Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Repeat medical - help needed !!!!!!!!!!

Repeat medical - help needed !!!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 29th 2004, 4:00 pm
Cheeky

Default Re: Repeat medical - help needed !!!!!!!!!!

Hi Cas,

You must be tearing your hair out! How damn annoying and the un-necessary stress caused, you can well do without.

Im sorry I cant give you any advice but I wanted to offer support.

Cheeky
xx
(PS it was lovely to meet you and Tony on Sat xx)

Old Nov 29th 2004, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Hi Cas,

You must be tearing your hair out! How damn annoying and the un-necessary stress caused, you can well do without.

Im sorry I cant give you any advice but I wanted to offer support.

Cheeky
xx
(PS it was lovely to meet you and Tony on Sat xx)
Hi Cas, Great to meet up with you on Saturday. How frustrating to hear about your meds! You must be so stressed! If your Dr is refusing, couldn't you get an appointment with another Dr on the list & repeat the tests? Not that I see the point as the 1st ones were ok, but this is DIMIAs game & their rules. Good Luck, hope you get on OK Vikk
Old Nov 29th 2004, 7:10 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Bit of an update about the situation which is turning from a nightmare into a farce.

I just phoned up the Consultant Radiologist to make another appointment for my repeat CxR. He said that there was no need for another one as the former one had come out well, and was clear - no problems detected at all.
He also said that he is not happy to give me another one due to the risk posed by excess radiation. If DIMIA still insist, then he will do it, but wants them to contact him, giving reasons..........and he is on holiday till next week as of tomorrow!

Give me strength !!!
Cas
Cas there is less radiation in a CXR than the flight to australia by plane!
A respiratory SPR told me that once. Honestly there is more radiation flying, another 1 won't do any harm. In saying that it is ludicrous and he is right to question it. Only means delays for you though

Lynn
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:10 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Caz,

Oh b*gger, poor you (and poor Tony: he must be worried, too).

Can't help you on the medical side, I'm afraid, only got as far as biology o-level on that front but as others here have suggested, it's very likely that they are just being extra picky and doing a 'belt and braces' because you are a nurse. Several medics in my family have emigrated to the USA, & they had to go thru quite excessive medical investigations as standard.

So chin up, gal, and I'm sure it'll be Ok in the end...

Anya.
xx
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Caz,

Oh b*gger, poor you (and poor Tony: he must be worried, too).

Can't help you on the medical side, I'm afraid, only got as far as biology o-level on that front but as others here have suggested, it's very likely that they are just being extra picky and doing a 'belt and braces' because you are a nurse. Several medics in my family have emigrated to the USA, & they had to go thru quite excessive medical investigations as standard.

So chin up, gal, and I'm sure it'll be Ok in the end...

Anya.
xx
Hi Anya,

I think it will be OK too, but the main worry is that it will bugger up our plans to leave on the 10th of January.

Knowing DIMIA they've probably lost the bloody things......
Old Nov 30th 2004, 1:07 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Cas there is less radiation in a CXR than the flight to australia by plane!
A respiratory SPR told me that once. Honestly there is more radiation flying, another 1 won't do any harm. In saying that it is ludicrous and he is right to question it. Only means delays for you though

Lynn
Well at least Cas won't end up glowing in the dark then!

Any other ideas folks on the cause for repeat meds?
Old Nov 30th 2004, 1:14 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Well at least Cas won't end up glowing in the dark then!

Any other ideas folks on the cause for repeat meds?
Had 'radioactive' dye injected into me a few years ago - was told not to go into Laser Quest for a while after, or I would glow ! How is that!!
Old Dec 7th 2004, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

After a lot of running around in a panic, I have had my repeat tests done, and am currently waiting for a courier to collect my CxR and results to whizz them off to Sydney.

There still isn't anything wrong with them - maybe they were being pedantic.

Have to say that the Stoke on Trent Panel doctor and X-Ray dept have been fabulous, not only regarding the pulling out of fingers to get the tests and results through so quickly - but I haven't been charged for them either!

Maybe I will make that 10th of Jan flight after all !!!

Thanks everyone for your support and kind words.

Cas xx
Old Dec 7th 2004, 2:46 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

After a lot of running around in a panic, I have had my repeat tests done, and am currently waiting for a courier to collect my CxR and results to whizz them off to Sydney.

Have to say that the Stoke on Trent Panel doctor and X-Ray dept have been fabulous, not only regarding the pulling out of fingers to get the tests and results through so quickly - but I haven't been charged for them either!

Cas xx
Fingers crossed!
Old Dec 7th 2004, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Signman Glen is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Repeat medical - help needed !!!!!!!!!!

Cas xx
Hi Cas

Only just seen your post what a BU**ER . why is it that when things are going well for us, that the great bird of life always flyes over and dumps on people.

I am sure that things will be ok and you will go out on the 10th ( you better get out before us so you can get the drinks in, in melbourne ).

We are keeping our fingers crossed for you and keep thinking posative.

Will get in touch with you soon and hope to see you in Melbourne, it looks like we will be flying out about the 17/18 JAN, they have only given us 6 weeks to get out .

All the best

Signman Glen & Sue
Old Dec 7th 2004, 6:52 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Cas xx
Fingers crossed, Caz - am sure it will all be OK in the end.

Take care & keep us all posted!

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Fingers crossed, Caz - am sure it will all be OK in the end.

Take care & keep us all posted!

Cheers,
Anya.

Results now in Cologne - in the (hopefully) safe hands of UPS.

Exciting being able to track parcel online - God, I must get a life!
Cas
Old Dec 8th 2004, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

heading_downunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear about your troubles Cas. Fingers crossed it all works out timeously for you. I'm currently experiencing a similar situation (although i an not a nurse.)

I am migrating as a welfare worker and had submitted my meds and x-rays, and was told by the panel doctor that everything was fine. Then just today I received a letter from the Clearing Centre in Sydney asking me to go for further x-rays. I gave the sealed envelope they'd enclosed to the panel doctor just this afternoon and the doctor told me that the Aussies are paranoid about TB and although my x-rays were fine, even the tiniest little blip on the x-ray can cause the Aus health services to request more info.

This does little to comfort me though as I now have to re-take my ex-rays with the radiologist on Friday.

Has anyone else here other than Cas and myself had this type of frustrating experience with repeat medicals or x-rays?