Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do I break it to the wee ones ?

How do I break it to the wee ones ?

Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do I break it to the wee ones ?

I may be jumping the gun a touch here as I (still ) have no formal job offer - though assured I'll get it tomorrow morning - but would appreciate advice on how to tell the wee ones that we may be off to Melbourne.

My 3 year old son is ok, he's just looking forward to the plane with TV's on it. Boys eh ? But my somewhat opinionated 5 year old daughter is already reacting with horror at the thought of leaving school and her best friend.

I'd greatly appreciate some tips on how to sell Oz to her. May be a hopeless task but I need to start discussing it with her properly, and soon. Any tips ?!
Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I break it to the wee ones ?

Originally Posted by haggis supper
I may be jumping the gun a touch here as I (still ) have no formal job offer - though assured I'll get it tomorrow morning - but would appreciate advice on how to tell the wee ones that we may be off to Melbourne.

My 3 year old son is ok, he's just looking forward to the plane with TV's on it. Boys eh ? But my somewhat opinionated 5 year old daughter is already reacting with horror at the thought of leaving school and her best friend.

I'd greatly appreciate some tips on how to sell Oz to her. May be a hopeless task but I need to start discussing it with her properly, and soon. Any tips ?!
We moved here with a 5 and 2 year old. The 5 year old had a 'best' friend at school who she had known since she was 3 and they were inseparable. However, I think kids this age are very adaptable. We talked about Oz from the early planning stages, I don't think you need to 'sell' Oz to a 5 year old! How often did your parents consult you as a child? I know mine didn't. Yes she may be upset initially but she will soon settle. Whereabouts are you headed? Both my kids love it here-there is so much to do and see. They have 'winter' holidays at the moment and we have been to numerous parks, the museum, scienceworks, the zoo.....the weather has been generally sunny around 16 degrees so warm enough to go out in a cardy. She'll love it out here!
Ruth

just re-read your message that you're coming to Melbourne! My family look at all our photos and think we live in a kids paradise!
Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pootle
We moved here with a 5 and 2 year old. The 5 year old had a 'best' friend at school who she had known since she was 3 and they were inseparable. However, I think kids this age are very adaptable. We talked about Oz from the early planning stages, I don't think you need to 'sell' Oz to a 5 year old! How often did your parents consult you as a child? I know mine didn't. Yes she may be upset initially but she will soon settle. Whereabouts are you headed? Both my kids love it here-there is so much to do and see. They have 'winter' holidays at the moment and we have been to numerous parks, the museum, scienceworks, the zoo.....the weather has been generally sunny around 16 degrees so warm enough to go out in a cardy. She'll love it out here!
Ruth
Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the response and advice, appreciated ! Think we are in a similar situation to you as she's known her best friend since they were 2. I know she'll love it and will settle quickly. Not sure where we are going yet, I get appointed a relocation agent and looking for somewhere with good schools and within a decent commute to the CBD. Any advice on that front would also be hugely appreciated !

Thanks
Colin
Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the response and advice, appreciated ! Think we are in a similar situation to you as she's known her best friend since they were 2. I know she'll love it and will settle quickly. Not sure where we are going yet, I get appointed a relocation agent and looking for somewhere with good schools and within a decent commute to the CBD. Any advice on that front would also be hugely appreciated !

Thanks
Colin
Hi Colin,
Lucky you getting a relocation agent! We had to relocate by ourselves and a melways!! I think I mentioned before that we 'landed' up in Ivanhoe which is about 7 miles north east of the city. We did look down the bayside (as everyone seems to go that way) but just didn't find anything suitable. Not sure if we will stay in this area but will probably stay nearby. We are more likely to go to the parks more often than the beach and there are loads of nice parks with play areas for the kids, we can also get to the beach in about 30 - 40 mins (or down to torquay on the 'proper' ocean in just over an hour). You really need to just have a look around when you get here to get a feel for where you would like to live...
Ruth
Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pootle
Hi Colin,
Lucky you getting a relocation agent! We had to relocate by ourselves and a melways!! I think I mentioned before that we 'landed' up in Ivanhoe which is about 7 miles north east of the city. We did look down the bayside (as everyone seems to go that way) but just didn't find anything suitable. Not sure if we will stay in this area but will probably stay nearby. We are more likely to go to the parks more often than the beach and there are loads of nice parks with play areas for the kids, we can also get to the beach in about 30 - 40 mins (or down to torquay on the 'proper' ocean in just over an hour). You really need to just have a look around when you get here to get a feel for where you would like to live...
Ruth
Thanks again. I'm hoping to get over in a few weeks on my own to look at houses and schools to get a better idea before the family comes over in Sept. Assuming I get the job offer tomorrow morning - not sure I'll be getting too much sleep tonight !

Cheers,
Colin