British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Shoddy workmanship - do I complain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/shoddy-workmanship-do-i-complain-477536/)

northernbird Aug 28th 2007 10:51 pm

Shoddy workmanship - do I complain?

As most are aware I am undergoing some renovations on my craphole of a home just now. The kitchen is in but some of the work done by the plasterer is shoddy and I am not sure I can live with it. I still have no cornice and he keeps letting me down to come and finish it off. How does one complain, if one complains at all - do I just live with the shoddy work? I haven't paid him a cent yet so the ball is firmly in my court but I don't like complaining.

biggy Aug 28th 2007 10:52 pm

Re: Shoddy workmanship - do I complain?

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 5246760)
As most are aware I am undergoing some renovations on my craphole of a home just now. The kitchen is in but some of the work done by the plasterer is shoddy and I am not sure I can live with it. I still have no cornice and he keeps letting me down to come and finish it off. How does one complain, if one complains at all - do I just live with the shoddy work? I haven't paid him a cent yet so the ball is firmly in my court but I don't like complaining.

I would complain, try doing it nicely first then if he gets shitty just tell him hes not getting paid until the work is to your standard

Vash the Stampede Aug 28th 2007 11:32 pm

Name and shame!

http://www.notgoodenough.org

:)

Streaks Aug 28th 2007 11:32 pm

Know how you feel N, we are having a pool put in at the mo, and are constantly being let down by the pool company who just don't turn up and blame the weather (but there are still managing other pools!) when we have complained they commented that in their opinion the 'pommies' are the only people who don't understand and just want our own way:confused:, coustomer service just doesn't exist over here it seems and as for being the paying customer they act like they are the ones doing us the favour :curse:
Good luck, and I hope you get it sorted.
S xx

northernbird Aug 28th 2007 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Streaks (Post 5246859)
Know how you feel N, we are having a pool put in at the mo, and are constantly being let down by the pool company who just don't turn up and blame the weather (but there are still managing other pools!) when we have complained they commented that in their opinion the 'pommies' are the only people who don't understand and just want our own way:confused:, coustomer service just doesn't exist over here it seems and as for being the paying customer they act like they are the ones doing us the favour :curse:
Good luck, and I hope you get it sorted.
S xx

worst thing is streaks is that this guy is English and came recommended. His plastering is OK on flat walls it's when he has to go around a corner it becomes shoddy at best and friggin crap at worst!

Streaks Aug 28th 2007 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 5246864)
worst thing is streaks is that this guy is English and came recommended. His plastering is OK on flat walls it's when he has to go around a corner it becomes shoddy at best and friggin crap at worst!

The worst thing is, is that he must know that the work is not up to scratch so you gotta think to yourself he's holding out on you so the time has come to not worry about being 'nice' and mention to him that the work is not how you thought it would be and the corners aren't as straight as they should be, keep remembering he has eyes and he knows this.
S xx

birdynumnum Aug 29th 2007 2:13 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 5246864)

Hi NB

Definately say something, you're paying him to do a job, for his skills. If you're not happy with the standard tell him.
xx

Nu-Shooz Aug 29th 2007 2:22 am

I wouldn't pay up until you are satisfied.

Definitely say something to him, you have all rights to do so!

paulhill Aug 29th 2007 2:37 am

Just tell him that you wont pay him until all the work is done to a satisfactory level. Also if he isnt there within the next 7 days you will get another plasterer in to complete the work and pay him with his money.

He will soon come round unless he doesnt need the money!

Best of luck

Sue

sel Aug 29th 2007 2:41 am

You must say something or else you will be pissed of with yourself for not doing so whilst you had the chance.

And you will end up having to get your constant reminder sorted in the end ... why should it be you that loses out ???

Just bite the bullet and tell him your not happy !!!

moneypenny20 Aug 29th 2007 3:07 am

Definitely complain and withhold the money. No point in putting in a fab kitchen if the wall looks crap and it will always stick out like a sore thumb to you. Does he have a wife? ask her round to have a look and ask if she would put up with it:D

wren Aug 29th 2007 3:48 am

NB... Check out your signature, and the statement under your name :rofl:

Come on lass, it's not like you to be shy ;)

northernbird Aug 29th 2007 3:52 am

Thanks everyone, everytime I look at it I just want to cry. I know it's hard to believe but I hate confrontation (well face to face stuff any road ;) ) so am not relishing the prospect of saying I am not happy - that's if the twirp actually every answers his phone or returns my calls.

Vanessa Aug 29th 2007 3:59 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 5247263)
Thanks everyone, everytime I look at it I just want to cry. I know it's hard to believe but I hate confrontation (well face to face stuff any road ;) ) so am not relishing the prospect of saying I am not happy - that's if the twirp actually every answers his phone or returns my calls.

Definitely complain and put it in writing. Saves the confrontation and also gives you proof if you need it in the future. Take photos of the work as well and include these.

letter should be short and concise. Set out the work agreed, what has been done, what you are not happy with and the remedy you seek. Say that you have tried to call him and that he has failed to answer etc etc. don't be rude (and I am sure you won't!)

northernbird Aug 29th 2007 4:03 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Vanessa (Post 5247279)
Definitely complain and put it in writing. Saves the confrontation and also gives you proof if you need it in the future. Take photos of the work as well and include these.

letter should be short and concise. Set out the work agreed, what has been done, what you are not happy with and the remedy you seek. Say that you have tried to call him and that he has failed to answer etc etc. don't be rude (and I am sure you won't!)

Thanks Vanessa that's a great idea. You can see from the attached photo one of the bits I am unhappy with. Shelf above the oven, far end nearest the window and you can see it's not square, sticks out like dogs balls!