Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

restaurants close so early here

restaurants close so early here

Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

watford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant future
Default restaurants close so early here

I have been here years and love it,but one thing that annoys me is why restaurants close so early here.
My rellies come over from the uk and about 9pm say shall we go out for dinner ? They cant believe it when I say most places shut here about 9.30. I went to a Bali restaurant today to book a table for 12 for next weekend only to be told they too shut at 9.30pm on a sat night.
even chippys shut about 8.30...why ????
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:20 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: restaurants close so early here

Having been brought up in NZ, I was surprised when I got the UK to find people didn't even start going out till 9pm. I still find it hard getting going that late. Don't know why that is though.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

watford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant futurewatford has a brilliant future

I remember that you'd come out of the pubs and 10.30 pm and go for a curry.dont think my tummy could take that nowadays though !!!
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:32 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

people get up early here and go to bed early too!

When I first came over we were kicked out of a restaurant at 10pm which thought was very early!

bars are sometimes open.

I have got used to it now
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the Uk and have our Aussie family over to stay frequently. They start getting hungry at 4pm and asking where we are going to eat. I have to make early bookings for them - first sitting at 7pm as the place opens. They must go home thinking eating out is a very quiet experience in the UK..

On the flip side, we have been to Australia and NZ a fair few times and I have lost count of the times we have gone to bed hungry because we were touring and turned up in a town after everything had shut.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by watford
I have been here years and love it,but one thing that annoys me is why restaurants close so early here.
My rellies come over from the uk and about 9pm say shall we go out for dinner ? They cant believe it when I say most places shut here about 9.30. I went to a Bali restaurant today to book a table for 12 for next weekend only to be told they too shut at 9.30pm on a sat night.
even chippys shut about 8.30...why ????
Getting up at 4 or 5 am each day, and people tend to want to have eaten dinner well before 9pm.

That is how it was, and still is, for many people, here in QLD.

However, I have noticed a change in my part of QLD over the last few years, and things seem to be staying open later now.

It was very different in Sydney, when we lived down there.
We got up a lot later, and went out later in the evenings.

Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

I am not an early riser,though hubbys up at 5 every morning. I never go to bed before 10.30 in the evenings.I do think its nice to sit round a table in a nice restaurant with good company and a glass of wine after a nice meal.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

We found the same thing in the US. We would do something in the evening, and then go to dinner, and everywhere would be shut! One night we drove round for about an hour before finally finding a TGI Fridays that was open. Very odd.

I am normally more of a 7pm person anyway. Hubbie's family in Manchester if we went out would always insist on booking tables for 5pm!! That is still the afternoon to me!
Old Feb 14th 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually found the opposite, having lived in Melbourne and Sydney, then moving to the UK in 2001 I though the UK shut down early in comparison and I still do.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by watford
I am not an early riser,though hubbys up at 5 every morning. I never go to bed before 10.30 in the evenings.I do think its nice to sit round a table in a nice restaurant with good company and a glass of wine after a nice meal.
I'm not an early riser and was surprised the first couple of times I went out to dinner in Brisbane and by 8.30 they were stacking chairs on the tables around us. Am used to it now but even at home we don't eat much before 8
Old Feb 14th 2009, 1:01 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

'tis a bit of shocker how early everything shuts. And god forbid you get the munchies on a Tuesday, because the only thing you'll be eating is a three week old sausage roll from the pie cabinet in the petrol station.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Getting up at 4 or 5 am each day, and people tend to want to have eaten dinner well before 9pm.

That is how it was, and still is, for many people, here in QLD.

However, I have noticed a change in my part of QLD over the last few years, and things seem to be staying open later now.

It was very different in Sydney, when we lived down there.
We got up a lot later, and went out later in the evenings.
Surely not everyone gets up at that time of morning in Queensland as it's optional I used to get up at 2am in England for work but restaurants were still open late so where does that excuse come into the reckoning??
Old Feb 14th 2009, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Surely not everyone gets up at that time of morning in Queensland as it's optional I used to get up at 2am in England for work but restaurants were still open late so where does that excuse come into the reckoning??
Up at 7am and in bed at?..well I'm still up now . QLD the old persons state
Old Feb 14th 2009, 2:22 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it's a cultural thing. For example, in Sweden people seem to eat lunch at about 11.30am and dinner at about 6.00pm, which always seems odd to me...

Working hours are usually earlier in Australia than in the UK too, particularly compared with London and the south-east.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMRE
Up at 7am and in bed at?..well I'm still up now . QLD the old persons state
Well i'm off to bed now ! Or , am i just getting up ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.