Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question - UK drivers licence

Question - UK drivers licence

Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:13 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Question - UK drivers licence

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Come on ABC, you're the master of info, where's the law on one country defacing another country's property? It can't be legal. Southport QLD T didn't ask to do it to mine, or my husbands. Only heard it mentioned on here.
NSW used to do it in the 1980's, but don't any more.
Victoria also at some stage did it, but I don't think they do anymore.
I don't think that QLD ever did it.

I think their reasoning was that by issuing an Australian licence in exchange for the UK one, the UK one was no longer valid, according to the DVLA, and therefore no longer fell under any rules against defacing what was now just a bit of worthless paper.

Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I think their reasoning was that by issuing an Australian licence in exchange for the UK one, the UK one was no longer valid, according to the DVLA, and therefore no longer fell under any rules against defacing what was now just a bit of worthless paper.
I'd say it wasn't their decision to make but what do I know
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:19 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

But they are not issuing a licence in exchange for a UK one. They are using the UK one purely as confirmation that the driver is appropriately trained and fit to hold an Australian one.

I used to hold both UK and USA licences, and used both. There's no question that one can hold several licences simultaneously.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
But they are not issuing a licence in exchange for a UK one. They are using the UK one purely as confirmation that the driver is appropriately trained and fit to hold an Australian one.

I used to hold both UK and USA licences, and used both. There's no question that one can hold several licences simultaneously.
Things may have changed since the days in which the holes were punched.

Back then they did the same as the UK does, and invalidate the previous licence, but in Australia they allowed you to hold onto it, instead of taking it from you.

UK Rules on licence swap:
The following conditions must be met before a licence can be granted in exchange for a GB one:
* you must surrender your foreign licence which will be returned to the issuing authority
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022562

Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
That may not have been the case before, and doesn't seem to have been the case in Europe either, although it did change for a while...

Driving Licence Law in Europe Loophole Closed
Since the introduction of free movement throughout Europe it has become possible for drivers to hold two driving licences at the same time, one from his country of origin and another, quite legally, issued in the country in which he now resides.

This has led to a situation whereby a driver is convicted of an offence following which his licence is taken away only to be allowed to continue to legally drive a car using his second licence as his entitlement to drive in a European country. This loophole has now been closed by the European Court Of Justice following a case in which an Austrian driver living in Germany was banned from driving following a drink drive conviction.

Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:55 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Question - UK drivers licence

Originally Posted by Wol
Be interesting to punch a hole in one's own Oz licence and then take it into the local RTA office! See what they say. Goose, sauce, gander etc.
When I applied for my British license the DVLA confiscated my Australian license and said they were "returning it to the country of origin." I have no idea what they thought the Australian government was going to do with it.

Needless to say, I never saw it again. Even a holepunch would have been better than that!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Farmer Joe is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an HGV UK Licence. When I go to Oz I want to be able to drive lorries there as well. I appreciate I will have to 'exchange' my licence to drive a car followed by a lorry test but still want to be able to drive a lorry in the UK on a UK licence.

However, I've just spoken to the DVLA who tell me that when a licence is exchanged in a foreign country a marker is automatically applied to your 'account' at the DVLA at which point it is illegal to drive in the UK on your UK licence so I wouldn't be able to drive a lorry until I've exchanged it back again! (They advised I should start from scratch in Oz and do a car test. Stuff that!!)

So my question is when I apply for an Oz licence using as a basis my UK licence is it possible to avoid this marker? Is it really down to whichever Jobsworth you get as moneypenny20 suggests?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and tracy
I changed my UK licence to a Victorian one just last week.

I've been here about 3 months, called up VicRoads to make an appointment and went to their office. At the appointment I filled in a form and they copied my passport, UK licence and utility bill for proof of address. Then they asked me to do a short eye test and took my picture. A week later I got my Victorian licence in the post. Easy peasy!

They didn't do anything to my UK licence except photocopy it.

Did they give it back to you as is, and did you have to show them the paper counterpart to exchange?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
When I applied for my British license the DVLA confiscated my Australian license and said they were "returning it to the country of origin." I have no idea what they thought the Australian government was going to do with it.

Needless to say, I never saw it again. Even a holepunch would have been better than that!
The same with our South African ones. Never saw them again.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:56 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Come to think about it, I obtained my US licence by going through the normal tests, so there was no question of showing my UK one.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:44 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Question - UK drivers licence

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Did they give it back to you as is
Yes.

and did you have to show them the paper counterpart to exchange?
Yes.

I now have two licenses, fully intact.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 3:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Farmer Joe
I have an HGV UK Licence. When I go to Oz I want to be able to drive lorries there as well. I appreciate I will have to 'exchange' my licence to drive a car followed by a lorry test but still want to be able to drive a lorry in the UK on a UK licence.

However, I've just spoken to the DVLA who tell me that when a licence is exchanged in a foreign country a marker is automatically applied to your 'account' at the DVLA at which point it is illegal to drive in the UK on your UK licence so I wouldn't be able to drive a lorry until I've exchanged it back again! (They advised I should start from scratch in Oz and do a car test. Stuff that!!)

So my question is when I apply for an Oz licence using as a basis my UK licence is it possible to avoid this marker? Is it really down to whichever Jobsworth you get as moneypenny20 suggests?
Is a car and HGV on the same licence now ?
I might be going back a bit (or a lot) but I think they were once separate licences.

If they were, that would be ideal.

I don't think it will matter which person does your changeover, as it will be the British side of things that cancels your UK licence, not the Australian one.

But I don't actually think that the Australians send anything back to the UK, especially as you get to keep your UK licence anyway.

Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Farmer Joe is an unknown quantity at this point

Its all on the same licence.
Even if they give back my UK licence don't they still inform the DVLA?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Farmer Joe
Its all on the same licence.
Even if they give back my UK licence don't they still inform the DVLA?
I am not sure. One of my wife's friends works (or worked) in the NSW RTA, I will try to find out what they normally do.

Send me a PM in a few days time to remind me, in case I forget.