British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Shipping Wood to Australia!!?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/shipping-wood-australia-312192/)

GrantP Jul 5th 2005 11:22 am

Shipping Wood to Australia!!??

...what are the rules?? ...it is ok if it is treated, as in varnished, or polished etc??

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of purchasing a guitar, and I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with importing anything wooden through customs??

Thanks in advance!! :)

Anastasia Beaverhausen Jul 5th 2005 11:26 am

Re: Shipping Wood to Australia!!??

Originally Posted by GrantP
...what are the rules?? ...it is ok if it is treated, as in varnished, or polished etc??

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of purchasing a guitar, and I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with importing anything wooden through customs??

The hubby didnt have a problem taking his guitar when we went on holiday a few years ago. The wood is treated, varnished and polished, so no probs.

steandleigh Jul 5th 2005 11:26 am

www.aqis.gov.au

Try this site...should have all the info you need. :)

Sue2 Jul 5th 2005 11:28 am

Got to be treated wood, nothing natural and no wicker...not that you would get a wicker guitar :D

Sue

arkon Jul 5th 2005 11:31 am

You should be alright GrantP so long as you don't try to bring a fake xmas tree with pine cones on it into the country, this causes them to blow a fuse and chop off all the cones leaving a very un-xmas tree. Shoes were a problem for us too. Twelve pairs of shoes got stopped by quarentine for having mud on them and cost a couple of hundred dollars to get them steam cleaned to pass thru, problem was 4 pairs were brand new and never worn so I think the mud on shoes thing is just a scam to make more money. Just avoid anything thats very obviously woody like polished tree stumps, wagon wheels, ladders, they take special notice of outdoor wooden things so avoid them to. Saying that you might be allright with a Gazebo as tehy don't know what one of them is. :)

anya4oz Jul 5th 2005 11:36 am

We brought 2 guitars in, no problems (tho they needed new strings after being in the stifling hot container for 12 weeks :scared: )

Good luck - a welshman with a guitar is most welcome anywhere he goes, really :)

Anya.

Derek Clarke Jul 5th 2005 11:38 am

Originally Posted by arkon
You should be alright GrantP so long as you don't try to bring a fake xmas tree with pine cones on it into the country, this causes them to blow a fuse and chop off all the cones leaving a very un-xmas tree. Shoes were a problem for us too. Twelve pairs of shoes got stopped by quarentine for having mud on them and cost a couple of hundred dollars to get them steam cleaned to pass thru, problem was 4 pairs were brand new and never worn so I think the mud on shoes thing is just a scam to make more money. Just avoid anything thats very obviously woody like polished tree stumps, wagon wheels, ladders, they take special notice of outdoor wooden things so avoid them to. Saying that you might be allright with a Gazebo as tehy don't know what one of them is. :)

Hi,

Anyone know if I would be ok taking a dinning table and chair's, they are solid oak but only waxed?

Derek

Sleeping Beauty Jul 5th 2005 11:56 am

i have also asked this b4, but i wasn't happy with the answer. have had a look on the website mentioned above, but it doesn't mention anything.

my daughter has a rocking horse, the wood is painted dapple. i think i would rather not go to aus than leave this behind :(

it is a worry for me, it has a plaque on it and a time capsule in it, so it is sentimental.

has anybody taken a rocking horse over? :confused:

michelle

MrsDagboy Jul 5th 2005 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Derek Clarke
Hi,

Anyone know if I would be ok taking a dinning table and chair's, they are solid oak but only waxed?

Derek

We brought a lovely antique elm chest of drawers which has only been waxed & it was fine.

Bun, the wood part should be fine, but you may have a problem with the tail & mane? :confused: :eek: Have you emailed or called AQIS to ask about it?

Sleeping Beauty Jul 5th 2005 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
We brought a lovely antique elm chest of drawers which has only been waxed & it was fine.

Bun, the wood part should be fine, but you may have a problem with the tail & mane? :confused: :eek: Have you emailed or called AQIS to ask about it?

that's what i was told b4. if it's real horse hair, it may have to be removed. no i haven't contacted AQIS, didn;t think i would be able to. if the mane/tail has to be removed, i presume aus has rocking horse makers who would be able to replace it?? :(

another money making scam? :rolleyes:

michelle

Derek Clarke Jul 5th 2005 12:42 pm

Thanks,

I never even thought of items inside the house we would have a problem getting through. We have the removal estimators coming tomorrow so hopefully they can advise.

Regards

Derek

MrsDagboy Jul 5th 2005 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by bun
that's what i was told b4. if it's real horse hair, it may have to be removed. no i haven't contacted AQIS, didn;t think i would be able to. if the mane/tail has to be removed, i presume aus has rocking horse makers who would be able to replace it?? :(

another money making scam? :rolleyes:

michelle

despite what some ignorant people say (not you btw), things like animal hair, mud, plants & seeds etc arent allowed in for good reason. Keeping out pests & diseases (like foot & mouth) protects many of our primary industries & native animals & wildlife.

gogdownunder Jul 5th 2005 1:00 pm

A "Welsh Member" shipping wood to australia, glad to see times haven't changed

Sleeping Beauty Jul 5th 2005 1:02 pm

despite what some ignorant people say (not you btw), things like animal hair, mud, plants & seeds etc arent allowed in for good reason. Keeping out pests & diseases (like foot & mouth) protects many of our primary industries & native animals & wildlife.

i've just e-mailed AQIS, just got the auto-response 'hear from us in 10 days'.

does australia have rocking horse makers out there? it's something i've never thought of. i hope so, i can't bear the thought of the lovely thing maneless and tailess :( :eek: :scared:

michelle

Derek Clarke Jul 5th 2005 1:03 pm

Agree,

I wish the UK was far more responsible this way. That is one reason we are only bringing the basics, clothes etc. The table is the only nice thing we have and as such we would like to bring but not required.

Derek