Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

rose tinted glasses for sale...

rose tinted glasses for sale...

Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:15 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: rose tinted glasses for sale...

Originally Posted by themerlin
Funny I see loads of women on the train each morning showing off there Harrods bags (the green ones) they must think it's the height of cool Grass is always greener I guess.

OMG do people still do that!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:54 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aston man
just reading another thread it got me wondering how much money is being made from selling the rose tinted glasses here in th u.k..

everywhere you turn here,its on the radio,in the papers,programs on bbc1 at the height of winter,programs showing beautiful sunny beaches,houses with pools and its freezing here!!!!

it would turn any ones head..

but they dont tell the whole story do they?

problems with work permits,house prices.. etc.etc..

i am amazed when i talk to some people ,how little knowledge of what they are entering into....

perhaps its about time they did a program about australia that shows the real story,not the one from the rose coloured camera...

ast
I think its unfair to blame the media etc - TV programmes are usually on for entertainment reasons rather than factual info - if you choose to make your important life decisions based on TV/media what do you really expect?

Also everyone is different so what works or doesn't work for a few popple involved on a TV programme may not be the same for you. A programme showing all the negatives would be as unrealistic as one showing all the positives - I actually think that if you watched all the Wanted - Down Under shows they mentioned many of the negatives - only briefly and possibly only 1 per show but they were mentioned - some people can filter those out and do more research but others won't.

Essentially there are those in the world who make it and those who don't - some will love Australia and some won't - you can't prevent other people making mistakes and I don't think its worth bothering - the info is out there for those of us who want to find it - but even if I read the MBTUK forum everyday I still want to go and find out for myself.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
just reading another thread it got me wondering how much money is being made from selling the rose tinted glasses here in th u.k..

everywhere you turn here,its on the radio,in the papers,programs on bbc1 at the height of winter,programs showing beautiful sunny beaches,houses with pools and its freezing here!!!!

it would turn any ones head..

but they dont tell the whole story do they?

problems with work permits,house prices.. etc.etc..

i am amazed when i talk to some people ,how little knowledge of what they are entering into....

i was talking to a chippy,he told me he and his brother in law were going to buy houses for £15 k ,that had been attacked by termites they were going to do them up and sell them on...
jeez...

he also had no idea,of house prices or wages..
honest this is what he said to me."i have got a job lined up with my brother in law..$750 a week",i said thats not a lot,so he rang his brother in law and his brother in law said "no thats a day"...bloody hell..

i rang my agent a couple of weeks ago and asked if i needed a permit to lay bricks in perth..his answer,"ring a building company in perth"..jezus i am paying him 3k..money for old rope or what...

perhaps its about time they did a program about australia that shows the real story,not the one from the rose coloured camera...

ast
Been thinking the same myself aston.

Without a doubt, they do a really good marketing job, but then it wouldn't be difficult with the beaches and sun etc.

I certainly take the official 'skills shortage' line, with a pinch of salt. It seems to me a really convenient way of acquiring skilled people at absolutely no cost. In fact the opposite is the case, people are queuing up to throw money at the Aus government, enough to support an entire migration 'industry'.

We're due in Brisbane around the end of May, and with two kids we've bought the 'opportunities and quality of life' ticket. However, I just wonder how I'd feel if, ten years down the line, I find my eldest struggling for work because training places and apprenticeships have become a thing of the past?

Andy
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:54 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

i saw two agencies regarding my application,one was the biggest in the country and the other which i am using is a small family concern,to be honest they have been there every time i wanted them..and i would recommend them to anyone...

but i wonder how many of us have sat at the initial interview and been asked the question..what do you expect from australia?

that could yes, lose the agent a sale,but it would at least give people an idea what they are entering into..and save them a very expensive mistake...

i have been lucky enough to talk to members in perth at 2 am in the morning lots of times..and get help from them to my questions..but not everyone has been lucky enough like me to find this site...

thank you all out there in oz that have helped me and mine get this far...

aston..

Last edited by aston man; Mar 21st 2007 at 4:14 pm.