Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I move from Switzerland to Melbourne?

Should I move from Switzerland to Melbourne?

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

markie68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I move from Switzerland to Melbourne?

Originally from the UK my company moved my family and I to Switzerland a couple of years ago. Now they want me to move to Melbourne. I thought that Melbourne would be cheaper than Switzerland but various cost of living guides say no? My monthly nett income on offer is just over $13K what does that get me in Melbourne? I have 3 kids so need a 4-5 bed house (we will be on a 457 so will have to rent) will need to run two cars but healthcare is paid for on top of the nett income. Am really excited about the opportunity but want to be sure that I have enough $ to enjoy the experience and carry on putting a bit to one side. Any advice gratefully received.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default Re: Should I move from Switzerland to Melbourne?

Originally Posted by markie68
Originally from the UK my company moved my family and I to Switzerland a couple of years ago. Now they want me to move to Melbourne. I thought that Melbourne would be cheaper than Switzerland but various cost of living guides say no? My monthly nett income on offer is just over $13K what does that get me in Melbourne? I have 3 kids so need a 4-5 bed house (we will be on a 457 so will have to rent) will need to run two cars but healthcare is paid for on top of the nett income. Am really excited about the opportunity but want to be sure that I have enough $ to enjoy the experience and carry on putting a bit to one side. Any advice gratefully received.
It really depends on your needs and, I suppose, your equity, savings, relocation package, etc. $13kpm would be incredible for many but if you want bmw's, private education and a 4-5 bedroom place with a tennis court in Brighton you might be struggling.

With approval you can buy a property while on a 457 (http://www.firb.gov.au/content/Publi...ing_a_Home.pdf) but on a 457 you may qualify for LAFHA (Living away from home allowance http://www.britzinoz.com/info/lafha.htm) which I understand is offset against your tax . It has to be set up as part of your contract but I'd enquire about it.

I did a wide search for you on some of the more popular areas - coastal, rural, proximity to the city etc. haven't put in so many places including lovely suburbs nearer the city like Kew - just a few places off the top of my head. http://www.domain.com.au/Public/SearchResults.aspx?mode=rent&Refine=1&state=VIC&ar eas=East%2cBayside&sub=Donvale%2cTemplestowe%2cBea umaris%2cFrankston%2cOlinda&ssubs=1&bedrooms=>4&ba throoms=>2&from=600&to=0&proptypes=&ptdes=All%20Pr operty%20Types&searchterm=donvale,%20templestowe,% 20beaumaris,%20frankston,%20olinda

Hope this all helps with your decision.

Carolyn
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback and for supplying the search info. I guess we are wanting more of the "Brighton" life style although private schooling fees are paid for as an extra over and above the regular nett income. The LAFH allowance is already factored in to the $13K nett although I will get a yearly bonus on top of that subject to performance etc. I know the package is very good but so is my current deal in Switzerland so just wanted to try and compare the two and as the job in Australia is more responsibility wanted to assess if I would be better of or not. Thanks again I appreciate your help.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:32 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

If you do come over bring some chocolate with ya
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

People on 200,000 AUD per annum gross tend to move away from Aus, rather than towards it. Unless its short term.

Unless your in Mining, which I doubt seeing as your moving to Melbourne.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
People on 200,000 AUD per annum gross tend to move away from Aus, rather than towards it. Unless its short term.

Unless your in Mining, which I doubt seeing as your moving to Melbourne.
Thanks but can you elaborate on that? Is Melbourne not a good place to be on that kind of package?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:21 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but can you elaborate on that? Is Melbourne not a good place to be on that kind of package?
In terms of inner Melbourne thats still a very average package. You will need to do some more research on the most tax effective way of managing your affairs as Australia has very high tax rates compared to elsewhere.

You can very easily blast $12k per month on living costs and private school fees etc paid by company are taxed at 46.5% with a thing called FBT.

The thing your wife more so than yourself would find is that shopping (non foodstuffs) is more expensive and the selection is limited therefore usually add an airfare to New York or Hong Kong, to the equation.

However Melbourne is a great place to live on what ever income. It comes down to what your lifestyle requirements are.

When based on Switzerland I take it you got yourself based in France and commutted across daily? or were you not near the border?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Im based in the centre of Switzerland where although the cost of living is very high the tax rate is very low so one tends to offset the other.
Still finding the whole decision very confusing, replies to the thread and the PMs I got vary from an "incredible to an "average". I guess ultimately it comes down to what life style you want to live.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Melbourne is in the top 30 richest cities in the world and has been voted the worlds most liveable cities on may occasion, so it doesnt need a lot of working out that i has a good economy and lifestyle. I would say there is a lifestyle to suit just about anyone on any budget, but on 12k a month you could have a really good lifestyle in Melbourne I reckon, better than most!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:28 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 29palms
Melbourne is in the top 30 richest cities in the world and has been voted the worlds most liveable cities on may occasion, so it doesnt need a lot of working out that i has a good economy and lifestyle. I would say there is a lifestyle to suit just about anyone on any budget, but on 12k a month you could have a really good lifestyle in Melbourne I reckon, better than most!
I agree but I haven't been able to find a cuckoo clock for the life of me.Is it worth giving that up.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
I agree but I haven't been able to find a cuckoo clock for the life of me.Is it worth giving that up.
LOL, took a while, but I eventually got it
Old Sep 6th 2008, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Wouldn't bother myself!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I mean no!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I mean yes!

Sorry what was the question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.