Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reclaim tax on 186 visa

Reclaim tax on 186 visa

Old Dec 2nd 2014, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reclaim tax on 186 visa

Originally Posted by Juanito69
Hi there,

Actually, you shoot him down, come on ;-)

Sorry to reply to this old post, but after reading it, I felt the need to respond !

I agree with you, why Au tax payers would pay for one who wants to migrate to Australia ?
But you may agree that Australia is looking for skilled people. This is a need. So, why Au tax payers would not pay for hiring skilled people that will create and make Australia a more competitive place ?

That said. I actually claimed my VISA cost. Three times, so the question may have a little bit of sense. It was temporary VISAs so it may not be the same procedure for a permanent one. But I got back full tax on each claim (around 35% of each VISA cost then). It was claimed as relocation expanse even if the two renew were made in the country -I mean without real relocation cost-.

Cheers
@J
The cost of your visa is not tax deductable.

Australia has a self assessment tax system, it means you are supposed to be honest when you claim expenses and many tax returns will never be checked. Do not take "getting away with it" to mean that it was tax deductible.

If your tax return is checked in the future and they find dubious expenses they will probably go back and check previous years and you will need to repay the tax and probably fines as well.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Juanito69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I guess it is completely legal as it was approved by my HR team... They filled the form and sent it to smart salary.

And you may have read my post a bit too fast. Please note that the cost of the VISA was claimed through relocation expanse form -not tax return, which might be different than the way you think-. And approved by HR.
I guess they know what they are doing.

cheers
@J

Last edited by Juanito69; Dec 2nd 2014 at 9:28 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 10:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I guess it is completely legal as it was approved by my HR team... They filled the form and sent it to smart salary.

And you may have read my post a bit too fast. Please note that the cost of the VISA was claimed through relocation expanse form -not tax return, which might be different than the way you think-. And approved by HR.
I guess they know what they are doing.

cheers
@J
Just FYI, a visa is a travel document and what you applied for to live in Australia. VISA is a registered trademark and is not a travel document - it is a credit lending corporation.

You also didn't say you claimed through a relocation expense form. You said you got back taxes after claiming it as an expense. Not quite the same thing as salary sacrificing, now is it?
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

I am no sure I understand your reply. Sorry.
in regards to visa or VISA, sorry I will use visa then, but you probably understand me very well.

So I said from the beginning that I claimed them as relocation expenses. I did not talk about a form, yes right. But as there is no relocation expense part in the tax return -from my knowledge- it was clear to me. Sorry to not have been. I am just trying to add some real experience here.
And yes it was considered as salary sacrifice if you ask my HR.

Also I ma new on this forum, so I hope I am not breaking any rule or whatever think that can be annoying to normal users. When I came through this topic, I was thinking that I had to write down my experience.
Also, it is exactly the same for all of my colleagues here.

Best regards
@J

Last edited by Juanito69; Dec 2nd 2014 at 10:53 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am no sure I understand your reply. Sorry.
in regards to visa or VISA, sorry I will use visa then, but you probably understand me very well.

So I said from the beginning that I claimed them as relocation expenses. I did not talk about a form, yes right. But as there is no relocation expense part in the tax return -from my knowledge- it was clear to me. Sorry to not have been. I am just trying to add some real experience here.
And yes it was considered as salary sacrifice if you ask my HR.

Also I ma new on this forum, so I hope I am not breaking any rule or whatever think that can be annoying to normal users. When I came through this topic, I was thinking that I had to write down my experience.
Also, it is exactly the same for all of my colleagues here.

Best regards
@J
There is no relocation part of a tax form, because it is not tax deductible.

You have fraudulently claimed expenses and because your return was not selected for review, you got away with it.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Come on. Do you even read my post. I might be unclear... So sorry if it is the case.

Could you, please, re-read and see that my HR claimed the expense. They are trained and skilled people.
Re-read as well to see that I specified that it was not through my tax return.

I was thinking to help here.

ANyway
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Come on. Do you even read my post. I might be unclear... So sorry if it is the case.

Could you, please, re-read and see that my HR claimed the expense. They are trained and skilled people.
Re-read as well to see that I specified that it was not through my tax return.

I was thinking to help here.

ANyway
I read your post. You said that you claimed your visa costs three times and got money back. I am telling you that this was tax fraud.

Your company is perfectly entitled to claim back recruitment costs and any costs they incur associated with that, but you wouldn't even know about that.

And if you mean your company made you pay for the visa costs, but then declared it as their expense on their tax return thereby getting money back, then they committed tax fraud as they did not incur this cost.

Either way, what you are saying is fraud and I don't care how skilled your HR team is.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

I think I was quite clear, and I think you did not read well -sorry-

So yes you can salary sacrifice your visa cost. Damned it, we are hundred to do that here. We work for the government and university... So HR may know very well their job. If not I would be very happy to send them to you.

I am feeling really offended, so I guess I am better to stop writing now.
Regards

Edit- sorry if I offended you
Edit2- It is not through tax return !!!

Last edited by Juanito69; Dec 2nd 2014 at 11:23 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think I was quite clear.

So yes you can salary sacrifice your visa cost. Damned it, we are hundred to do that here. We work for the government and university... So HR may know very well their job. If not I would be very happy to send them to you.

Regards

You are not being remotely clear. This is the first time you have mentioned salary sacrifice. And just because in some situations, some people can salary sacrifice some costs, it does not mean that anybody can put similar costs on their tax return.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:25 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I think I was quite clear.

Regards

Edit2- It is not through tax return !!!
Then why are you on a thread about reclaiming tax on a visa?

The administrators of your salary sacrifice don't work for the government or the university. They work for the for profit financial advisors who run the salary sacrifice company. For example, I sacrifice through Smart Salary. I work for WA Health Dep't but they don't administer the fund - Smart Salary does.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Come on. Why I responded ? You know that. I have the feeling you just want to have the last word. I dont mind anyway.

I just said I got tax back on my visa cost "point". Not through tax return but through salary sacrifice via an application made in accordance with Human ressoruces.

I guess the initial poster doesnt care about how to claim. He just want to know if he can save a bit of money. He may actually so why, yes WHY, you want me to not respond to this post.... Come on.

Also, if you consider your reaction and others. You have to agree that it is an open discussion. But I think I am the first to put some real experience right here. Now you want to play with the word. Fine, I take the door and I apology for my mistake. Please accept them and dont burn me.

Best regards
@J

Last edited by Juanito69; Dec 2nd 2014 at 11:43 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

to Bermudashorts,

nope it was not the first time. So you really dont read my writings ;-)))
Read second post of 9h49 and post of Dorothy just before.

Anyway, thanks for discussing. And sorry. I am sure I am not clear all the way.

Have a nice day with or without tax ;-).
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

Unless I missed it no one asked if you are a UK resident and moved from the UK to Australia?

As each country is different, I can claim a lot back through my Canadian Tax not specifically the visa but flights, sale of house, etc. I can even claim back Canadian tax when moving between two locations outside of Canada.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 2:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think I was quite clear, and I think you did not read well -sorry-

Unfortunately the vast majority of us can't salary sacrifice it In fact many people don't even have access to salary sacrificing.
If you could and did, you are in a very lucky minority
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

The OPs original question seemed a pretty reasonable one to me. There seem to be a gajillion things that can be deducted on your tax return in Australia as an employee, compared to virtually none in the UK. If you don't know ask. If you don't know on BE you better hope its a good question before you dare ask.