Racism in OZ

Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in OZ

Originally Posted by chris955
I think that really is semantics, obviously noone thinks the country itself is racist but we all know what the it means if someone asks whether a country is racist.
Doesn't stop it being wrong and me being over an oft repeated query.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Hello again!

I really did not mean to cause offence here, perhaps I should have worded my first post differently. I did not mean it as a controversial statement and it was not intended as flippant. If some of you on here really thought it was a post designed to get a reaction then why bother posting? If you genuinely thought that then why not just read the OP, think "what a tw**" and then move on? I've seen many posts on here designed to flare up emotion and are purely designed to piss people off. I read it, laugh, call them a tw** (in my head!), then click on the cross and forget about it. This was not one of those and I can only apologise if it case across that way.

My friend had heard Oz is racist because she works with a girl who used to live there up until the age of 21 and she commented on it before. I am not sure where she lived or what she experienced, which is why there was not a lot of detail in the first post. This same friend is now looking at moving abroad, possibly Oz so naturally she would like to know if it is true. Something you will not find by googling it as someone suggested. I like to hear opinions and experiences straight from people living there at the time.

To be completely honest I don't know why some of you have gotten your knickers in a twist about it. If someone posted the exact same thing in the UK forum asking if the UK is racist I wouldn't be offended, I would give my honest opinion on the matter. In fact people suggest the UK is racist and xenophobic and I answer that with my honesty - no I don't think it is and then move on. I'm not really sure why this couldn't happen in this instance...
Many people get angry because there is a constant attack on Australia by international vested interest groups who benefit by creating bad images of other countries. China in particular is known to have an entire cyber army of hundreds of thousands of people constantly spreading lies about other countries online trying to subvert them in any way possible. For all I know you could be another Chinese cyber agent spreading more misinformation about Australia.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:57 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Hello again!

If someone posted the exact same thing in the UK forum asking if the UK is racist I wouldn't be offended, I would give my honest opinion on the matter. In fact people suggest the UK is racist and xenophobic and I answer that with my honesty - no I don't think it is and then move on. I'm not really sure why this couldn't happen in this instance...
But parts of the UK are racist, how is an Englishman treated in Glasgow, or aberistwyth (pardon the spelling) or more to the point, Belfast? thats kind of the point some of us are making.. everywhere is racist, sometimes, like in Zimbabwe and Alabama its right there in your face.. other places its a bit more subtle, but it exists everywhere.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:01 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Many people get angry because there is a constant attack on Australia by international vested interest groups who benefit by creating bad images of other countries. China in particular is known to have an entire cyber army of hundreds of thousands of people constantly spreading lies about other countries online trying to subvert them in any way possible. For all I know you could be another Chinese cyber agent spreading more misinformation about Australia.

Paranoid much!

I've been called a few things in my life but never a Chinese cyber agent!!!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy

Try seeing a psychiatrist and get some anti psychotics
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
No, a reasonable question is "is racism a problem in Australia?" Saying that you have heard "Australia is racist" is flippant and offensive, even if not intended to be. South Africa was a racist country during Apartheid. That is the difference. "I've heard Britain is racist" - think about what that is implying for a moment.
This being a forum I don't believe it matters a great deal the wording. A number of people have the impression Australia is racist.They don't necessary refer to government policy just run of the mill comments on a street level.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Agree .... and why post the question on a public forum if it wasn't intended to spark contraversy, especially when it's for a friend rather than her/himself.. A simple google search would have done the trick.
Perhaps for that reason.....it being a forum.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hello again!

I really did not mean to cause offence here, perhaps I should have worded my first post differently. I did not mean it as a controversial statement and it was not intended as flippant. If some of you on here really thought it was a post designed to get a reaction then why bother posting? If you genuinely thought that then why not just read the OP, think "what a tw**" and then move on? I've seen many posts on here designed to flare up emotion and are purely designed to piss people off. I read it, laugh, call them a tw** (in my head!), then click on the cross and forget about it. This was not one of those and I can only apologise if it case across that way.

