Racism in OZ

Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in OZ

Please abide by the forum rules and refrain from name calling.

Thank you.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:20 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I don't like the term "pom" and I do think it's racist.

If you swap the word "pom" with the word "different" or "foreigner" then you'll get what I mean.

And the word "pom" is often preceeded by an insult... bloody, whinging etc.

It's a term used to single out someone of a particular nationality.

That's racist.
Pom is a tough one for sure... I think it's one of those "depends how it's meant" one to be honest and can be used as a racist insult or friendly way. You're right about it singling out a particular group though - like Taff or Jock etc.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 10:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Pom is a tough one for sure... I think it's one of those "depends how it's meant" one to be honest and can be used as a racist insult or friendly way. You're right about it singling out a particular group though - like Taff or Jock etc.
I think the same about "pom" - I've always been called pom or pommy at work by mates and colleagues, and only on one occasion has it been used offensively. On that occasion I objected politely and was backed up by other staff who also pointed out to the "offender" the difference in the way it was used.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yet so many then make up their minds about all Australians.

Alot of the world still see Australia in cliches, too, of course.

Critters, snakes, barbies, you name it!
And Sittnee is still the capital
Old Dec 7th 2012, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

If somebody addresses me as a pom [happens all the time when dealing with schoolkids], or tells me to go back to my own country [still waiting for this one], he is probably just being rude/simple/asinine etc., possibly to further some personal agenda.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 11:24 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I don't like the term "pom" and I do think it's racist.

If you swap the word "pom" with the word "different" or "foreigner" then you'll get what I mean.

And the word "pom" is often preceeded by an insult... bloody, whinging etc.

It's a term used to single out someone of a particular nationality.

That's racist.
No it is not racist, it is xenophobic. To single someone out because they are foreign is not racism, it is xenophobia. There is a difference.

I have no problem at all with being called a Pom and I think that goes for a lot of people. In its friendly form I view as a term of endearment and just a bit of banter. When I say friendly form I mean comments like "Hey Pommy, how ya going today?" So when you say it's usually followed by an insult is inaccurate as I've only witnessed it in the opposite capacity.

However like Pollyanna mentioned if it is used as a derogatory slur then it bothers me a little more like "oh, you stupid f***** Pom". Even then it wouldn't bother me that much, I would laugh it off and declare the person throwing the insult as pathetic seeing as they can't come up with anything better...
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
No it is not racist, it is xenophobic. To single someone out because they are foreign is not racism, it is xenophobia. There is a difference.

I have no problem at all with being called a Pom and I think that goes for a lot of people. In its friendly form I view as a term of endearment and just a bit of banter. When I say friendly form I mean comments like "Hey Pommy, how ya going today?" So when you say it's usually followed by an insult is inaccurate as I've only witnessed it in the opposite capacity.

However like Pollyanna mentioned if it is used as a derogatory slur then it bothers me a little more like "oh, you stupid f***** Pom". Even then it wouldn't bother me that much, I would laugh it off and declare the person throwing the insult as pathetic seeing as they can't come up with anything better...
In my case it wasn't pathetic as such - it was used by a senior manager in a professional situation and this was highly inappropriate. I was even encouraged to make a formal complaint, and if it had been used in that way to someone of maybe Indian or Pakistani background I would have encouraged them to complain as well.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 11:09 am
Just Joined

chochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to all

I could talk about this all day but the reality is that Australia is a racist country. Deeply embarrassingly so. Made all the worse by their ignorant and steadfast denial of the situation.

This might be because they are genuinely ignorant but either way it's a grim stat of affairs.

I use the cricket example. Every year a new touring party comes to Australia for a series and the same story is run every year about how the Aussies are going to target a certain player for sledging.

They always choose the player that's strikes the Aussies as 'different' Monty Panesar, Hashim Amla. Individuality is a virtual crime in Australia and they find it incredibly confrontational.

This is why they are so obsessed with assimilation of immigrants without realising that the national least about to assimilate anywhere are Australians.
See West London for further details. See the kids in my office who proudly talk about spending two years in London without meeting and "Pommies"

I'm a senior professional in my industry and I have to put up with my some of my staff members actually saying to me "You aren't like other black people."

What? Really? How many have you met?

