Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Wood to Australia!!??

Shipping Wood to Australia!!??

Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:22 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice
Default Shipping Wood to Australia!!??

...what are the rules?? ...it is ok if it is treated, as in varnished, or polished etc??

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of purchasing a guitar, and I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with importing anything wooden through customs??

Thanks in advance!!
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:26 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Wood to Australia!!??

Originally Posted by GrantP
...what are the rules?? ...it is ok if it is treated, as in varnished, or polished etc??

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of purchasing a guitar, and I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with importing anything wooden through customs??

Thanks in advance!!
The hubby didnt have a problem taking his guitar when we went on holiday a few years ago. The wood is treated, varnished and polished, so no probs.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!!
www.aqis.gov.au

Try this site...should have all the info you need.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Got to be treated wood, nothing natural and no wicker...not that you would get a wicker guitar

Sue
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:31 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!!
You should be alright GrantP so long as you don't try to bring a fake xmas tree with pine cones on it into the country, this causes them to blow a fuse and chop off all the cones leaving a very un-xmas tree. Shoes were a problem for us too. Twelve pairs of shoes got stopped by quarentine for having mud on them and cost a couple of hundred dollars to get them steam cleaned to pass thru, problem was 4 pairs were brand new and never worn so I think the mud on shoes thing is just a scam to make more money. Just avoid anything thats very obviously woody like polished tree stumps, wagon wheels, ladders, they take special notice of outdoor wooden things so avoid them to. Saying that you might be allright with a Gazebo as tehy don't know what one of them is.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:36 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Thanks in advance!!
We brought 2 guitars in, no problems (tho they needed new strings after being in the stifling hot container for 12 weeks :scared: )

Good luck - a welshman with a guitar is most welcome anywhere he goes, really

Anya.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Derek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by arkon
You should be alright GrantP so long as you don't try to bring a fake xmas tree with pine cones on it into the country, this causes them to blow a fuse and chop off all the cones leaving a very un-xmas tree. Shoes were a problem for us too. Twelve pairs of shoes got stopped by quarentine for having mud on them and cost a couple of hundred dollars to get them steam cleaned to pass thru, problem was 4 pairs were brand new and never worn so I think the mud on shoes thing is just a scam to make more money. Just avoid anything thats very obviously woody like polished tree stumps, wagon wheels, ladders, they take special notice of outdoor wooden things so avoid them to. Saying that you might be allright with a Gazebo as tehy don't know what one of them is.
Hi,

Anyone know if I would be ok taking a dinning table and chair's, they are solid oak but only waxed?

Derek
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:56 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

i have also asked this b4, but i wasn't happy with the answer. have had a look on the website mentioned above, but it doesn't mention anything.

my daughter has a rocking horse, the wood is painted dapple. i think i would rather not go to aus than leave this behind

it is a worry for me, it has a plaque on it and a time capsule in it, so it is sentimental.

has anybody taken a rocking horse over?

michelle
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derek Clarke
Hi,

Anyone know if I would be ok taking a dinning table and chair's, they are solid oak but only waxed?

Derek
We brought a lovely antique elm chest of drawers which has only been waxed & it was fine.

Bun, the wood part should be fine, but you may have a problem with the tail & mane? Have you emailed or called AQIS to ask about it?
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:34 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
We brought a lovely antique elm chest of drawers which has only been waxed & it was fine.

Bun, the wood part should be fine, but you may have a problem with the tail & mane? Have you emailed or called AQIS to ask about it?

that's what i was told b4. if it's real horse hair, it may have to be removed. no i haven't contacted AQIS, didn;t think i would be able to. if the mane/tail has to be removed, i presume aus has rocking horse makers who would be able to replace it??

another money making scam?

michelle
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Derek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura about

Thanks,

I never even thought of items inside the house we would have a problem getting through. We have the removal estimators coming tomorrow so hopefully they can advise.

Regards

Derek
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:54 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bun
that's what i was told b4. if it's real horse hair, it may have to be removed. no i haven't contacted AQIS, didn;t think i would be able to. if the mane/tail has to be removed, i presume aus has rocking horse makers who would be able to replace it??

another money making scam?

michelle
despite what some ignorant people say (not you btw), things like animal hair, mud, plants & seeds etc arent allowed in for good reason. Keeping out pests & diseases (like foot & mouth) protects many of our primary industries & native animals & wildlife.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:00 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

A "Welsh Member" shipping wood to australia, glad to see times haven't changed
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:02 pm
Never going back

despite what some ignorant people say (not you btw), things like animal hair, mud, plants & seeds etc arent allowed in for good reason. Keeping out pests & diseases (like foot & mouth) protects many of our primary industries & native animals & wildlife.

i've just e-mailed AQIS, just got the auto-response 'hear from us in 10 days'.

does australia have rocking horse makers out there? it's something i've never thought of. i hope so, i can't bear the thought of the lovely thing maneless and tailess :scared:

michelle
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Agree,

I wish the UK was far more responsible this way. That is one reason we are only bringing the basics, clothes etc. The table is the only nice thing we have and as such we would like to bring but not required.

Derek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.