school charges

Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

railman2404 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default school charges

just wondering on reading another post that it was cheaper to send a child to a church school than it was to send him/her to a state school.
can anyone give approximate costs of sending child to the different schools
tia
faye
:lecture: :lecture:
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:59 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: school charges

Originally posted by railman2404
just wondering on reading another post that it was cheaper to send a child to a church school than it was to send him/her to a state school.
tia
faye
Church schools about $2,000 per year
State Schools free, but with some costs maybe $100 - $150 per year
Other private schools from $4500 py upwards.

Do a search on Schools or Private Schools, and you will see some good threads on this subject.

Old Feb 6th 2004, 1:12 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with ABC, you can look up threads on the search feature, my boys go to a state school, its just cost us $30 for fees (a general levy), books & supplies were $200, uniforms & schools bags etc were just under $250. So all up under $500 - thats for two boys, both in Year 1, fully set up from nothing, with 3 full sets of uniforms each + 1 sports shirt. The only thing we didnt have to buy was new shoes, their old ones fitted them, I will buy new ones when they grow out of them, probably mid year. With any luck we wont have to buy more uniforms etc for year 2, Im hoping these ones will last til the end of next year.

The $2000 for private schooling is really only for tuition, you would probably have to add more for uniforms (generally alot more expensive than a state school too I might add) & more again for books & supplies.

The bottom line is its much much cheaper to send your kids to a state school, but in general cheaper to go private here in Oz than in UK.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Feb 6th 2004 at 1:15 am.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: school charges

Originally posted by railman2404
tia
faye

Church schools are dearer than state. My son went to a church school last term - cost $600 for term.

This term he and his sister are at state school - cost about $600 for the whole year including voluntary contribution, excursions and book costs of $150+ each.

Add school uniforms and sporting events on top.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 1:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Agree with ABC, you can look up threads on the search feature, my boys go to a state school, its just cost us $30 for fees (a general levy), books & supplies were $200, uniforms & schools bags etc were just under $250. So all up under $500 - thats for two boys, both in Year 1, fully set up from nothing, with 3 full sets of uniforms each + 1 sports shirt. The only thing we didnt have to buy was new shoes, their old ones fitted them, I will buy new ones when they grow out of them, probably mid year. With any luck we wont have to buy more uniforms etc for year 2, Im hoping these ones will last til the end of next year.
Did they ask you for "voluntary" contributions over and above what you listed?
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:23 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
Did they ask you for "voluntary" contributions over and above what you listed?
Nope, as I mentioned in another thread, I specifically asked one boys teacher (we had a meet the teacher evening) if there was anything that they either needed in the way of supplies eg paper, art equipment, paint, books etc or something that they needed that I could donate money for (or buy outright) like software, computer parts etc & the answer was no. Just the $15/child General levy for the year, they are proud of the fact that last year out of 400 kids only 2 families didnt pay the levy. We seem to have an extremely active P & C as well, who raise alot of money within the school & externally, which I guess helps alot. The teacher told me that the only thing they are short of in Year 1 is teacher aide time, most of it goes to the older classes & special ed.

Other boys class is having an introduction night next week, I'll ask the same question & see if I get a different answer .
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Langer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Faye,

Depending on the state you choose and the visa you are on a church school may be cheaper.

In NSW anyone on a 4 year business visa ( 457 ) has to pay $4,500 per child, per year to get them into a State school, this is before any other cost. I had been told a few months ago that this was also the case for private/church schools but I was told by a relo agent yesterday that it doesn't apply to church/private schools. So if you use a church school you don't have to pay the NSW rip off artists, sorry government, the $4,500.

As far as I know this only applies to NSW but I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon Knox is probably up there with the most expensive private schools. These fees don’t include stuff like books, uniforms, etc.

$15k per year for a senior. Think I will be sending my boy down the mines.

http://www.knox.nsw.edu.au/senior_sc...nts/fees.shtml

Last edited by dracupg; Feb 6th 2004 at 3:11 am.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:08 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by dracupg

$15k per year

Thats still cheap, thats only about 20 quid, isn't it?

Langers point is a good one, Im not sure if it only applies in NSW or not, but it DOESNT apply for most people coming over ie most are on permanent visas like PR & spouse etc. It only applies to temp visas I believe.

Dagboys on a 457 4 year visa but it doesnt apply to us as Im an aussie.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Feb 6th 2004 at 3:11 am.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Thats still cheap, thats only about 20 quid, isn't it?
And lets not get into how well adjusted they come out going to an all boys school. Anyone for a paddling?
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:17 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by dracupg
And lets not get into how well adjusted they come out going to an all boys school. Anyone for a paddling?
Cant you get done by the RSPCA for that? Sending them to the all boys school I mean .
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

This isn’t your roundabout way of getting back on to the “nasty cat� theme? “Just don’t go there� as they say in Yankland.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

WE applied to a state and church school for our eldest. He kicks off next year.

Church school - waiting list, not sure if he'll get in - cost with all the add ons around $2000 per term

State - no mention on the forms or during discussion of fees for 457 holders (which we are).
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Langer is an unknown quantity at this point

Rich,

Let me dig out the web link on the 457 piece, I have it somewhere.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:49 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Im on 457 in QLD with kid in Year 2 of State, no mention of fees, after all I pay enough in taxes already...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.