Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

restaurants close so early here

restaurants close so early here

Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

watford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant future
Default Re: restaurants close so early here

I have been dealing with ebay for years and always find what I want at a good price and postage.

ALso there are lots of great shops out there you just have to look for them.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DadAgain
you'd be amazed what you can find
Originally Posted by watford
you just have to look for them.
That saves me typing something up

Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
Be warned - if you want to live in Queensland you're going to have to get used to living like an eighty year old.

It's nowhere near so bad elsewhere - which is why the average Australian wouldn't dream of living in Queensland until after they've retired.
What complete nonsense I can't even be bothered to answer with facts, had to put something though

I like going out to dinner at 7pm, it suits us down to the ground and we're no where near 80, just like my food to be in my stomach or further before I go to bed, maybe I'm odd - no answers required
Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:50 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
It's also the fact that Aussie online 'shopping' tends to involve just downloading or virtually leafing through a PDF version of the current junk mail catalogue, then going to the store anyway to buy it.
I believe the main reason for that is that many shops operate as a franchise here rather than being owned by one company. Therefore they can, and do, sell different things at different prices. If the main company tried to set up an internet store they would presumably be taking business away from franchisees contrary to legal agreements?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:01 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Amazon UK deliver here though so what is the problem. I order loads of books from them.

That's fine for books, CDs and DVDs, the problem comes when you try to order something else - electronics, or Lego or something, and Amazon then decline to service your order because it breaches their delivery policy.

S
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Must say though that the irony in this thread is pretty tangible - Brits complaining about restaurants closing early when they are perhaps the worst country in Europe for this and renowned for going to bed early.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:16 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Must say though that the irony in this thread is pretty tangible - Brits complaining about restaurants closing early when they are perhaps the worst country in Europe for this and renowned for going to bed early.

Yeah - I remember going to Hunstanton in July in 2004, at the height of the summer season, and the fish and chip shop closed at 8pm. Our money went across the table at the local curry house instead.

S
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I actually found the opposite, having lived in Melbourne and Sydney, then moving to the UK in 2001 I though the UK shut down early in comparison and I still do.
Totally agree

We have one 365/24/7 restaurant in Coburg, and two open till 3am. Go down to Brunswick and there are heaps that are open till 3am.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 16th 2009 at 5:37 am.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:59 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Totally agree

We have one 365/24/7 restaurant in Coburg, and two open till 3am. Go down to Brunswick and there are heaps that are open till 3am.
That could be handy in Perth so we have somewhere to go for breakfast.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:01 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
That could be handy in Perth so we have somewhere to go for breakfast.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:06 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sprintman
After several holidays there (free company provided) I wouldn't live there period. It's very very backward.
you got a free callgirl? Seems progressive to me!