Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying pet medication from UK - is it allowed into OZ

Buying pet medication from UK - is it allowed into OZ

Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying pet medication from UK - is it allowed into OZ

Hi, just been to get some flea treatment stuff and was a bit shocked at the price, in the UK it costs about a fifth of the price. Would such a product be allowed thru customs ok?

Any idea?

Cheers
Jazzys
Old Jul 6th 2010, 8:50 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying pet medication from UK - is it allowed into OZ

Originally Posted by jazzys
Hi, just been to get some flea treatment stuff and was a bit shocked at the price, in the UK it costs about a fifth of the price. Would such a product be allowed thru customs ok?

Any idea?

Cheers
Jazzys
Not sure...I still get my vitamins from England (because I can get them at cost and no VAT). Customs can if they want apply GST but after 4 years they still haven't.

I had a query once and emailed the question straight to Oz Customs. The reply was very polite and they even thanked me for bothering to ask.

[email protected]
Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:16 am
ABCDiamond

Any idea?

Cheers
Jazzys
What is the product ? I deal with a Brisbane based company whose prices may be very good, it would be worth checking.

Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:12 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea?

Cheers
Jazzys

Have you tried www.vetshopaustralia.com.au found them much cheaper than shops and excellent delivery service.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What is the product ? I deal with a Brisbane based company whose prices may be very good, it would be worth checking.
I had gone to the local vets and they offered me a product called advantix, it wasn't the exact product / brand i compared it with from the UK, but it did the same job.

$55 from the vet here and the equivalent of $8.60 from the UK + postage of course but still a big saving.

Jazzys
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

ahh but did it - have you tried the excel pet range from supermarkets then. you have to compare it with the same product available vet only in the uk

although perhaps to achieve what you want you can use another product

What are you trying to do - de-flea your pet or protect from ticks
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Prescription...FQQupAodBVG-xA

this is cheaper than the vets in the uk and its more like 20 pound

The thing is some medications are much cheaper in the uk for sure but also in this climate some people choose to use products like flea treatments to help prevent paralysis ticks (not foolproof mind). Most cheaper products available in the uk will not do this.

I may sound moody and like I really have heart in this converstaion but I am just rushing.......
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:35 pm
ABCDiamond

I had gone to the local vets and they offered me a product called advantix, it wasn't the exact product / brand i compared it with from the UK, but it did the same job.

$55 from the vet here and the equivalent of $8.60 from the UK + postage of course but still a big saving.

Jazzys
UK prices

Advantix 40 dogs up to 4kg x4 £13.83 **
Advantix 100 dogs 4kg - 10kg x4 £14.46
Advantix 250 dogs 10kg - 25kg x4 £15.31
Advantix 400 Dog 25kg and over x4 £15.53

Australian prices

$57.95 Advantix for Dogs up to 4kg 6 PK

Aus = $9.65 per dose
UK = $6.22 per dose (at 1.8 FX)

Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

so its not cheaper by the time you pay postage. my concern would be though price may be indicative of efficiecy - or maybe not. I personally would chat to a vet about it although lots of people, including myself, know a significant amount about it a forum perhaps doesnt give you the whole picture and an Australian vet may just have something to input.

I sell advantix (rarely) but you woudl have to ask Emelems how much for and how it would be ordered online as it is only available through a back door of my site

There is a BE discount code
Old Jul 6th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

It just appears to me that there are other products with the same active ingredients to advantix that are far cheaper in the UK.

Yes we are trying to keep our puppy flea and tick free, any recommendations greatfully recieved

Jazzys
Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:21 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

It just appears to me that there are other products with the same active ingredients to advantix that are far cheaper in the UK.

Yes we are trying to keep our puppy flea and tick free, any recommendations greatfully recieved

Jazzys
We use Advocate for our Staffy, never seen a flea or tick on him!! We buy from www.vetshopaustralia.com.au much cheaper than shops and vets.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Any idea?

Cheers
Jazzys
I use petproductsontheweb.com.au and use Revolution.

Prices include postage and seem to be very reasonable.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

SEE!!! told you that little rat had fleas!!