Reload this Page >

Recent shipping experiences and quotes - please pretty please

Wikiposts

Recent shipping experiences and quotes - please pretty please

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

rich4efc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Recent shipping experiences and quotes - please pretty please

We just received our shipping yesterday.

We used John Mason & they were very good, we filled a 20' container (they had to shoe-horn the last couple of items in!) & it cost us GBP 3,600 as opposed to Allied Pickfords who quoted us GBP 4,500. We had to pay $374 at this end for handling by the agents here (Kent) who were also very good. We also had to pay $15 duty on some new bikes we brought & $71 because we'd inadvertently left some pine cones on some Christmas deccies

The ship sailed on August 25th from Liverpool & arrived in Sydney on October 17th, it was cleared by Customs on October 26th & arrived at our house on November 2nd.

It was like Christmas yesterday when our stuff arrived, we've been sleeping on airbeds & sitting on deck chairs fro the last few weeks so it was heaven last night to sit on a comfy sofa & sleep in a king size bed

Rich
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Kevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really nice

We had quotes done in June by Excess Baggage and John Masons in June of this year.

In October I contacted them again to requote and they both said that the quotes were the same. After a lot of thought we went with Excess and after they filled the lorry the total space used was less than the original quote and our bill was for less.

If you have had quotes done already, just contact them and see if there is any change in the quotes - rather than starting at the beginning again. Both Excess and JM were extremely helpful.

Our stuff is now in storage in the UK waiting for our instruction to ship. We are waiting until the house sale completes.

Hazel
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

I've got Excess and Crown coming out in a couple of weeks so I'll let you know what they say.....

SS
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

we have johnsons, britannia and atlantis coming round next week, have tried others but they either wont come round at times we can do or wont come round as they dont think we have enough stuff, which really frustrates me as I dont know how much stuff I will have until someone comes round and advises me how much stuff fits into the boxes, whats worth taking etc.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by lawlaw
we have johnsons, britannia and atlantis coming round next week, have tried others but they either wont come round at times we can do or wont come round as they dont think we have enough stuff, which really frustrates me as I dont know how much stuff I will have until someone comes round and advises me how much stuff fits into the boxes, whats worth taking etc.
You could always tell them you have a house load of stuff and when they come out say you have changed your mind. Or use the estimates Johnsons etc give you, and send that off to the likes of Crown and Excess for a quote.

SS
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
You could always tell them you have a house load of stuff and when they come out say you have changed your mind. Or use the estimates Johnsons etc give you, and send that off to the likes of Crown and Excess for a quote.

SS
Thanks, I think I will do that with the estimates, not that they deserve the business but hey ho. money in the pocket and all that.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:32 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We had a few quotes back in May. When we finally came to arrange it for real we went with John Mason - by far the best customer service to us. PSS didn't come out, just asked what John Mason had quoted for and gave us a quote for the same size container (quote was 1,000 more )

Between receiving a copy of their inventory and the guys arriving, a few things had changed but it was no problem. The two guys turned up on the Tuesday morning and had packed everything by about 4pm. They came back mid morning on the Wednesday to go through the detailed inventory and label everything. The container turned up at 1pm and was packed and gone by 3pm.

Really helpful. Very nice, chatty but continued working throughout. I have sort of tracked the ship and at this moment it is docked just north of Pisa. Should arrive in Brisbane on the 26th November. Would be nice to get it out of customs and AQIS before christmas but can't do anything about it if it doesn't.

We are currently living in a very minimalist house until the 18th and no doubt will be able to do the same there. Can't get worked up about something that is out of my control

Anyway for a 20foot reefer sole use, they charged us just over £3,000. So far so good.
Hiya Penny

So you sold it then? When do you arrive here?
Sorry - been a bit busy to come on here - still dealing with 'skilled' workmen - some of whom have brains.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:08 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Im just getting quotes in now, had Brittannia and Pickfords round so far, waiting for quotes to arrive. Got Bishops Move coming round on Monday. So will keep you all posted as to how much the quotes are. We havent enough stuff to have a container to ourselves, so were going groupage, which will take a bit longer, but not worth paying the extra when we dont need it.

We're not taking a huge amount of stuff, only large items are 3 piece suite, tv, computer desk, the rests is bits and pieces and its these that seem to mount up, especially the kids toys!!! Most of the container will be filled with Bratz dolls I think :scared:

Jo
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Cuddles is on a distinguished road

Hi

We had Crown Relocations. They have been brilliant from start to finish. We had a very full 20ft container and with insurance it was £5,000, that includes Aquis.

