as well. Personally, I think it'll be a good move because Australia is a great place for bringing up children.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Melbourne is a lot cheaper for many things than Switzerland, and as for shopping, nothing really comes close to Melbourne in mainland Europe IMO, unless you are talking luxury items.

Have a look at www.domain.com.au to have a look at house rental prices. Some of the better areas are South Yarra, Toorak, Brighton, Armadale, Malvern, Caulfield, Elwood etc.

For cars it really depends what you want to spend, again have a look at www.drive.com.au, a very rough guess would be to say $700 per month for a $35,000-$40,000 car.

And if you miss Switzerland then NZ is only 3 1/2 hours away.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:19 am
Just Joined

kriskrock will become famous soon enough

Hi we are thinking of going in the opposite direction. We moved here from Washington DC having come from London, via New York. Its been a real struggle, not financially but just settling in. We also have 3 kids (16, 13, 11) - who have had a hard time adjusting, we moved to Brighton to be near the water. Nice place but not very sociable.

Melbourne has a great deal to offer and the package you are on sounds simialr to ours, and we live very comfortably - Private Schools will depne don area, our kids all go to local public schools are are doing great.

I have been offered (early doors) a move to Geneva or back to USA - any tips or hints on Switzerland - wife is sceptical ?

Chris & Elaine
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:39 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

What planet do people live on where they are concerned that $13K a month, clear, with many other expenses paid for by the company, may not be enough to get by on !!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
What planet do people live on where they are concerned that $13K a month, clear, with many other expenses paid for by the company, may not be enough to get by on !!
Oh thank god for that! I thought I was reading stuff wrong F*** me, I'de love to struggle on that much each month. Must be flaming hard.

Oh and to the poster looking for cuckoo clocks, there's a whole shop dedicated to them on Mount Tambourine up here
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:43 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

What's p***ing me off about this thread is that is seems to be an opportunity for ego boosting/stroking and male bonding!

There are a lot of people on this forum who spend all day every day dreaming about moving to Oz and it just isn't happening! (myself included!). If a company offered me the dream ticket that the OP is being offered I wouldn't be Umming and Ahing about whether or not I could live in a country on $13k pm - If you're worth that kind of deal, you're capable of making your own mind up.

How about the OP gets off his arse, does the same kind of research that the rest of us do and start contributing to the less fortunate members who need genuine help!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
What's p***ing me off about this thread is that is seems to be an opportunity for ego boosting/stroking and male bonding!

There are a lot of people on this forum who spend all day every day dreaming about moving to Oz and it just isn't happening! (myself included!). If a company offered me the dream ticket that the OP is being offered I wouldn't be Umming and Ahing about whether or not I could live in a country on $13k pm - If you're worth that kind of deal, you're capable of making your own mind up.

How about the OP gets off his arse, does the same kind of research that the rest of us do and start contributing to the less fortunate members who need genuine help!
Mate,
I am sorry but your post appears more to be frustration that you can't move than anything else!

Yes - the OP may have to be some research but no need to come across this rude - if you don't wnat to assist don't bother posting simeple.

Sorry but being rude is just not done...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.