Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recent shipping experiences and quotes - please pretty please

Wikiposts

Recent shipping experiences and quotes - please pretty please

Old Nov 4th 2005, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Recent shipping experiences and quotes - please pretty please

we managed to fit a large 4 bed 3 reception house into a 20 footer - lots of companies wanted to charge us for 40 footer - but we had room to spare in the 20 footer - just depends how good they are at packing
we used brittania who were good - no major damage couple of photo frames got broken (the stand at the back) & the kids toys all chucked in boxes so quite a bit of sorting out as all the bits were floating around various parts of the box - jigsaw puzzles slotted down the side of the box etc (iyswim)
it took 1 month port to port - think it was southampton to perth but not 100% sure it took 10 days to get through customs
they packed up in 2 days - the guys delivered it 8am & by 10 they were gone
they unwrapped all the boxes / furniture & unpacked all the boxes that we wanted to unpack ( they will only unpack onto something like a benchtop though - not into the cupboards/drawers) we borrowed trestle tables for them to unpack onto & then we put away as they unpacked - cant remember how much but they were the cheapest of the 3 we got - allied pickfords was one of the others cant remember the 3rd

hth

pootle26
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice

what ever you do - dont use anglo pacific.

They wreaked our furniture - table legs completely snapped off, every bit had some damage (I'm not being picky - they were all clearly very visibly damaged).

Won't pay out all the insurance - despite months of arguing. Didnt return calls - wrote to the the MD who didnt even bother to reply....

Take my advice - dont touch them
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lissysarah

They wreaked our furniture - table legs completely snapped off, every bit had some damage (I'm not being picky - they were all clearly very visibly damaged).

Won't pay out all the insurance - despite months of arguing. Didnt return calls - wrote to the the MD who didnt even bother to reply....

Oh dear, another bad word that's why we didn't get them in for a quote think we are going to go with John Mason, they seam to have a good reputation on hear, unlike ***** ******** as everyone calls them.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 11:36 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

No, we had already heard bad things about them!! Just a pity that no-one had warned you first Hope you manage to get some kind of recompense. At least this website is doing a good job of steering people clear of them.

Thanks for the advice though.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 5:48 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Does anyone have the telephone number for Crown? There seem to be so many departments and different numbers, not sure which one to try!!

Thanks.

Jo
Old Nov 6th 2005, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by Joanne
Does anyone have the telephone number for Crown? There seem to be so many departments and different numbers, not sure which one to try!!

Thanks.

Jo
Try

http://www.crownrelo.com/web/relo.nsf/map.europe.htm

And pick the office closest to you.

SS

Last edited by SuperSeagulls; Nov 6th 2005 at 7:40 am.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 6:00 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Try

http://www.crownrelo.com/web/relo.nsf/map.europe.htm

And pick the office closet to you.

SS
thanks for that, will give them a call in the morning.

Jo
Old Nov 6th 2005, 6:05 am
Now in Mandurah

Pauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the rough

We have just used Brittaiania they were brilliant.. No complaints whatsoever they packed up a 5 bedroomed house in a 10ft containers... With lots of room left..
Have also just had an email from friends who live two doors away and they had all their stuff arive 3wks ago and the only thing that they said was broke on arrival was a very old glass tumbler so not too bad aye..

We are sitting here in a very empty house are now sitting on inflatable sofas, are going to sign the contracts tommorrow so hopefully have a date tomove out and on.......About time..

I would recommend then my mother used them as well 18mths ago..
Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

jackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nice
Talking Re: Recent shipping experiences and quotes - please pretty please

Originally Posted by Pauline
We have just used Brittaiania they were brilliant.. No complaints whatsoever they packed up a 5 bedroomed house in a 10ft containers... With lots of room left..
Have also just had an email from friends who live two doors away and they had all their stuff arive 3wks ago and the only thing that they said was broke on arrival was a very old glass tumbler so not too bad aye..

We are sitting here in a very empty house are now sitting on inflatable sofas, are going to sign the contracts tommorrow so hopefully have a date tomove out and on.......About time..

I would recommend then my mother used them as well 18mths ago..
Hi Pauline,my sister has been in Australie 24 years now and Mandurah about 5 she loves it there...
so how much(£) is a ten foot container,that will be what we need.. i think four bikes,lots of toy's(4*kids)and lot's and lot's of books..and two small leather couches...Jackie..

Last edited by jackie/steve; Nov 6th 2005 at 7:27 am. Reason: missed a bit out
Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

I thought you could only get 20fter's other than that you could go for groupage???
Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

thanks for that, will give them a call in the morning.

Jo
No worries

SS
Old Nov 6th 2005, 10:18 am
Just Joined

devils advocate is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a guy who's been moved around by my employers. Did 7 moves in 10 years. Most have been Europe to Asia and return. On the last outwards move Crown were very good. Can't remember any problems with them. It was a 40 foot container. However the last move back was a disaster with Pickfords. Apart from the packing, where they didn't use wardrobe containers for our clothers, and following 2 months crushed in boxes my suits cost me a fortune to have pressed to get the crease out, the big problem was with the attitude and competence of their staff.

Having agreed a date with them to deliver the 40 ft containers worth to my empty house, when they had'nt arrived at about 10.30 am I gave the contact a call. He then admitted that he had forgotten to book in the delivery for that day and that all my possessions would have to stay in their stores for the next 5 days until they had a spare crew to deliver. Having got 3 pre teen children who had all sorts of things backed up for their new school you can imagine how I felt with this, but fortunately Pickfords paid for an extension of our temporary accomodation. (Good job it was still available!)

What did p*ss me off was the attitude of the Pickfords staff. The contract was to rebuild things that had been dismantled (such as Beds) and they were the worst in putting everything back together, and needing me to check and put in the screws that they'd missed, etc. Truly a case that 'Nothing was too much trouble'!

Out of all the companies who moved us I would recommend them all apart from Pickfords.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 1:02 am
Mount Eliza

Had Bishops Move into today and so far they have been the most helpful and informative. The chap from Brittannia seemed to be in a hurry and was here only about half an hour!! Hope his quote is accurate!! Still waiting on the quotes, so will post them on here as and when they arrive. Crown are calling me back when they can come, and I did try Nightingales in Weston Super Mare and shes giving me a quote over the phone (not really what I wanted, so may request a visit when she calls back).

Hope this helps.

Jo
Old Nov 7th 2005, 1:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'll echo this!

Think Anglo Pacific - think ten foot barge pole :scared:

Mine was one of their better stories, there are some real horrors on here if you go back a bit.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 6:30 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Had Bishops Move into today and so far they have been the most helpful and informative. The chap from Brittannia seemed to be in a hurry and was here only about half an hour!! Hope his quote is accurate!! Still waiting on the quotes, so will post them on here as and when they arrive. Crown are calling me back when they can come, and I did try Nightingales in Weston Super Mare and shes giving me a quote over the phone (not really what I wanted, so may request a visit when she calls back).

Hope this helps.

Jo
I was expecting Bishops Move tomorrow, they phoned today and said that the woman would be in a meeting tomorrow so could they come the same time next week? I explained that I was off work all this week and would be back at work next week, so I could not do the same time. They just said "oh well, we'll have to cancel then." Fine, if that's the attitude then I don't want them having my hard earned money!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.