The only thing I will say and it may apply to all shippers is that they deliver free and unpack it all for you. But if you want them to leave it to you to unpack then you get charged a pick up fee.

Well with all the stuff we had there was no way we could let them unpack it all as we would have been in a right mess. I do think its a bit of a con and another way of getting money out of you but I suppose its your choice at the end of the day. I personally would rather pay $60 and unpack it at my leasure.

Despite all this though I would still use them again.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave and linda
Hi

We had Crown Relocations. They have been brilliant from start to finish. We had a very full 20ft container and with insurance it was £5,000, that includes Aquis.

The only thing I will say and it may apply to all shippers is that they deliver free and unpack it all for you. But if you want them to leave it to you to unpack then you get charged a pick up fee.

Well with all the stuff we had there was no way we could let them unpack it all as we would have been in a right mess. I do think its a bit of a con and another way of getting money out of you but I suppose its your choice at the end of the day. I personally would rather pay $60 and unpack it at my leasure.

Despite all this though I would still use them again.
To avoid the unpacking fee, perhaps you could pack your things in smaller boxes, then pack them into the packing boxes, that way you could have everything unpacked for you and you can unpack the small boxes at your leisure.

Most people seem to be using 20ft containers, has anyone used a 40 ft container? How much did that cost?
Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

frufrublu is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by helinuk
To avoid the unpacking fee, perhaps you could pack your things in smaller boxes, then pack them into the packing boxes, that way you could have everything unpacked for you and you can unpack the small boxes at your leisure.

Most people seem to be using 20ft containers, has anyone used a 40 ft container? How much did that cost?

hi there

just thought id post this on as ive had loads of quotes which has saved me loads of time its a web site where you give a discription of what you want to ship and then loads of companys email you directly with there quote.
im not taking much to aus with me only clothes cds shoes and handbags
and i got quite alot of responses .
(cant help chuckling at the name)
www.OneEntry.com.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

STUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant future

We have just been getting quotes, we are hoping to go in 3 - 4 weeks time.

PSS came on 25/10/05 they say we have 850 cubic feet, from door to door quote is £3,638.

Allied Pickfords came on 01/11/05 they say we have 1088 cubic feet, from door to door quote is £4,178

Crown came on 02/11/05 they say we have 920 cubic feet, from door to door quote is £4,760

All quotes have insurance to add on top.
We are taking full contents of a three bedroom house + loads of kids toys + 4 bikes
Donna xx
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
I have done loads and loads of reading through old threads so I am not being lazy. I have read quite a few people who say "shippers are coming next week/month so I will let you know how we get on"

So now I am asking - how has everyone got on?

I had a few quotes in July but realise that I obviously did that far too soon and will have to be looking for new quotes. Any help qould be much appreciated
Hello we have gone with allied Pickfords they have been really good so far although they are due to start packing on the 24th of nov so will keep you informed. Well actualy i won't be able to as they will pack the comp!!!!!????.......Danial was the name of the fella really nice bloke and they seemed quite cheap as well. Good luck.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:25 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Recent shipping experiences and quotes - please pretty please

Originally Posted by Joanne
Im just getting quotes in now, had Brittannia and Pickfords round so far, waiting for quotes to arrive. Got Bishops Move coming round on Monday. So will keep you all posted as to how much the quotes are. We havent enough stuff to have a container to ourselves, so were going groupage, which will take a bit longer, but not worth paying the extra when we dont need it.

We're not taking a huge amount of stuff, only large items are 3 piece suite, tv, computer desk, the rests is bits and pieces and its these that seem to mount up, especially the kids toys!!! Most of the container will be filled with Bratz dolls I think :scared:

Jo
Hi Jo,
I've got a son whose a Bratz fan :scared: He's got 21! not to mention the limo, spa, bubble car.
Told him he can't have anymore!!! He now wants a Bratz little carryon suitcase so he can take them on the plane - ashe doesn't want them going on the ship!!!!

so i too will watch this thread with interest!

L-j
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:54 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Thanks a bunch guys for all the replies. I really appreciate it. I've got loads of shippers coming round for quotes next week, I just wanted to check out good a bad experiences.

Thanks

Anne x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.