Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shock at the dentists!!

Wikiposts

Shock at the dentists!!

Old May 16th 2005, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shock at the dentists!!

Originally Posted by blossom
Do you mean in UK or Oz?

In the UK, I think most dentists will sign you up to their dental plan, I pay £8 per month and get 50% reduction on treatment. My dentist offered the scheme to me, and I must say it is worth it. There are no NHS dentists in our area so have to go private anyway and the dental plan really is worth it, especially if you know you are going to need a fair amount of work doing.

In Oz, as other poster has advised, most private medical funds will cover for dental treatment.

Blossom
Hope this helps.
We're very lucky where we live as we have a choice of good NHS dentists. The healthcare in oz does concern me. In the UK the kids rarely saw a doctor, in oz in 3 mths we'd had 2 trips to A&E, 1 operation and a trip to the GP! Our littlest one was so poorly we were glad to get back to the UK and get the care he really needed. I never take healthcare forgranted now and get annoyed at people who waste our time in A&E with a 'blister to the left foot' or a 'cracked toe nail' (I kid you not). I have two sons that will definately require cosmetic dentistry that is obviously free here for them, but in aus we could be looking at bills of up to $10,000 (friend in perth has just paid almost that for his girls braces and dental work). Its shocking. Good luck with littlen Donna. Would you consider private medical cover out there? We had Medibank Private and it cost us, family of 5 over $3,000 for the year (can't remember exact figures). There are schemes a lot cheaper than that, but this one covered dental costs.
Old May 16th 2005, 8:39 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
Agh, what an awful shock, I hope your daughter recovers soon.

Just as a reassurance to future Perthites, my daughter's public school in Joondalup has a dentist attached and the women there are fantastic with the kids. She was routinely examined when we'd been here for 4 months, with the rest of the class. She has had 2 fillings and an extraction (problem teeth which they suspect may have been damaged in utero, she has a very healthy diet) and we haven't had to spend a penny. They just called her out of lessons for treatment (dentist onsite) and I went in for the extraction and nearly wept buckets as the women were so good with her. *Worth asking prospective schools what dental services they provide*

Sorry again for you Madsad, don't want to sound like I'm boasting, just want to point peeps in the right direction.
ATB
Larissa

Not at all Larrisa,its worth knowing at least the school age kids can get some treatment done free,
Im sure i,ll be asking to see whats available at school for my two older children

Donna.
Old May 16th 2005, 8:44 pm
wombat42

In OZ you will notice that the dentists always give you the bill right after surgery while your still under the effects of the anaesthetics so your too docile to get angry or violent when you see how much they have charged.

Old May 16th 2005, 8:44 pm
blossom

Originally Posted by glittababe
We're very lucky where we live as we have a choice of good NHS dentists. The healthcare in oz does concern me. In the UK the kids rarely saw a doctor, in oz in 3 mths we'd had 2 trips to A&E, 1 operation and a trip to the GP! Our littlest one was so poorly we were glad to get back to the UK and get the care he really needed. I never take healthcare forgranted now and get annoyed at people who waste our time in A&E with a 'blister to the left foot' or a 'cracked toe nail' (I kid you not). I have two sons that will definately require cosmetic dentistry that is obviously free here for them, but in aus we could be looking at bills of up to $10,000 (friend in perth has just paid almost that for his girls braces and dental work). Its shocking. Good luck with littlen Donna. Would you consider private medical cover out there? We had Medibank Private and it cost us, family of 5 over $3,000 for the year (can't remember exact figures). There are schemes a lot cheaper than that, but this one covered dental costs.

I agree dental costs in Oz can be extortionate. Our dentists recommended our daughter have braces and at that time I think it was going to cost around $5000 (back in the 80's). We were geared up to go ahead, but daughter decided she wasn't going to wear braces for anyone. She doesn;t regret it, her teeth are not that bad at all, and in fact I think Australia is getting more like USA in that regard - all kids need braces and everyone should have perfect teeth!

However as far as hospital treatment is concerned, In my experience I have to disagree with you. I received excellent care in the hospitals at both SYdney and Wollongong, however, after undergoing same surgery here I now can't wait to get back to Oz to try and get the surgery corrected by a decent surgeon. I have had meetings with several people including solicitor regarding my treatment, all of whom say I have an excellent case to sue the hospital. However, I haven't even received an apology from the surgeon responsible - idiot didn't even remember who I was when I went for my routine check up and I have been seeing him for the past 10 years or so!! Couldn't believe it, neither could the nurses and they recommended (confidentially of course) that I request a change of consultant.

So as far as health care is concerned for me and my family, I would always choose Australia.

