Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reclaim tax on 186 visa

Reclaim tax on 186 visa

Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

riccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Reclaim tax on 186 visa

Hi,

Is it possible to claim visa costs at tax return time ?

As a family of 5 it is a considerable cost. Can anyone shed some light on this please ?

Thanks in advance

Ric
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reclaim tax on 186 visa

Originally Posted by riccardo1888
Hi,

Is it possible to claim visa costs at tax return time ?

As a family of 5 it is a considerable cost. Can anyone shed some light on this please ?

Thanks in advance

Ric
You want to reclaim the cost of the visa to get to Aus?

Nope.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 11:13 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Why should Oz tax payers give you a refund for wanting to move to Australia? Not a chance.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

riccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm actually in Australia and have been for a number of years, paying very high tax however I'm never asked if they would pay the visa, only if it was tax deductible.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 11:51 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its not. No offence meant personally, but why should it be?
Old Apr 6th 2014, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

I don't think it should be. If it was tax decuctable though I would claim it. I think Teza Mis understood me though. I am paying for the full visa myself and glad to do so but if it can't be tax deductible then that's cool. No harm in looking into these things. Thanks Pollyana � ����
Old Apr 6th 2014, 12:52 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't misunderstand, I was stating the fact that you paid to be processed to get a visa to a country you want to live in, onshore or offshore application is regardless. Why should there be a taxpayer funded break for that? Regardless of your own situation that would mean refunds to nearly 100 000 people a year....
Old Apr 6th 2014, 12:57 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by teza
I didn't misunderstand, I was stating the fact that you paid to be processed to get a visa to a country you want to live in, onshore or offshore application is regardless. Why should there be a taxpayer funded break for that? Regardless of your own situation that would mean refunds to nearly 100 000 people a year....
Thats the way I see it too....... why should the Aussie taxpayer subsidise people applying for visas to come here? I wouldn't dare broach the subject at work, I'd get shot down in flames!!!
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Except that as far as I know, if an employer pays visa costs then that may be tax deductible to the employer for corporate tax purposes. Would employer then have to pay Fringe Benefits Tax, or treat it as imputed income to the employee? Good questions for a tax accountant.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Again guys I agree that it shouldn't be tax deductable but my question isn't should it be, it was simply is it tax deductable.

If the answer is no then fine, I'm looking for a factual answer not a moral discussion.

I thought that's what the forum was for, to be given info and without sounding arrogant, I have not asked if you think this should be the case.

The above poster says it would be an interesting question for an accountant to which I agree.

I use BE forums when I am in need of info not to be shot down by users who think I am asking for a personal opinion on a subject that I didn't ask about. If you did not know the answer then don't answer my question.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Again guys I agree that it shouldn't be tax deductable but my question isn't should it be, it was simply is it tax deductable.

If the answer is no then fine, I'm looking for a factual answer not a moral discussion.

I thought that's what the forum was for, to be given info and without sounding arrogant, I have not asked if you think this should be the case.

The above poster says it would be an interesting question for an accountant to which I agree.

I use BE forums when I am in need of info not to be shot down by users who think I am asking for a personal opinion on a subject that I didn't ask about. If you did not know the answer then don't answer my question.
The answer to your question is no. Definitely no.

A company paying the fees in behalf of an applicant would charge visa fees simply as a necessary business expense in finding a suitable employee, it would be like charging a recruitment agent fee or advertising fee.

As I read it JAJ is actually contemplating whether an employee who has their visa fees paid by the company should incur more tax (FBT). He is not suggesting that your question is a good one to put to an accountant. It isn't.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for that Bermuda shorts, I appreciate that.

No big tax return for me then haha.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 11:12 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

And since this is an open forum you don't get to decide who answers your questions. If you wanted personal advice without question you should have seen a tax agent or accountant and not posted in an online forum.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 12:01 am
Home and Happy

No-one is 'shooting you down' we are simply discussing the question - try a 'should I abandon my debts' thread if you want to see shootings!
Discussion is what the forum is for. The FBT angle is an interesting one, I must admit, hadn't thought of it from that side - and that is why discussion is useful. You just have to be prepared to take the rough with the smooth.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Juanito69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Actually, you shoot him down, come on ;-)

Sorry to reply to this old post, but after reading it, I felt the need to respond !

I agree with you, why Au tax payers would pay for one who wants to migrate to Australia ?
But you may agree that Australia is looking for skilled people. This is a need. So, why Au tax payers would not pay for hiring skilled people that will create and make Australia a more competitive place ?

That said. I actually claimed my VISA cost. Three times, so the question may have a little bit of sense. It was temporary VISAs so it may not be the same procedure for a permanent one. But I got back full tax on each claim (around 35% of each VISA cost then). It was claimed as relocation expanse even if the two renew were made in the country -I mean without real relocation cost-.

Cheers
@J

Last edited by Juanito69; Dec 2nd 2014 at 8:50 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.