Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

reaction to your accent

Wikiposts

reaction to your accent

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:24 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TrickyTree
Got a few strange looks when I was in Gympie as thats where the other halfs family are.
Dont think they got to many Poms in that neck of the wood.

But in Brisbane nobody seemed to bat an eyelid.

Other than having to repeat every other sentence in proper English instaed of Nottingham slang.

TT
OMG - your other half is from Gympie???!!!! We've got a good friend from Gympie but I've never met anyone else from that neck of the woods...
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by podgypossum
my voice has taken on a real identity crisis. I am a cockney, who married a kiwi and lived there 2yrs, and was told by my family i had a kiwi accent. Now i am in Oz, my pom friends living here think i have an Aussie accent, but i still think i sound English!!... i must sound a bit odd to some people

Same problems with an Irish accent, and mine's not too pronounced...
I know the Country is small but have been asked many times by American's if I know their Great-Aunts, 2nd cousins, etc. as if the whole country knows one another. One man even asked me if I'd bring a package over to some relative of his in Ireland. Was in Washington a few years back and every-one I spoke to mentioned "Angela's Ashes" and took great pity on me!!

CK
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:27 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CK2B
Same problems with an Irish accent, and mine's not too pronounced...
I know the Country is small but have been asked many times by American's if I know their Great-Aunts, 2nd cousins, etc. as if the whole country knows one another. One man even asked me if I'd bring a package over to some relative of his in Ireland. Was in Washington a few years back and every-one I spoke to mentioned "Angela's Ashes" and took great pity on me!!

CK

But we get that with Oz. I swear, whenever Mr Bundy meets a fellow aussie, he finds out he knows them somehow, or they all know the same people. We went to a Powderfinger concert in London a couple of weeks back and found ourselves standing next to a couple of blokes Mr B once played rugby with...
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:28 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Yep shes born and bred in the Gump.

I heard all the stories and was expecting 3 armed 16 toed freaks (a little like Derby ) to appear but it seemed pretty normal when I got there.

Dont think we could live there though seemed a little to quite.

TT

Originally posted by bundy
OMG - your other half is from Gympie???!!!! We've got a good friend from Gympie but I've never met anyone else from that neck of the woods...
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:30 am
She's a bird, you know

Yep shes born and bred in the Gump.

I heard all the stories and was expecting 3 armed 16 toed freaks (a little like Derby ) to appear but it seemed pretty normal when I got there.

Dont think we could live there though seemed a little to quite.

TT
Well, our mate from Gympie is a little bobby dazzler, a top bloke all round. His family still live there and he goes back for long stints every now and then.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

i love accents and dialects. Always listening to the little differences in how each one pronounces words diffrently...maybe thats why i pick up accents unwittingly...my first husband was Scottish and i often used to pronounce words in his accent by accident
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:32 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

I've worked really hard to get rid of my US accent & thought I'd succeded - until one time last year, when I went to collect an order at the florists, & the woman called into the back room - 'got those flowers for the American Lady?'.

While I was busy being offended, her colleague rushed out of the back room & said 'Oh, she's AMERICAN is she?' & started to tell me how disgusted she was that 'my' president had invaded Iraq!!

Uh oh - it was so NOT GOOD

The other day I heard a radio interview with the Aussie actress Cate Blanchett - apart from the fact that I think she speaks beautifully, there's a touch of pure Boston in her vowel sounds (long drawn out, light a's) that it'd be dead easy for me to pick up. So hopefully my accent will gravitate towards upscale Australian - & I'll never have to get the personal blame for the Iraq war again

Anya.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:34 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by anya4oz
I've worked really hard to get rid of my US accent & thought I'd succeded - until one time last year, when I went to collect an order at the florists, & the woman called into the back room - 'got those flowers for the American Lady?'.

While I was busy being offended, her colleague rushed out of the back room & said 'Oh, she's AMERICAN is she?' & started to tell me how disgusted she was that 'my' president had invaded Iraq!!

