Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shoddy workmanship - do I complain?

Shoddy workmanship - do I complain?

Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:11 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shoddy workmanship - do I complain?

When I was a lecturer we always had to say something positive with the negative to a student

You could try something like, " I wanted to let you know I'm very happy with the plastering you've done but there's just a little bit that looks uneven, could you come over and check it for me? I would be so happy to see everything just right."
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:22 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally
When I was a lecturer we always had to say something positive with the negative to a student

."

When I did the DMS we used to call that a 'shit sandwich"!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

If you aren't happy and can't bear the thought of a confrontation, ask your OH to speak to him. Sometimes things that don't seem to be a big deal to others can be the one thing that just sends you over the edge. Renovations are a real pain in the ass and I'm sure you guys are fed up with your house being in a tizzy. Let the old man take care of it.

Hey, call me if you want to come up this weekend for a nice relaxing glass of wine. We've got lots and the fridge is fully stocked with beers for the boys. Now Connolly is open it's only a 5 minute drive from yours to mine.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:33 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
As most are aware I am undergoing some renovations on my craphole of a home just now. The kitchen is in but some of the work done by the plasterer is shoddy and I am not sure I can live with it. I still have no cornice and he keeps letting me down to come and finish it off. How does one complain, if one complains at all - do I just live with the shoddy work? I haven't paid him a cent yet so the ball is firmly in my court but I don't like complaining.

Dear C

I can hardly believe what I am reading!

Once you have reservations on the quality of something, it will always be tainted for you.

Come on Lass, you have waited for this home improvement for a long time now, don't let shoddy plastering get in the way of your enjoyment of it.

Man up Girl! Tell him that if he works on recommendations, he won't be getting one from you but if it is fixed 'tout sweet' you might be more forthcoming with cash.

If you don't want to do it...I'll come over and approach the subject for you!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, everytime I look at it I just want to cry. I know it's hard to believe but I hate confrontation (well face to face stuff any road ) so am not relishing the prospect of saying I am not happy - that's if the twirp actually every answers his phone or returns my calls.
I haven't posted on here for ages, but just had to say I am sitting on here avoiding the fact that I have to phone a plasterer/damp person back for the 3rd time and try to pin him done to a time to come back and look at his crap work that is peeling off the wall. Unfortunatly we have paid him!
Good luck to both of us
KAZ
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
I haven't posted on here for ages, but just had to say I am sitting on here avoiding the fact that I have to phone a plasterer/damp person back for the 3rd time and try to pin him done to a time to come back and look at his crap work that is peeling off the wall. Unfortunatly we have paid him!
Good luck to both of us
KAZ
Why don't you simply report shoddy work to the Department of Fair Trade, I thought thats why all us Trades had to jump through hoops to get our licenses, so that it was a guarantee to all customers about quality of work.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Shoddy workmanship - do I complain?

Originally Posted by pogsy
Why don't you simply report shoddy work to the Department of Fair Trade, I thought thats why all us Trades had to jump through hoops to get our licenses, so that it was a guarantee to all customers about quality of work.
Well were in the UK but I'm sure their must be same type of thing here. Will check the ad, steal myself to call him AGAIN! and if no response report him, but at the end of the day that doesn't get my mess sorted.
KAZ
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

handbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to all

I had the same problem with a guy that was laying our patio, he sounded as though he was very knowledgeable at the quote stage - I came home from work one day, he had started to build a curved wall, got to 4 bricks high. I'm no brickie but even I could see the curve was like a threpenny bit and the wall was leaning! I tel him and said I was not happy with the wall, he replied he had never had anyone complain before, I waited for him to say he would come and put it right to no avail, I SACKED HIM!! Paid him for clearing the ground only.

Like you I didn't like doing it - but they think their work is ok, it is your hard earned money that you are giving for poor workmanship. You have a lovely new kitchen being installed with crap plastering (that you will never be happy with). Give him the chance to put it right, if still not happy, get rid of him and pay him ONLY for the work he has done right.

Go on you can do it - good luck
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:52 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pogsy
not entirely sure if plasterers are licenced trades here or not.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Well were in the UK but I'm sure their must be same type of thing here. Will check the ad, steal myself to call him AGAIN! and if no response report him, but at the end of the day that doesn't get my mess sorted.
KAZ
Ahhh! didn't realise you were in the UK, your right though, check to see if he is a member of any trade association.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

As most are aware I am undergoing some renovations on my craphole of a home just now. The kitchen is in but some of the work done by the plasterer is shoddy and I am not sure I can live with it. I still have no cornice and he keeps letting me down to come and finish it off. How does one complain, if one complains at all - do I just live with the shoddy work? I haven't paid him a cent yet so the ball is firmly in my court but I don't like complaining.
Sorry to hear you have been let down

We had the exact opposite happen to us re our patio installers

They turned up earlier than expected and i hadn't prepared the fascia board. My lads mucked in and finished that off and then the rain started. Rain didn't stop this team from getting stuck in............ in just 2 days our patio which is massive; was finito.

Excellent job, top quality finish by first-class tradesmen. Only problem we had with this team was they were reluctant to stop for a cuppa......... we had to force them to have a tea break?

If they'd have cocked it up........... I think I would be telling all and sundry same. I think you need to drop a subtle hint to your craftsman in the hope he will rectify the cowboy part of your job; if he has any sense he will?

In my game I cannot even afford one disgruntled client because word spreads like wildfire. I rely heavily on repeat business and referrals; one disgruntled client could send me under as reputation is everything in our industry.

Likewise; if your tradesman has any sense and wants more work............ he would share the same opinion I have?

Hope your 'spread' comes back soon and fixes up the bodgy work so it is to your liking?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:56 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat
Sorry to hear you have been let down

We had the exact opposite happen to us re our patio installers

They turned up earlier than expected and i hadn't prepared the fascia board. My lads mucked in and finished that off and then the rain started. Rain didn't stop this team from getting stuck in............ in just 2 days our patio which is massive; was finito.

Excellent job, top quality finish by first-class tradesmen. Only problem we had with this team was they were reluctant to stop for a cuppa......... we had to force them to have a tea break?

If they'd have cocked it up........... I think I would be telling all and sundry same. I think you need to drop a subtle hint to your craftsman in the hope he will rectify the cowboy part of your job; if he has any sense he will?

In my game I cannot even afford one disgruntled client because word spreads like wildfire. I rely heavily on repeat business and referrals; one disgruntled client could send me under as reputation is everything in our industry.

Likewise; if your tradesman has any sense and wants more work............ he would share the same opinion I have?

Hope your 'spread' comes back soon and fixes up the bodgy work so it is to your liking?
Thanks Bob. So far the trades have been super. The floor removal company were excellent, the sparky and the plumber again great and I can't speak highly enough of the bloke that fitted the kitchen. Just hope I can get the 2 issues I am not happy with sorted and the fact I still have no cornice and my granite benchtops go in next wednesday!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:02 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob. So far the trades have been super. The floor removal company were excellent, the sparky and the plumber again great and I can't speak highly enough of the bloke that fitted the kitchen. Just hope I can get the 2 issues I am not happy with sorted and the fact I still have no cornice and my granite benchtops go in next wednesday!
But if the bench tops are not on what are they going to stand on when putting up the cornice
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:04 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
But if the bench tops are not on what are they going to stand on when putting up the cornice
not my bleedin benchtops I can tell you!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:04 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

not my bleedin benchtops I can tell you!
LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.