Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Refrigeration and Air-con licence

Refrigeration and Air-con licence

Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

bignick has a spectacular aura aboutbignick has a spectacular aura aboutbignick has a spectacular aura about
Default Refrigeration and Air-con licence

Hi there

I've had my 175 for Refrigeration and Air-con for a couple of years now. We are still in the UK (put off moving by the usual batch of problems that are around at the moment). I am now looking to move and are wondering what licences I will be required to obtain in Oz should I decide to go into the HVAC sector.
At the moment I have the City & Guilds 2078 as my 'licence' to operate (though in reality it isn't a licence). Changes caused by the new F-Gas regulations in the UK means that in the next year or so, all HVAC techies will need one of the CITB or C&G2079 qualification in order to operate.

If I spend the money to upgrade the qualification will it have any value on Oz?

What's the industry like over there? Whilst I'm sure the jobs are there, I'd like to know what the money is like for Service Technician/Manager for medium size ACU/Chillers etc.

Finally, I have a fair amount of experience in Facilities Management (and the British Institute of Facilities Management (BIFM) Level 1 Qualification). Would this be a better bet over in Oz?

I am drawn to moving to Melbourne or Sydney at this moment in time.

TIA

Nick
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

advic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Refrigeration and Air-con licence

hi Nick

im an AC/fridge engineer

i am going to melly in our summer of 2010

good question

i dont get to speak to my fridge blokes on here, not sure if thats good or bad..?

i would also like to here any questions

ad
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:21 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Contact Iceman on here, he's very knowledgeable about all the in's and outs of whats required for your line of work.

Be warned, it's not as straight forward as you'd think.

Edit: if you get no response from sending PM through this forum, I may be able to get contact details for you.

Last edited by dave7370; Dec 22nd 2009 at 9:25 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Ronnie9898 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im a plumber in melbourne, been here 5 weeks, on my third job already and I am still sorting my licences, registration, one of the jobs i turned down was with a air con and heating company, the only reason I turned it down was I landed a good job closer to home, I dont have much air con experiance only split systems but they still gave me the job aslong as I went to tec and got my ticket with there support, you will get work while things are getting sorted here but most of it is as a subby, thats how they do it here
Ronnie
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:34 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by bignick
Hi there

I've had my 175 for Refrigeration and Air-con for a couple of years now. We are still in the UK (put off moving by the usual batch of problems that are around at the moment). I am now looking to move and are wondering what licences I will be required to obtain in Oz should I decide to go into the HVAC sector.
At the moment I have the City & Guilds 2078 as my 'licence' to operate (though in reality it isn't a licence). Changes caused by the new F-Gas regulations in the UK means that in the next year or so, all HVAC techies will need one of the CITB or C&G2079 qualification in order to operate.

What's the industry like over there? Whilst I'm sure the jobs are there, I'd like to know what the money is like for Service Technician/Manager for medium size ACU/Chillers etc.

Finally, I have a fair amount of experience in Facilities Management (and the British Institute of Facilities Management (BIFM) Level 1 Qualification). Would this be a better bet over in Oz?

TIA

Nick
My OH is Refrigeration and Air-con Technician. He also has a city and guilds. When we emigrated to Perth he had to go back to college to get all the required licences. He couldn't work without these. It isn't free either, all licences are courses are chargeable, some licences need re-newing every 3 years. All in all it was a pain in the ass, but it's what is needed to get started.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

martin102 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bignick
Hi there

TIA

Nick
Hey Nick

You will need an arctik licence first then a restricted electrical licence, But to get both of these you will need to pass the Tra test or vetasess. I have worked in the trade for 3 years without the licences but they are getting stricter now.

Martin
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

martin102 is an unknown quantity at this point

P.s if you go into management you won,t need any of these.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

hi all

i have passed my vetassess exam back in july 08

im in the office now, job on the tools full time in that heat will almost kill me

cant wait .....honest LOL

im going to melbourne..what are the job positions and money like?

i have alot of split, VRV & VRF design and service experience

any offers...?

ad
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:40 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

To those fretting about the in's and out's of what required, as I've already posted, contact Iceman on here as he's very very knowledgeable about everything to do with what required and how to go about it, along with wages you can expect.

For the sake of sending him a PM what do you have to lose?
Old Dec 30th 2009, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

bignick;

regardless of any qualification from the UK you shall have to apply to the plumbing commission in Melbourne (if your living here) for registration 1st, then you must do a short course at Tafe (College) usually a 5 day course of a 1 night x 12 week course for the basic Air Con license if you have not done an apprenticeship then you can only get a license to install Air Con to 18KW and with that license your NOT allowed to do maintenance work just installs.

if your apprenticeship trained with qualifications you again apply to plumbing commission for registration then do the course for the full license this includes all installations of Air con units & evaporate cooling + all service work.

there is an annual fee for the plumbing reg, there is also an annual fee for the license there is also insurance per year, if your using refrigerant then you need a license for that & the cost for gas.

its all money before you start.

Arthur in melbourne
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Hi Arthur

yes i did my apprenticeship in the trade

got 2078 (qualification R&AC) & 2079 (refrigerant handling) both city & guilds,

can i not work at all without any of these licences?

how much do they cost?

cheers
ad
Old Dec 31st 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

advic;

in victoria like all states you 1st must be registered with the plumbing commission, 2nd get to a Tafe (College) & do there short course if your living in melbourne i can help there i can supply details of a course you can do in 5 days or 1 night per week for 12 weeks.
3rd after course you register for your full license then 4th you get insurance if your working for your self.

if your going to be changing refrigerant then you must have a recovery pump costing nearly $2,000 dollars

art
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Hi Arthur

can i bring a reclaim rig from the uk?
$2000 seems alot...?

240v or 110v do they use 110v on sites like here?

is it best to bring a vac pump too?

any idea on cost for these courses, can i still do this whilst working or will i find it hard to get a job without?

just few questions eh..?

cheers for the help

ad
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Hi Arthur
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

hi Arthur

sorry....

please can you send me some info on exactly what course i need to do?

you can PM if required

cheers

ad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.