Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Wood to Australia!!??

Shipping Wood to Australia!!??

Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:06 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Wood to Australia!!??

Originally Posted by bun
that's what i was told b4. if it's real horse hair, it may have to be removed. no i haven't contacted AQIS, didn;t think i would be able to. if the mane/tail has to be removed, i presume aus has rocking horse makers who would be able to replace it??

another money making scam?

michelle
Horse hair manes and tails are removed, can be replaced quite easily, by the rocking horse tail scammers society. A govt dept designed to annoy the p*ss out of unsuspecting pom, immo,s ............... mm
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:08 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Horse hair manes and tails are removed, can be replaced quite easily, by the rocking horse tail scammers society. A govt dept designed to annoy the p*ss out of unsuspecting pom, immo,s ............... mm

fab
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:30 pm
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
A "Welsh Member" shipping wood to australia, glad to see times haven't changed
Hey Gog!! ....how's things going down in Melbourne?? ....wish you were back in the hills??
Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GrantP
...what are the rules?? ...it is ok if it is treated, as in varnished, or polished etc??

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of purchasing a guitar, and I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with importing anything wooden through customs??

Thanks in advance!!
Firstly, do declare it: failure to do so may result in *major* aggro, e.g. fines & confiscation.

After that, they just inspect it looking for signs of insects, e.g. woodworm. If there are any such signs, probably you'll be asked to pay for the item to be fumigated. Even if required, probably shouldn't be a problem for a guitar.

There may also be a separate issue of paying import duty on the value of the guitar.

P.S. There are some good luthiers in Oz, don't rule out the option of buying there, e.g. http://www.craftvic.asn.au/instrumental/default.htm