school charges

Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:59 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Im on 457 in QLD with kid in Year 2 of State, no mention of fees, after all I pay enough in taxes already...
Jayr, do you remember, did their enrollment form ask if you were a permanent resident? I know our schools did.

I know Sandra pays thru the nose & shes on a 457 visa in NSW, I was surprised the 1st time she mentioned it.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Langer is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the link for NSW, gives all the info, schedule 3 lists what each visa type is entitled to.

Only applies in NSW as far as I know and its a total rip off.

If you can get your employer to agree to a salary sacrifice ( or even better to pay it !!) you can pay it before tax, depending on your rate it can save a few bob.

Cheers,

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/media/...ts/parents.pdf
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

My oldest son has just started school, it's all brand new for us. Can someone tell me if you have to pay for schooling in the UK. Do you have fees and stationary etc. Also, how does sport work now? over here in NZ the sport tends to be a Saturday morning thing more than a schooltime thing, and much of the sport is by club rather than school. So if we want our son to do soccer this winter, we join a club. Is it like that in the UK? And does every parent spend saturday mornings racing around taking the kids to their particular sports field like you do here. It's almost part of life here. Thanks for any replies.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:06 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaisyNZ
My oldest son has just started school, it's all brand new for us. Can someone tell me if you have to pay for schooling in the UK. Do you have fees and stationary etc. Also, how does sport work now? over here in NZ the sport tends to be a Saturday morning thing more than a schooltime thing, and much of the sport is by club rather than school. So if we want our son to do soccer this winter, we join a club. Is it like that in the UK? And does every parent spend saturday mornings racing around taking the kids to their particular sports field like you do here. It's almost part of life here. Thanks for any replies.
you might be better doing you're own thread and letting the NZ contingency reply
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:11 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm begining to think i live in a different OZ!
I have paid no school fees and havn't had to pay one brass razoo towards books etc. Infact both kids got given the following on day one of term:

Textas (felt tip pens)
books (writting books)
pencils
pens
scissors
glue sticks etc
and a large pencil case to put it all in
also a wide brimmed uv protection hat.

The only thing i've shelled out for is uniform and this is just from target etc (i bought them one each of the school hooded sweat shirts with logos on for $20 each)

so NOT normal then??
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:33 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
I'm begining to think i live in a different OZ!
I have paid no school fees and havn't had to pay one brass razoo towards books etc. Infact both kids got given the following on day one of term:

Textas (felt tip pens)
books (writting books)
pencils
pens
scissors
glue sticks etc
and a large pencil case to put it all in
also a wide brimmed uv protection hat.

The only thing i've shelled out for is uniform and this is just from target etc (i bought them one each of the school hooded sweat shirts with logos on for $20 each)

so NOT normal then??
Ummm no I dont think that is normal .
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

It's the UK people that I need to hear from, I want to know if you have to pay for anything in England. But my brother just rang and he reckons it's all free where they live, but wasn't completely sure.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:14 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Ummm no I dont think that is normal .
so why is everyone always moaning about the cost of schools then
Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

It's the UK people that I need to hear from, I want to know if you have to pay for anything in England. But my brother just rang and he reckons it's all free where they live, but wasn't completely sure.
ooppss, sorry daisy, thought you were in NZ!
Yep schoolings free in uk (unless at public) there are often optional out of hours clubs to pay for and "optional" fees to cover the costs of the buses for swimming etc.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: school charges

Originally posted by railman2404
just wondering on reading another post that it was cheaper to send a child to a church school than it was to send him/her to a state school.
can anyone give approximate costs of sending child to the different schools
tia
faye
:lecture: :lecture:

It has cost us $70 for the booklist, about $50 for uniform and then there is a voluntary contribution of $30 and a years swimming costs $30. Not too bad really

Claire
Old Feb 6th 2004, 10:02 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by hevs
so why is everyone always moaning about the cost of schools then
I said I DONT think its normal to not have to pay for stuff for school. As I posted earlier, it cost me about $500 to outfit the 2 boys for school, some of that will last longer than the year eg uniforms, school bags etc. Thats pretty cheap I think, even going to a state school. I have NO idea why you havent had to pay anything, unless somehow your school has a setup where they supply the things needed like books etc & will invoice you for it
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Daisy here in surrey, and Berks my kids have been to church school in both counties and they are free. We pay for uniforms and school trips, pens pencils, calculators. Sport is in school time or after school. my son plays soccer for the school ,all games are after school. Nothing on Saturday.
Daughters school is private and we pay for everything, stationary, uniform, trips, books, sport is in school time she plays for school hockey and netball teams after school, nothing on saturday. Having said that we did look at one school in Berks where Saturday am sport compulsory.
When son was young we were busy saturdays taking him to cubs soccer games, & swimming lessons. But I also spent many an evening ferrying both kids to activities!
Helinuk
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

kcsb17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

Other boys class is having an introduction night next week, I'll ask the same question & see if I get a different answer .
Hi Mrs DB,

Were your twins split up by school policy or your own choice ? I would love the chance to have my two split up but their school here in UK only has 1 class for each year. By 3pm they are sick to death of each other and squabble until bedtime !!

Sorry to the rest of you for sending this thread off on a tangent.

K
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

hevs, I AM in NZ, but enquiring about UK schools for when we visit in 06.

Helinuk, thanks for the reply. It sounds like schooling is mainly free there then, sounds good. And sport is run by the school on weekdays. That sounds good too.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Gladrags is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Daisy.
Schooling is free in England with the odd add on occasionally. You will be asked to give a 'voluntary' contribution towards the cost of a day trip etc. In other words if enough parents pay up they will run the trip!
School uniforms usually consist of a sweatshirt and long trousers or skirt, depending on your preference!
Usually you would provide your own pencils etc but books are provided.
School meals are free to those on low incomes. If that doesn't apply then you can provide a packed lunch or pay a small fee for a hot meal.
Sports are the exclusive preserve of the school. Many schools provide after school sports clubs, some even in lunch times. Many schools participate in inter school sports competitions. Weekend sport went west when teachers in the 80s went on strike and Saturday sport became a thing of the past. Saturday/Sunday sports are invariably run by enthusiastic parents. Usaually well organised.
There are always slight variations in schools but I think these guidelines will apply in most. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.