Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Refrigeration and Air-con licence

Refrigeration and Air-con licence

Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refrigeration and Air-con licence

advic;

bring your recovery pump & vac pump with you thats a large saving.
on site here everything is 230V all electrical appliances & electrical tools must run via safety switches RCD so the disconnection time is within 30ms.

from memory 2 years ago now when i did mine the cost was about $500.00 dollars but when the Tafe (College) people resume work after Xmas i can call them for you then email you.

you shall find it hard to get any work with No license problem being the company you would be working for would be responsible for your work & any stuff ups would result in massive fines from the commission that's why the insurance for self employed here is large.

most compays would say its now worth taking people on until they have all licenses.

art
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

advic is an unknown quantity at this point

Arthur

that would be great, cheers for the help

does your company need any new engineers around July 2010? LOL....

is there alot of the 'one man bands' out there as a subby basis?

dont want to be out of work for months really, as good as it sounds... need to get our new life back to norm asap to be honest....

ad
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

advic;

as i ay until you get registered & get the licenses you may find it hard work getting employed, however there is stacks of work installing split system in domestic its like that every summer. then if you have the full licenses you do service on systems in winter time.

if i was you i would be trying to get on the books with a company to start with then build your contacts from there.

Art
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Arthur

Again thanks for your help.

There does not seem to be a lot of people on here to get advice from in relation to ac they must all be out there earning the dollars lol!

Out of curiosity what sort of income do the engineers earn and what sort of hours a week do they work and if self employed is the income a big difference?

Cheers

Ad
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

advic;

There are lots of people on this site that can offer assistance i suppose with it being the main holiday time in Australia people may be away on holiday.

If you have all licenses for Air-Con evaporate & water cooling + what else may be required then you can expect to earn about $70,000 dollars plus working for a mob.

the working week is normally 38 to 40 hours per week i know some smaller company's start work & actually finish the same day for smaller jobs some have to return the day after if its say a full house that requires ducted Air Con that's where the money is for the company.

the main problem with being self employed is you must get the customers in the 1st place there is lots of work but imagine nobody knowing of you & what services you can provide the only option for you would be to advertise in the local newspapers & that's expensive to be honest.
If your self employed 1st register with the plumbing commission either way you must do that, this can be done i think from the UK you send copies of your qualifications in with your application + the application fee.
2nd you get to the Tafe on a course pert time or a 5 day full time course.
once you pass you then apply for the license full of limited depends on your experience.
3rd if your going to be a sole trader (work for your self) you must get insurance to a min of $10,000,000 (Ten Million) its that expensive due to wankers in the trade stuffing up.

so you can see the pattern either way it cost money. but the hardest part i think is getting a foot in the door with a company.

Arthur
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

cheers Arthur

when you say working for a mob.....what do you mean?

is this a typo (clerical error)????

my aim is to be self employed

if i wasnt coming to oz then i would of done it in the UK

new start and all that....live the dream....?

nice life for the family... sweating my nads off in a ceiling space for min 40 hrs/wk for me !!!

are the oz standars a little lower on fitting splits, do they have VRV,VRF's out there or are they only in larger office blocks

what do you work on?

ad
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

martin102 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by advic
Hi Arthur

can i bring a reclaim rig from the uk?
$2000 seems alot...?

240v or 110v do they use 110v on sites like here?

is it best to bring a vac pump too?

any idea on cost for these courses, can i still do this whilst working or will i find it hard to get a job without?

just few questions eh..?

cheers for the help

ad
If you work for a company here you won,t need to havea recovery unit or vac pump, They should supply them for you. If you are going to work for yourself then you will need them, But you will have to provide a bill of sale complete with serial numbers to arctic to register them.
I,m doing a restricted electrical course at the moment $38 to apply for licence $235 to enrol at tafe $591 to have an assessment 4 hrs, then 4 hr online exam, Then another 8 hrs at tafe to complete onsite assessment.
Once all that is done and passed then i can apply to the office of energy and safety for my restricted licence another $320. In total $1184 and that doesn,t account for the $300 to the Tra to see if i was qualified enough to apply for my fridgey ticket which was another $150 for 2 years.

Just bring your cheque book along you will be fine..

martin
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:53 am
Just Joined

Xena is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a mine field! We arrived in Brisbane in November and submitted hubbies ARTC application in December and are still waiting to hear. Done some phoning around and pushed from pillar to post but apparently if and when ARTC is granted you then apply for a temporary electrical licence and the Queensland Govt will then inform you what courses you need to go on. In addition to this you have to have a first aid/resus certificate, blue/white card (health and safety) - it is hugely regulated over here and getting information is hard going and the websites are confusing!

Heres hoping for good results all round

Xena
Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:30 am
Just Joined

teamrobbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Air con refrigeration, hvac, cooling engineer mechanic. Looking for work!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all! I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone could offer me any help!? I moved to Melbourne from Leeds with my wife in Jan 2010

I'm 32 years old and currently studying Cert III Engineering Air Con & Refrigeration at Holmesglen institute in Melbourne.

I am at the stage of a 2nd Year apprentice and seeking long term paid work with a company in this industry.

I have a history of experience in Technical Sales aswell and have a good commercial knowledge.

I am keen, hard working and trustworthy and would welcome any advice or job opportunities that come my way.

Any Advice????????????????

many Thanks

FRANK ROBINSON 0410651751