Reload this Page >

Bank Accounts - Paperwork

Bank Accounts - Paperwork

Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:20 pm
ian&juliette

grij is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Bank Accounts - Paperwork

Hi,

Can anyone anyone advise specifically what paperwork we should bring with us to open a bank account, and to prove creditworthiness for renting, tax etc

Also how long do we need to keep bank / credit card statements for? - I have the last 10 years worth, but don't want to bring them all -would the last 2 years be enough?

Thanks
Ian
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:28 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Accounts - Paperwork

Originally Posted by grij
Hi,

Can anyone anyone advise specifically what paperwork we should bring with us to open a bank account, and to prove creditworthiness for renting, tax etc

Also how long do we need to keep bank / credit card statements for? - I have the last 10 years worth, but don't want to bring them all -would the last 2 years be enough?

Thanks
Ian
You can open bank accounts while still in the UK, and it's a good idea to do it... saves time, etc when you get here...

Creditworthiness doesn't work the same way over here... They like to keep records of bad things not good things... For renting, money counts for a lot so bring enough to be able to put 3 months down up front and things get remarkably easier...

I brought 2 years worth of everything although I've never had to get them out... No-one's ever asked to see any financial stuff from the UK... But I'd bring 2 years anyway in case...

Get your Aussie driving licence sorted ASAP... Everyone will ask for it's number...

HTH
Old Mar 17th 2007, 7:51 pm
ian&juliette

grij is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rodders39
You can open bank accounts while still in the UK, and it's a good idea to do it... saves time, etc when you get here...

Creditworthiness doesn't work the same way over here... They like to keep records of bad things not good things... For renting, money counts for a lot so bring enough to be able to put 3 months down up front and things get remarkably easier...

I brought 2 years worth of everything although I've never had to get them out... No-one's ever asked to see any financial stuff from the UK... But I'd bring 2 years anyway in case...

Get your Aussie driving licence sorted ASAP... Everyone will ask for it's number...

HTH
Hi Rodders!

Thanks for the reply!

Will bring 2 years worth of papers with me just in case, and will ditch the rest!

Will also sort out the driving licence as soon as we can.

Thanks
Ian
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:20 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a good idea to open a bank account while you are in the UK. If you open one once you arrive then the bank will require you to pass what is know as 100 point id. For this a passport and Australian drivers licence will be sufficient. So as already mentioned sort out your Aussie Drivers Licence as soon as you can after you arrive.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

willywonka is an unknown quantity at this point

which banks are best to open the account with here in uk for out in oz?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the 2 biggest ones are ANZ and Westpac. Although which is best for you will depend on where you're going - try googling your target town for banks, see which have branches there.
We are starting off with Westpac, who let you open a Westpac One account from the UK. It is $5 a month, gives you a current account & a fairly high interest savings account. If it doesn't suit us once we're there then we'll change it. We chose that because Westpac have an office in London with a lovely chap who explains it all. Try googling westpac migrant banking london, or do a search on here.
Obviously from the UK it is a deposit only account, meaning that you can transfer money in to it but can't take any out until you have visited a branch in person with some ID.