Blossom

Old May 16th 2005, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blossom
I agree dental costs in Oz can be extortionate. Our dentists recommended our daughter have braces and at that time I think it was going to cost around $5000 (back in the 80's). We were geared up to go ahead, but daughter decided she wasn't going to wear braces for anyone. She doesn;t regret it, her teeth are not that bad at all, and in fact I think Australia is getting more like USA in that regard - all kids need braces and everyone should have perfect teeth!

However as far as hospital treatment is concerned, In my experience I have to disagree with you. I received excellent care in the hospitals at both SYdney and Wollongong, however, after undergoing same surgery here I now can't wait to get back to Oz to try and get the surgery corrected by a decent surgeon. I have had meetings with several people including solicitor regarding my treatment, all of whom say I have an excellent case to sue the hospital. However, I haven't even received an apology from the surgeon responsible - idiot didn't even remember who I was when I went for my routine check up and I have been seeing him for the past 10 years or so!! Couldn't believe it, neither could the nurses and they recommended (confidentially of course) that I request a change of consultant.

So as far as health care is concerned for me and my family, I would always choose Australia.

Blossom
OMG! What on earth did they do? It all depends on the area you live and the local hospital. Having worked for 13 yrs in the same health authority I pretty much know the good from the bad and who I'd trust! Some of them I wonder how they ever got through medical school! The same can of course be applied in aus. Speaking to our neighbours, they were shocked we'd even taken our littlen to the local hospital, his words were "I wouldn't throw a cent at any of them in that hospital, I'd always go to the Mater in Brisbane". Worth knowing that now. Not quite sure how I'll tackle the dentistry problem.Have booked appointments for us all in July so we'll have to take it from there. Hope you get on ok with taking legal action. X
Old May 16th 2005, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by madsad
Estimated cost $2768.00 :scared:
Oh My God. What a nightmare Donna. I hope this is all the treatment Louise will need. Both for her and the Madsad's bank balance.

We could pretend to be on a hen night when we go out on the 28th! I could bring a potty and you could snog a few guys...I'm sure this will bring in a pot load of dosh. I'm not sure if the potty thing is just a Scottish thing! But it might drum up a few funds for the dental bill. I'm sure Mr Madsad won't mind!
Old May 16th 2005, 10:31 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LindyLoo
Oh My God. What a nightmare Donna. I hope this is all the treatment Louise will need. Both for her and the Madsad's bank balance.

We could pretend to be on a hen night when we go out on the 28th! I could bring a potty and you could snog a few guys...I'm sure this will bring in a pot load of dosh. I'm not sure if the potty thing is just a Scottish thing! But it might drum up a few funds for the dental bill. I'm sure Mr Madsad won't mind!
I think my hubby would be hitting me with a solicitors bill for divorce proceedings :scared: !!if i dared snog other men

Lol!!

Donna.
Old May 17th 2005, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Hafan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by madsad
Hi Everyone,

My youngest daughter(3)had been referred to the Dental Hospital in the city,her appointment was today,Consultation Fee-$50.

Louise has been on medication for bowel problems since she was a month old & the medication has caused bad tooth decay.

Anyway we have to take her back on the 1st June for treatment,she needs to have a general anaesthetic for treatment consisting of x-rays,crowns,front teeth capped,teeth removed,flouride application, (+anaesthetic cost & theatre fee.)

Estimated cost $2768.00 :scared:

Glad hubby was sitting down when he was told the cost !!

We were told we can only claim so much of the $500 anaesthetic cost back from medicare.

A soon to be skint Mrs Madsad

Hi
You can claim some of this back on your tax return - any medical bills you have paid, including dental over $1500 you can claim 20% as a deduction on your tax return. Its best if one person in your family pays all the bills (it does not matter who in the family they are for) then you can claim more back. You have to deduct anything you have from Medicare before calculating your $1500.

Hope this helps..
Old May 17th 2005, 6:35 am
blossom

Originally Posted by glittababe
OMG! What on earth did they do? It all depends on the area you live and the local hospital. Having worked for 13 yrs in the same health authority I pretty much know the good from the bad and who I'd trust! Some of them I wonder how they ever got through medical school! The same can of course be applied in aus. Speaking to our neighbours, they were shocked we'd even taken our littlen to the local hospital, his words were "I wouldn't throw a cent at any of them in that hospital, I'd always go to the Mater in Brisbane". Worth knowing that now. Not quite sure how I'll tackle the dentistry problem.Have booked appointments for us all in July so we'll have to take it from there. Hope you get on ok with taking legal action. X
Think of Kylie and you've got it!
As for our area, well it was Grimsby Hospital that has made the mess - my sister in law is Asst Director of Human Resources and cannot believe I still haven't gone down the legal route - but I can bide my time, I have 5 years I think.

Blossom