ADSL Routers

Old Dec 8th 2004, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default ADSL Routers

I have asked this question before but I just want double confirmation.

ADSL connections in OZ (specifically Perth, WA - in case that matters) - are they the small RJ-11 connectors - the same as the ADSL connectors here in the UK. I am considering purchasing a couple of routers (http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600v.html) for several reasons (one of which they have in-built Voice-over-IP, phone sockets). However the routers are not cheap, and therefore I don't want to buy one if they wont work in OZ.

Basically I want to know if a) the sockets are the same size b) Is anyone aware of any other problems which would prevent these routers connecting to ADSL providers in OZ

Cheers in advance

Dave
Old Dec 8th 2004, 4:23 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADSL Routers

Cant answer the specific question but this is right into the low-level technology , its not just RJ11 connectors its presentation of data on the network interface, how they do handshaking, wether the router is approved for use on aus telecoms network ... try to see if this device is homogenated for use in Aus.

Even if they do technically function - you'd be buggered getting help ! first thing techy support would do is ask you where you were ;-)

Have you thought of looking on Ebay.com.au for similar things to gauge price in Aus and wait until you get there? Voice over IP on ADsL is workable but its not great beacuse the network isnt designed to carry it and doesnt have QoS (quality of service) , in corporate voip networks QoS is implemented to make sure that voice traffic gets delivered at appropriate priority compared to data traffic all through the network. Even if you implement QoS on your ADSL connection it wont be supported through the global network which means your voice traffic can be time-sliced all over the place, it will all arrive in sequence but you can get horrendous quality perception because of stuttering/delays etc.

If you're set on VOIP , how about buying a ethernet based voip-adapter solution so you're not reliant on the router being integrated - if you can get ethernet one then ethernet is ethernet all over world .... plug into the back of your UK or Aussie ADSL router on an ethernet port and bingo?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 6:39 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ADSL Routers

Originally Posted by darkless
I have asked this question before but I just want double confirmation.

ADSL connections in OZ (specifically Perth, WA - in case that matters) - are they the small RJ-11 connectors - the same as the ADSL connectors here in the UK. I am considering purchasing a couple of routers (http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600v.html) for several reasons (one of which they have in-built Voice-over-IP, phone sockets). However the routers are not cheap, and therefore I don't want to buy one if they wont work in OZ.

Basically I want to know if a) the sockets are the same size b) Is anyone aware of any other problems which would prevent these routers connecting to ADSL providers in OZ

Cheers in advance

Dave
It will work here. The phone line adapter at the wall maybe different but that just means buying a new lead when you get here.

You will to to change a couple of settings but it is not rocket science.