Uh oh - it was so NOT GOOD

The other day I heard a radio interview with the Aussie actress Cate Blanchett - apart from the fact that I think she speaks beautifully, there's a touch of pure Boston in her vowel sounds (long drawn out, light a's) that it'd be dead easy for me to pick up. So hopefully my accent will gravitate towards upscale Australian - & I'll never have to get the personal blame for the Iraq war again

Anya.
LOL!!!

We all knew the whole war thing was your fault Anya.

Upscale aussie sounds good, stick with it!
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Simone82
lol!!

If I speak English with Dutch people then it sounds like dutch english! And more english english than Australian english. I think it's got something to do with automatically adjusting my accent to who I'm talking too.... ??
Everybody confused now!

I do that as well! Whenever I talk to Aussies my accent is stronger like how it was before I moved to England but when speak to locals it's not as strong. Adjusting to who I'm talking to.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:47 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

OCH AYE THE NOOO

there do u think I will pass for Aussie lmao
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:53 am
Badge

Default My theory

Actually your accent doesn't change, I find, your DELIVERY changes. You become more laid back, less direct, more agreeable if you know what I mean. When you then go back to the UK, you fidn that it's too 'fast', and that people seem terse and jumpy. Especially in London, took me weeks to get used to it.

When I rang up mates in Straya it was so nice to get all the relaxing delivery again. When I was looking for work, I found it weird speaking to Pommie recruitment agents - they seemed too fast. Wo slow down, slow down! Calm down! Really threw me.

Badge

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:56 am
She's a bird, you know

Default Re: My theory

Originally posted by badgersmount
Actually your accent doesn't change, I find, your DELIVERY changes. You become more laid back, less direct, more agreeable if you know what I mean. When you then go back to the UK, you fidn that it's too 'fast', and that people seem terse and jumpy. Especially in London, took me weeks to get used to it.

When I rang up mates in Straya it was so nice to get all the relaxing delivery again. When I was looking for work, I found it weird speaking to Pommie recruitment agents - they seemed too fast. Wo slow down, slow down! Calm down! Really threw me.

Badge

True Badge, there's a lot in the delivery...

When I first took Mr B home to Norfolk, he had absolutely no trouble understanding the broad Norfolk accent of some of the farmers out where my parents were living - my mum had lived there 33 years and still couldn't get the accent, but Mr B got it straight away. I reckon it's because broad Norfolk and country australian are similar in their speed and delivery.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:13 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

CRIKEY!!!!

Dont tell me that Bundy.

Guess I wont be going out woop woop as I wont understand a bloody thing if its like a Norfolk accent!!!!

TT

When I first took Mr B home to Norfolk, he had absolutely no trouble understanding the broad Norfolk accent of some of the farmers out where my parents were living - my mum had lived there 33 years and still couldn't get the accent, but Mr B got it straight away. I reckon it's because broad Norfolk and country australian are similar in their speed and delivery.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:16 am
She's a bird, you know

CRIKEY!!!!

Dont tell me that Bundy.

Guess I wont be going out woop woop as I wont understand a bloody thing if its like a Norfolk accent!!!!

TT

LOL!!!

I grew up there, so I've got Norfolk down pat! You might be stuffed, TT...perhaps a quick trip to Naaaarrrrfk to practise???!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:17 am
Badge

Also australians seem to construct sentences differently - again which all helps to the general easy going style.

It's all geared to 'negotiation'. Being 'personable' is very important in Australian culture. The first thing my new boss said to me at my interview - he heard me chatting to his staff - was "I can see you're personable". A mate of mine at work sees this as aussie blokes are pragmatic and opportunistic - doing lots of lstening and encouragement to see what could be in it for themselves - sounds cynical but probably true - and really a positive thing. My boss is a laugh - he comes over as really funny and agreeable - yet will be ***** this and forget that. Very astute.

I listen to ABC in the ute a lot recently, which is serious radio and even the well educated broadcasters seem more laid back, there is less presumption and pomp in Australia. Noone wants to be seen to being opinionated. Interspersed with the occasional Australianism to break it up a bit of course. ;-)

BM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.