My friend had heard Oz is racist because she works with a girl who used to live there up until the age of 21 and she commented on it before. I am not sure where she lived or what she experienced, which is why there was not a lot of detail in the first post. This same friend is now looking at moving abroad, possibly Oz so naturally she would like to know if it is true. Something you will not find by googling it as someone suggested. I like to hear opinions and experiences straight from people living there at the time.

To be completely honest I don't know why some of you have gotten your knickers in a twist about it. If someone posted the exact same thing in the UK forum asking if the UK is racist I wouldn't be offended, I would give my honest opinion on the matter. In fact people suggest the UK is racist and xenophobic and I answer that with my honesty - no I don't think it is and then move on. I'm not really sure why this couldn't happen in this instance...
I'm not sure what some are on about either. A pretty normal question a few years back for many that travelled a bit looking at Australia's recent history.
I guess we as white folk can not really relate to your question first hand.
It shouldn't warrent some of the replies though.

But it's only the internet. Just a point with regards to how laid back things are in Oz. Not awfully apparent judging by some replies.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by derab
But parts of the UK are racist, how is an Englishman treated in Glasgow, or aberistwyth (pardon the spelling) or more to the point, Belfast? thats kind of the point some of us are making.. everywhere is racist, sometimes, like in Zimbabwe and Alabama its right there in your face.. other places its a bit more subtle, but it exists everywhere.
Some places more so. I know black folk far more comfortable to be living in London than in more parochial areas. Same would apply in OZ cities compared to country regions as a general rule.

As a white person I felt comfortable living in Cape Town but less so Natal....
The question may be simplistic in a sense....but it is only a forum. Although this question is often asked there are always new peeps coming on ...
Old Dec 6th 2012, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Doesn't stop it being wrong and me being over an oft repeated query.
What is wrong in asking a question.Some folk have have been exposed to long perhaps? Many things are repeats surely? That's the nature of the forum. Every year a new crop of potential immigrants asking similar questions........
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:22 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
This being a forum I don't believe it matters a great deal the wording. A number of people have the impression Australia is racist.They don't necessary refer to government policy just run of the mill comments on a street level.
Again, that implies that Australia is a racist country, when it is no more or less racist than any other place. Racism is in every society at all levels, and is only reduced by education. It gets worse when economies go down the pan as those at the top seek to redirect blame from them and pit the races against one another. Done since Roman times and probably earlier. It has nothing to do with any particular nation and I for one am tired of the lazy, hackneyed and defamatory attitude that Australia is "a racist country". People want to go to some eastern European countries if they want to see real racists, or the Deep South of the US, for example. Both these locations have problems with racism that make anything you find in Aus look pretty tame.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Again, that implies that Australia is a racist country, when it is no more or less racist than any other place. Racism is in every society at all levels, and is only reduced by education. It gets worse when economies go down the pan as those at the top seek to redirect blame from them and pit the races against one another. Done since Roman times and probably earlier. It has nothing to do with any particular nation and I for one am tired of the lazy, hackneyed and defamatory attitude that Australia is "a racist country". People want to go to some eastern European countries if they want to see real racists, or the Deep South of the US, for example. Both these locations have problems with racism that make anything you find in Aus look pretty tame.
I think the OP is more positive than it's being made out to be. Instead of saying 'Australia is a racist country, I'd never recommend moving there' they are asking the question that will give them more insight into how things are over here. If you don't like having to respond to these things, why have you posted so much on it?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:40 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I think the OP is more positive than it's being made out to be. Instead of saying 'Australia is a racist country, I'd never recommend moving there' they are asking the question that will give them more insight into how things are over here. If you don't like having to respond to these things, why have you posted so much on it?
It is now a debate on the nature of racism in Australia relative to other places.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:40 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Exactly. The OP did nothing wrong - that is completely obvious. If the Deep South of the US is racist...someone might not know about the extent of that until they ask. Apparently that would be reasonable. But not so if they ask a similar question about Australia.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bcworld
Exactly. The OP did nothing wrong - that is completely obvious. If the Deep South of the US is racist...someone might not know about the extent of that until they ask. Apparently that would be reasonable. But not so if they ask if a similar question about Australia.
Again, it was the phrasing used, the casual "heard it's racist" that reminded me of the easy way these stupid reputations get hammered into people's consciousnesses. "I heard Pakistanis are lazy?" Any truth in that? Anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.