Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question - UK drivers licence

Question - UK drivers licence

Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Griffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really nice
Default Re: Question - UK drivers licence

Originally Posted by OilDigger
We looked at this during our validation in August and went along to the licensing centre in Joondalup Perth.

Our main concern was the fact we had validated our visas and the 3 month allowance for change time frame. That turned out OK as they will change your license at any time for the obligatory fees, however if you are stopped by the police then you may get fined, we go in three weeks and new licenses are one of the first things to sort. The one additional gem the issuing clerk gave us is that they inform the DVLA of the change of license to WA and as I understand it making your UK license invalid, although I didn't ask I assume you get the same courtesey if you come back to the UK as you do in Australia driving on a UK license.
Thats great - thanks for that confirmation - i was wondering about the time lag between validation and actually being there! We are planning on going in June so 6 months after validation!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

chris and tracy is an unknown quantity at this point

I changed my UK licence to a Victorian one just last week.

I've been here about 3 months, called up VicRoads to make an appointment and went to their office. At the appointment I filled in a form and they copied my passport, UK licence and utility bill for proof of address. Then they asked me to do a short eye test and took my picture. A week later I got my Victorian licence in the post. Easy peasy!

They didn't do anything to my UK licence except photocopy it.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Different states have different rules in regards driving licenses. Some return it intact, others punch a hole in it to show it is no longer valid.

You can always hang on to your UK one of course and not get an Aus one - that's what we've done. Not saying it;s right thing to do, but it is feasible.

As for a Aus one in the UK - if you hand in the Aus one the DVLA take it off you and send it back to Australia for cancellation, leaving you with your UK one only.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

pepys is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris and tracy
I changed my UK licence to a Victorian one just last week.

I've been here about 3 months, called up VicRoads to make an appointment and went to their office. At the appointment I filled in a form and they copied my passport, UK licence and utility bill for proof of address. Then they asked me to do a short eye test and took my picture. A week later I got my Victorian licence in the post. Easy peasy!

They didn't do anything to my UK licence except photocopy it.
Blimey! Back in '99 when I applied for a Victorian Licence they made me do a full test (computer based multiple choice plus a drive with an examiner) and then swiped and binned my UK licence much to my horror.

Mind you the 'test' involved me driving around the block while the examiner reminisced about his time in England, and I reported my UK licence lost to the DVLA and got a replacement.

I appreciate this is no longer relevant but thought I'd share my experience anyway.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

NSW we went along to the RTA filled in the forms, they copied passport and driving licence. We had our cousin sign a declaration saying that we lived at the address we'd given, as we had no proof. We had to do the eye test, had our photos taken, sat and waited for about 5 minutes and then were handed our licences over the counter. UK licence is still in tact. Although, with the new photo licences in the UK, they will actually lapse after the 10 year photocard runs out. We were going to try and keep it going but you have to pay every 10 years and sign to say that you are resident, which we're not. If you move back though you can just fill in a form and get a new one without retaking the UK test.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:55 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
I think you do have to do another test if you are moving to Perth. I handed mine in when I lived in Melbs and was just swapped over but different in WA I think??
Nope, in WA you just show your UK licence and get a Western Australia licence. The only test you have to do is an eye test.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

varsanik will become famous soon enoughvarsanik will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by slipshot
Different states have different rules in regards driving licenses. Some return it intact, others punch a hole in it to show it is no longer valid.

You can always hang on to your UK one of course and not get an Aus one - that's what we've done. Not saying it;s right thing to do, but it is feasible.

As for a Aus one in the UK - if you hand in the Aus one the DVLA take it off you and send it back to Australia for cancellation, leaving you with your UK one only.
By not changing your driving licence, you must remember that your insurance company can refuse to payout. Its simple for them to check your travel history.

"Tourists and visitors staying less than three months (varies by state and territory) are permitted to drive using their home country licence. Visitors staying more than three months must apply for a licence in the state in which they reside." (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%...e_in_Australia)

I hold three driving licences: UK, Australia (WA) and India (Gujarat) I have never had problems when dealing with relevant licencing bodies in any of the countries, hence would assume all are valid.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by OilDigger
although I didn't ask I assume you get the same courtesey if you come back to the UK as you do in Australia driving on a UK license.
That is correct, my wife changed her Aussie one to a UK one when we moved back to the UK, then changed it back to an Aussie one when we came back 4 years later, no fuss, no tests etc.

Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by slipshot
It is done by a few people, I got the fine and conviction for driving without a valid licence to prove it....

As a PR it just isn't worth it. Temp Visa holders are OK though, they can drive on a valid UK licence all the time they have a temp visa.

Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
They punched a hole in our UK one's. I was wondering if they are still valid if you go back to UK with a hole punched in them? I was well pissed off when they did that
I would imagine they punch a hole in the UK licence so that if you think you can pull the "I'm only a tourist" malarkey when pulled over the cop can see you are fibbing!

Having said that, the UK licence is nothing to do with Oz and I'm not at all sure they are within their rights defacing it. When I saw they were about to do it to mine I swapped it for my US licence - which was due to run out shortly!

Having said *all that* your UK licence won't be valid anyway since you won't have given them the correct address...........
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the punching the hole in the UK licence depends on what jobsworth you get in any state or territory. I also believe it's actually illegal for one country to deface the property of another country. As far as I'm concerned, the only people I would allow to punch a hole in my UK driving licence is DVLA.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I think the punching the hole in the UK licence depends on what jobsworth you get in any state or territory. I also believe it's actually illegal for one country to deface the property of another country. As far as I'm concerned, the only people I would allow to punch a hole in my UK driving licence is DVLA.
There was one State that insisted that they punch the hole, but they did give an alternative, if you didn't want the hole in the UK licence.... Take a full test

Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There was one State that insisted that they punch the hole, but they did give an alternative, if you didn't want the hole in the UK licence.... Take a full test
Come on ABC, you're the master of info, where's the law on one country defacing another country's property? It can't be legal. Southport QLD T didn't ask to do it to mine, or my husbands. Only heard it mentioned on here.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:17 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Question - UK drivers licence

My wife and I were permitted to keep our UK licenses. A holepunch was not involved!

Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:18 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Be interesting to punch a hole in one's own Oz licence and then take it into the local RTA office! See what they say. Goose, sauce, gander etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.