This is the Australian attitude to race summed up in one sentence. They get their ideas from the media and that Sir is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but.

I love Australia the place but I seriously worry about the people. Pride in ignorance is a horrible thing to watch.

I'll never say a negative word about the UK ever again. I don't care what anyone says, the Brits have a decency and tolerance about them unmatched anywhere in the world and for that they should be very, very proud.

I've seen the other side, it's called the Australian mentality.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 11:25 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chochobnob
Made all the worse by their ignorant and steadfast denial of the situation.
That'll be right. They use deflection, denial and derision to avoid their own confrontation. Usually ends up with their standard response, 'Well if its that bad then go back to where you came from!"!
Old Dec 8th 2012, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We should be happy with who we are and then we would not worry about what others think.

Racism is talked about a lot, a lot would like Aus to become like other PC countries.

Personally I would like to think people liked me for me not for what I looked like, fat, thin, disabled, white, pink, green or whatever colour and I do believe that in Aus people do.

If people make a song and dance about everything someone says to them then they are going to face discrimination, Aussies hate people who use things to get advantage, or people who they have to watch what they say. So of course if people are like that happen to be white or some other colour then they are going to get stick.

Australia is so multicultural that most people do not even notice, notice I said most, that leaves a very very small minority who do.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 11:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals

If people make a song and dance about everything someone says to them then they are going to face discrimination, Aussies hate people who use things to get advantage, or people who they have to watch what they say. So of course if people are like that happen to be white or some other colour then they are going to get stick.
Is this supposed to be ironic?
Old Dec 8th 2012, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chochobnob
I could talk about this all day but the reality is that Australia is a racist country. Deeply embarrassingly so. Made all the worse by their ignorant and steadfast denial of the situation.

This might be because they are genuinely ignorant but either way it's a grim stat of affairs.

I use the cricket example. Every year a new touring party comes to Australia for a series and the same story is run every year about how the Aussies are going to target a certain player for sledging.

They always choose the player that's strikes the Aussies as 'different' Monty Panesar, Hashim Amla. Individuality is a virtual crime in Australia and they find it incredibly confrontational.

This is why they are so obsessed with assimilation of immigrants without realising that the national least about to assimilate anywhere are Australians.
See West London for further details. See the kids in my office who proudly talk about spending two years in London without meeting and "Pommies"

I'm a senior professional in my industry and I have to put up with my some of my staff members actually saying to me "You aren't like other black people."

What? Really? How many have you met?

This is the Australian attitude to race summed up in one sentence. They get their ideas from the media and that Sir is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but.

I love Australia the place but I seriously worry about the people. Pride in ignorance is a horrible thing to watch.

I'll never say a negative word about the UK ever again. I don't care what anyone says, the Brits have a decency and tolerance about them unmatched anywhere in the world and for that they should be very, very proud.

I've seen the other side, it's called the Australian mentality.
Go and live in a county where your race determines where you can live, the job you can do, the amount you're paid, the school your children can attend - if you try and cross a border illegally, you're shot. Then tell me Australia is a racist country. Basing the views of a nation on the acts of a few rednecks and imbecilic cricket commentators is crazy.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:00 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
We should be happy with who we are and then we would not worry about what others think.

Racism is talked about a lot, a lot would like Aus to become like other PC countries.

Personally I would like to think people liked me for me not for what I looked like, fat, thin, disabled, white, pink, green or whatever colour and I do believe that in Aus people do.

Australia is so multicultural that most people do not even notice, notice I said most, that leaves a very very small minority who do.
Your kidding right?
Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:01 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Kim67
Go and live in a county where your race determines where you can live, the job you can do, the amount you're paid, the school your children can attend - if you try and cross a border illegally, you're shot. Then tell me Australia is a racist country. Basing the views of a nation on the acts of a few rednecks and imbecilic cricket commentators is crazy.
I think a few indigenous people may take issue with your lack of understanding of their problems over the years.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
I think a few indigenous people may take issue with your lack of understanding of their problems over the years.
Really? I have indigenous family members and I understand the problems involved from both sides of the fence. Many decades have been spent trying to fix the problem and not one person has come up with an answer to it - there is no easy answer to the problem but fortunately changes are beginning to have effect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.