Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I though Abbott came across well on Q&A last night (he looked knackered though) - as did Gillard the week before.
I thought he looked extremely nervous. Aside from a few obvious pre-prepared answers it was like he was sh*t scared of saying something that could be turned against him. Pretty typical of this vacous campaign (from both sides) as a whole.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
it was like he was sh*t scared of saying something that could be turned against him.
I think you have just described most politicians since the dawn of politics!
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:08 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Part of the reason I was against it was that I didn't get it!
I only got it because of HBOS going tits up in the UK. I moved money out of BankWest (just in case) and it ended up in a term deposit which lowered my income enough that year that I fell into FTB territory.

At the end of the day it was more of a tax rebate than a handout for me
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have just described most politicians since the dawn of politics!
lol, true. The better ones just have a better front. Abbott just seriouly lacks gravitas in my opinion.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
But you don't know that. Australia's economy is still heavily tied to the western financial markets.
And you don't know that the stimulus was needed either. Australia's economy may be tied to the western financial markets but it is reliant on China.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 7:52 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
And you don't know that the stimulus was needed either. Australia's economy may be tied to the western financial markets but it is reliant on China.
Not a claim I made. You must have made that up.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:47 am
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

Last night Lateline ABC had two independents from regional electorates (who may hold balance of power) who made more sense than Labor and Liberals, and support Big Australia, and complained bitterly about the population debate and focus only upon western Sydney and Melbourne when regional Australia is crying out for people.....
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Amazulu;8781735]Every boat person taken in by Australia is a f**k you to a genuine asylum seeker who has been sitting in a refugee camp for years, with all the shit that entails, but going through the proper system (UNHCR, Aussie authorities etc). Fact is, most people who have come here through the UNHCR are against allowing boat people in, and most of the ones who are citizens are going to vote for Abbott because of this. My wife does voluntary work for an agency that deals with these people and this is what they are telling her.

I would take NO boat people but increase the quota of UNHCR people.[/QUOTE]

Steady on there Zulu. I think you've been standing outside on that minesite for to long without a hat.

Keel
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:23 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

They need to make the regions more attractive and less xenophobic. Bob Katter is an interesting character. He makes Barnaby Joyce look quiet and measured.
Originally Posted by balkanghost
Last night Lateline ABC had two independents from regional electorates (who may hold balance of power) who made more sense than Labor and Liberals, and support Big Australia, and complained bitterly about the population debate and focus only upon western Sydney and Melbourne when regional Australia is crying out for people.....
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:41 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the fair deal is to let Abbott try to form a government. If that fails then have another election. After all ANP got one more seat than ALP.

It is exactly cases like this one why I oppose the idea of fixed-term parliaments.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
I think the fair deal is to let Abbott try to form a government. If that fails then have another election. After all ANP got one more seat than ALP.

It is exactly cases like this one why I oppose the idea of fixed-term parliaments.
They should get rid of preferences. The LNP wold win by a mile then instead of the rigged system that allows the Greens to give their vote to labor.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by THR

The Primary Voting as at 9:30am Sunday 22 August, after 10,968,438 of the total 14,088,260 votes, had been counted was:

Liberal National Party 4,464,914 43.14%
Australian Labor Party 3,986,298 38.51%
The Greens 1,183,386 11.43%

Those percentages equate to the following number of seats, if purely done on primary vote numbers:
  • 66 Liberal National Party
  • 59 Australian Labor Party
  • 17 The Greens
  • 4 Independent
  • 3 Family First
  • 1 CDP Christian Party

However, because of the preference system, many unhappy voters place their REAL vote in 2nd place, knowing that their protest vote in no 1 spot will not actually be counted, and therefore the real vote will count. But the Party will see the backlash that they wanted to show.

In this election, the Greens seem to have done quite well from that protest vote though

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
They should get rid of preferences. The LNP wold win by a mile then instead of the rigged system that allows the Greens to give their vote to labor.
Labor would then just form an alliance with the greens and have them as their loopy left wing, just like the liberals have already had to do with the nationals to get past Labor
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Playing your game they could count up the left wing votes versus the right wing votes:

Right wing = 4,464,914 + a few fundies = 4,500,000
Left wing = 3,986,298 + 1,183,386 = 5169684

And the winner is
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01

And the winner is
A buggered up economy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.