Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shoddy workmanship - do I complain?

Shoddy workmanship - do I complain?

Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:50 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shoddy workmanship - do I complain?

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Well were in the UK but I'm sure their must be same type of thing here. Will check the ad, steal myself to call him AGAIN! and if no response report him, but at the end of the day that doesn't get my mess sorted.
KAZ
Not the Department of Fair Trade in the UK - you can get advice from Consumer Direct at www.consumerdirect.gov.uk or your local CAB. Trading Standards do offer advice but most of them expect you to go through Consumer Direct first who will refer you on if they cannot help.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 11:29 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Well I managed to get a lovely plasterer to come around last night and he couldn't believe the standard (or lack of) work done in the house. He also said the price I had been quoted was a rip off but he has agreed to put it right. My original tradie still hasn't called so I am drafting a letter to send highlighting my concerns and enclosing a cheque for the work he has already done, at rates given to me by the chap that came last night. Bet he calls when he gets that eh.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 11:35 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
As most are aware I am undergoing some renovations on my craphole of a home just now. The kitchen is in but some of the work done by the plasterer is shoddy and I am not sure I can live with it. I still have no cornice and he keeps letting me down to come and finish it off. How does one complain, if one complains at all - do I just live with the shoddy work? I haven't paid him a cent yet so the ball is firmly in my court but I don't like complaining.
i havent read ,any of the other replies so if someone has said the same as me i apolgise...

just say this.....

can i just bring your attention to this please,could you tell me what you think...?

easy...
Old Aug 30th 2007, 11:38 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
i havent read ,any of the other replies so if someone has said the same as me i apolgise...

just say this.....

can i just bring your attention to this please,could you tell me what you think...?

easy...
thanks mate. I did show him one bit and he told me my bricks were wonky before the plaster went on! I have just decided to sort it out on my own.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Well I managed to get a lovely plasterer to come around last night and he couldn't believe the standard (or lack of) work done in the house. He also said the price I had been quoted was a rip off but he has agreed to put it right. My original tradie still hasn't called so I am drafting a letter to send highlighting my concerns and enclosing a cheque for the work he has already done, at rates given to me by the chap that came last night. Bet he calls when he gets that eh.

I wouldnt pay him. Send him the letter detailing your concerns and wait for him to contact you! I would knock of what if costs to put it right. Stand your ground girl x
Old Aug 31st 2007, 3:58 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulhill
I wouldnt pay him. Send him the letter detailing your concerns and wait for him to contact you! I would knock of what if costs to put it right. Stand your ground girl x
I wouldn't send him any money either C. Send him the letter, tell him you tried to contact him to give him the chance to put it right but you needed it doing asap. Tell him you will be paying someone else to put it right and leave it to him to contact you to ask for money. When he does ask then negoiate a price you are happy with, not what he wants.
Good luck,
Tracey
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:16 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Well were in the UK but I'm sure their must be same type of thing here. Will check the ad, steal myself to call him AGAIN! and if no response report him, but at the end of the day that doesn't get my mess sorted.
KAZ
Yes, you can complain to your local council Trading Standards Officer/Department. He/they should then take the matter up for you.
Doesn't this type of work have some sort of guarantee with it as to quality and fixing within a set period after completion of work?

In the UK you can justify not paying someone if you are not happy with their workmanship providing you put it in writing to them. Clearly explain why you are withholding payment and give them a period in which to remedy the problem. Send it recorded delivery so you have a record of it and keep a copy. By doing this you are telling the person/company concerned that you are finished asking nicely and mean business. You are also in a good position if they try to take any further action.

If it is not sorted use their money to get someone else to sort it out.

Good luck.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:26 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

GOOD FOR YOU !!! And be as hard to get hold of as he has been
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
I wouldn't send him any money either C. Send him the letter, tell him you tried to contact him to give him the chance to put it right but you needed it doing asap. Tell him you will be paying someone else to put it right and leave it to him to contact you to ask for money. When he does ask then negoiate a price you are happy with, not what he wants.
Good luck,
Tracey
To be honest T, I don't want to see him again, wish I had never laid eyes on the tosser. The bloke coming to fix it suggested a reasonable offer based on materials he had used and the time he had put in already. With what I have to fork out to finish/fix the job it will be about the same as if I had paid him what I owed him in full so that is fine by me. I just want it over and done with now.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest T, I don't want to see him again, wish I had never laid eyes on the tosser. The bloke coming to fix it suggested a reasonable offer based on materials he had used and the time he had put in already. With what I have to fork out to finish/fix the job it will be about the same as if I had paid him what I owed him in full so that is fine by me. I just want it over and done with now.
If only Tommy Crofts from Blackpool road next to the fire-station were in Perth eh?

Strictly 'No Chancers - No Cowboys' hiring policy! ................ mind you; they did hire me?

Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

handbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to all

I think you should have sent him a letter (keep a copy) detailing your concerns asking him to come and put it right by a set date, and notifying him that after that date you are getting someone else in to put it right. I would not have paid him for shoddy work. Let him contact you for payment - he may not. If he does contact you, ensure that you keep a record of dates/ what he says etc - just in case he decides to take it further.

At least you have found another plasterer and hopefully he can sort out the problem. I keep hold of business cards of all good tradesmen for future work and recommend them to family/friends. On a Marketing course we were told that if you receive good service you tell 5 people, if you receive bad service you tell 17 - well now you have told most of BE!

We want piccies of the finished kitchen - it will all be worth it in the end
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:11 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Good on ya!

Like you I had confrontation and I think you've been very brave getting it sorted like that. Well done!

Oh, and keep the details of that good plasterer .... and all the other good tradies you've had ....

Gina
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

As most are aware I am undergoing some renovations on my craphole of a home just now. The kitchen is in but some of the work done by the plasterer is shoddy and I am not sure I can live with it. I still have no cornice and he keeps letting me down to come and finish it off. How does one complain, if one complains at all - do I just live with the shoddy work? I haven't paid him a cent yet so the ball is firmly in my court but I don't like complaining.
Tell him you aint paying him as you need to pay someopne else to fix his shit.:curse:
Sorry just read rest of thread. I was right though
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:32 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you, hope it all goes smoothly from now on

perhaps we should have a tradesmen to avoid thread?
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't he Builders Registration Board cover this kinda stuff?? Is he registered?? (if he needs to be )
My sister in law works at BRB in Perth and i am sure she has mentioned stuff like this before

http://www.builders.wa.gov.au/

Last edited by daunted; Sep 2nd 2007 at 2:56 pm. Reason: paste link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.