Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question - UK drivers licence

Question - UK drivers licence

Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Griffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really nice
Default Question - UK drivers licence

Hi all,

I wanted to once again tap into the collective BE mind and find out what those who have gone before have done.... with regards to drivers licences.

My wife and I both have full UK drivers licences and if i am not mistaken from the reams of reading i have done and double checked (and triple checked) we are able to "simply swap" this for the Australian one once we arrive.....

What have you done with regards to letting the DVLA know about the move to Australia? Have you used a relatives address in the UK or do they accept Australian addresses?

Thanks guys.

Dilwyn
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:10 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Question - UK drivers licence

They do not accept Australian addresses.

I live in Birmingham, I think

Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Griffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They do not accept Australian addresses.

I live in Birmingham, I think
Thanks for that - looks like i am moving from West Sussex to Manchester......
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as DVLA are concerned, I believe I still live in the same house I did four years ago. Didn't bother contacting them, I wasn't about to get any money back from them. Only told those institutions who would refund me money
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
As far as DVLA are concerned, I believe I still live in the same house I did four years ago. Didn't bother contacting them, I wasn't about to get any money back from them. Only told those institutions who would refund me money
Good plan - i like it!!

Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Griffangus
Good plan - i like it!!

Thanks for the info.
I remember readin that when you get your Australian license (just a matter of filling a form, paying a fee & showing your English one), they invlidate (punch a hole in), your UK one, is this correct
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by freebo
I remember readin that when you get your Australian license (just a matter of filling a form, paying a fee & showing your English one), they invlidate (punch a hole in), your UK one, is this correct
they just give it back unmolested. Remember if you have the photo one you need the paper part as well
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:20 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

They punched a hole in our UK one's. I was wondering if they are still valid if you go back to UK with a hole punched in them? I was well pissed off when they did that
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
They punched a hole in our UK one's. I was wondering if they are still valid if you go back to UK with a hole punched in them? I was well pissed off when they did that
must have changed since I got mine. 3 years ago mind
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Honest truth - if it means that i don't have to do another test they can keep it!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:32 pm

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

I think you do have to do another test if you are moving to Perth. I handed mine in when I lived in Melbs and was just swapped over but different in WA I think??
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by kporte
must have changed since I got mine. 3 years ago mind
Got mine 5 years ago, when they punched a hole in it so maybe they stopped doing that now?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

The only test you do in Perth is an eye sight test. We got our UK ones back fully intact too. Our Aussie ones came through in about 5 days or so.

BTW, that is assuming you are just changing from a bike or a car to similar. I think HGV etc is different.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kingseat
The only test you do in Perth is an eye sight test. We got our UK ones back fully intact too. Our Aussie ones came through in about 5 days or so.

BTW, that is assuming you are just changing from a bike or a car to similar. I think HGV etc is different.
Magic - thanks for this confirmation!

I am pretty sure even I can pass an eye test

Yup - car to car is all that is desired!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

OilDigger is an unknown quantity at this point

We looked at this during our validation in August and went along to the licensing centre in Joondalup Perth.

Our main concern was the fact we had validated our visas and the 3 month allowance for change time frame. That turned out OK as they will change your license at any time for the obligatory fees, however if you are stopped by the police then you may get fined, we go in three weeks and new licenses are one of the first things to sort. The one additional gem the issuing clerk gave us is that they inform the DVLA of the change of license to WA and as I understand it making your UK license invalid, although I didn't ask I assume you get the same courtesey if you come back to the UK as you do in Australia driving on a UK license.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.