Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

reaction to your accent

reaction to your accent

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:25 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: My theory

Originally posted by badgersmount

I listen to ABC in the ute a lot recently, which is serious radio and even the well educated broadcasters seem more laid back, there is less presumption and pomp in Australia. Noone wants to be seen to being opinionated. Interspersed with the occasional Australianism to break it up a bit of course. ;-)

BM
So is ABC a kind of less stuck-up version of BBC Radio 4 then?

Anya.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Also australians seem to construct sentences differently - again which all helps to the general easy going style.

It's all geared to 'negotiation'. Being 'personable' is very important in Australian culture. The first thing my new boss said to me at my interview - he heard me chatting to his staff - was "I can see you're personable". A mate of mine at work sees this as aussie blokes are pragmatic and opportunistic - doing lots of lstening and encouragement to see what could be in it for themselves - sounds cynical but probably true - and really a positive thing. My boss is a laugh - he comes over as really funny and agreeable - yet will be ***** this and forget that. Very astute.

I listen to ABC in the ute a lot recently, which is serious radio and even the well educated broadcasters seem more laid back, there is less presumption and pomp in Australia. Noone wants to be seen to being opinionated. Interspersed with the occasional Australianism to break it up a bit of course. ;-)

BM
What the hell do you put in your cup of coffee? Talk about rose-tinted spectacles...
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anya4oz
So is ABC a kind of less stuck-up version of BBC Radio 4 then?

Anya.
ABC radio? Sure. If you equate 'downmarket, BBC wannabe' with 'less stuck-up'...
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:46 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

if you want to hear some NZ accents and see their more 'relaxed' news and current affairs have a look at the clips on this page: http://onenews.nzoom.com/

gees, it looks and sounds so amateurish compared with serious UK broadcasts.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:55 am
WBB

Originally posted by MikeStanton
What the hell do you put in your cup of coffee? Talk about rose-tinted spectacles...
try giving a bit more mike.

you reap what you sow.

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:57 am
Badge

<sigh>

Hello Mike...

1) I can't help what my new boss says to me. Do you create the same impression. Obviously not.(;-) I think.
2) I can't help what opinions my new colleague has- which I relate here (about personable and pragmatic people). They said this to me today, and they are an ex Pom who
has been here 14 years - unlike you they are staying.

Rose tinted glasses? I believe my success in Australia - and infact, in life, is largley attributable to my self-confidence, energy and 'winning attitude' which rubs off on people. My mother tells me that I was always like this even at an early age.
So they tell me anyway. In the main I make a habit of getting on with people. And I find that is not an unusual attribute in Australia.

So as some of your cronies say, "get over it" Mike. You are clearly not suited to living in Australia. I am not insulted, I am laughing at you.

Can you look in the mirror and hand on your heart say "I'm doing alright, I've done alright". It's a good feeling mate ;-)

remember what I said about results? Quips and little accusations do not interest me...

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:01 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by WBB

you reap what you sow.

As a good old Essex Girl I detest the Essex accent but love the regional accents of the UK such as Yorkshire, Welsh, Geordie etc, if fact anything but Essex, my eldest son has just started reception year at school and now talks like Dick Van Dyke from the film " Mary Poppins" so I for one cannot wait for him to loose his British Accent and adopt the ozzie drawl.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:02 am
Badge

Originally posted by WBB

you reap what you sow.
Well put mate. Mike you have to listen to people sometimes. Mate seriously, sometimes I look at this country (Australia) and think - it's not effing rocket science.....;-)

giggle.

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:07 am
Badge

Originally posted by jandjuk
gees, it looks and sounds so amateurish compared with serious UK broadcasts.
IPMSFL. I've noticed this and it makes me laugh - why I love the news over here, infact.

As far as I'm concerned - do the aussies and kiwis really give a stuff. The broadcasters I hear on the ABC radio seem to want to let rip a bit more but are holding back just to please a minority ..I get headaches when I listen to the UK broadcasters. Stop shouting!

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:37 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

IPMSFL. I've noticed this and it makes me laugh - why I love the news over here, infact.

As far as I'm concerned - do the aussies and kiwis really give a stuff. The broadcasters I hear on the ABC radio seem to want to let rip a bit more but are holding back just to please a minority ..I get headaches when I listen to the UK broadcasters. Stop shouting!

I'm sure I heard something on BBC Radio 4 the other day about how the Aussie equivalent of the 'Today' programme is called 'AM', & it also had an 'Andrew Gilligan' equivalent, who uncovered alleged government 'mis-facts' about its involvement in Iraq.

Blimey. Is this true?

Anya.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello Badge...

Lordy, lordy!
2) I can't help what opinions my new colleague has- which I relate here (about personable and pragmatic people). They said this to me today, and they are an ex Pom who
has been here 14 years - unlike you they are staying.
Your boss obviously made it over the 12-year hump. Congrats! I thought you said that (sic) "Noone wants to be seen to being opinionated" in Oz - so does that mean your colleagues' opinions were conveyed to you in the dark?

Rose tinted glasses? I believe my success in Australia - and infact, in life, is largley attributable to my self-confidence, energy and 'winning attitude' which rubs off on people.
It certainly rubbed off on me. Which is why I'm back in the UK

So as some of your cronies say, "get over it" Mike. You are clearly not suited to living in Australia. I am not insulted, I am laughing at you.

Can you look in the mirror and hand on your heart say "I'm doing alright, I've done alright". It's a good feeling mate ;-)
I am happy for you that you're enjoying your job. But to make such positive generalisations about Oz workplace after...how many years exactly? As an aside, it also begs the question why you couldn't use your 'winning attitude' in the UK.

And the mirror? I say, "I did OK in Oz, but now - so far - I'm doing a lot better back in the UK."

And then my wife tells me to stop talking to myself
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:41 am
wombat42

When l was in America a woman noticed my Australian accent and
said, " what country are you from?" and l said. "Australia"
then she said," What's it like living in the third world" and l replied
" l don't know l have'nt been living in America long enough to tell
you".

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

In my job I tend to get asked every day where I'm from. A lot of aussies seem to think I'm Irish, but I'm a Barnsley lass and the yorkshire accent doesn't come stronger than that! I'm a bit too long in the tooth to adopt the aussie drawl but my kids turned into little aussies with the first month
Sue
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 5:35 pm
Linda Max

It really upsets these dammed colonials when you tell them if they cant understand proper english, then it might just be them that has the problem, and there is NOTHING wrong with OUR accents.

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 6:05 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I am finding it interesting that more people over here pick up the touch of the West Country burr ( and it is only a touch, honest ) I have got than back in the uk - and these are Kiwis - not poms.

When they say - where you from? and I say UK - they yes I know that but where in the UK? and I say Harrow they say oh, I thought it was the West Country somewhere and I have to admit to have being bought up in Gloucestershire.

The thing is, I don't think I have an accent at all and hubby reckons my mobile phone answer message is pure kiwi already so obviously my accent is feeling very at the moment!