Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

This question is for Kiwi's`Only

This question is for Kiwi's`Only

Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all
Default This question is for Kiwi's`Only

Please tell me why you moved to Australia? I am so sick of hearing about how many have moved & continuing to move and wonder what the great attraction is about moving to Australia. If some of you could answer the following questions it would provide those left behind in New Zealand with the answers. Maybe they will all join you!

Do you love it?

Are you better off?

What do you like better about Australia than New Zealand?

What do you prefer about New Zealand to Australia?

Are you working in Australia?

Was it easy to find a job in Australia?

Have you bought a property in Australia?

If so how much Stamp Duty did you pay?

Have you bought a car in Australia?

Are cars cheaper in Australia than New Zealand?

Do you see your move as permanent?

Are you returning to live in New Zealand?

If so When?

Was moving to Australia a stepping stone to further afield like UK, USA or Europe?
Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:26 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: This question is for Kiwi's`Only

Originally Posted by Aucklander
Please tell me why you moved to Australia? I am so sick of hearing about how many have moved & continuing to move and wonder what the great attraction is about moving to Australia. If some of you could answer the following questions it would provide those left behind in New Zealand with the answers. Maybe they will all join you!
Do you love it? - Yes

Are you better off? - Yes

What do you like better about Australia than New Zealand? Developed country. Proper jobs with proper opportunities and chances of progression. Westernised economy. Not as parochial. People in Oz (Melbourne anyway) accept that there are different ways of doing things rather than the way it has always been done.

What do you prefer about New Zealand to Australia? Nothing.

Are you working in Australia? Yes

Was it easy to find a job in Australia? Yes, had 3 interviews in first week here.

Have you bought a property in Australia? Yes

If so how much Stamp Duty did you pay? Can't remember but built house so stamp duty on land only.

Have you bought a car in Australia? yes 2.

Are cars cheaper in Australia than New Zealand? Can't compare as bought 2 new cars here but could only afford 12 year old car in NZ.

Do you see your move as permanent? Yes.

Are you returning to live in New Zealand? I would rather stick knitting needles in my eyes.

If so When?

Was moving to Australia a stepping stone to further afield like UK, USA or Europe? Nope.

BB
Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: This question is for Kiwi's`Only

Do you love it? - In some ways yes and in others not really (like anywhere), I lived in London for 6 years before coming here (Sydney) and Dublin before London and Auckland before Dublin. I prefer London to Sydney.

Are you better off? In what way?, I have a good job here but I also had good jobs in the places mentioned above.

What do you like better about Australia than New Zealand? Economy is better, weather is better.

What do you prefer about New Zealand to Australia? People are better, landscape is much more interesting,

Was it easy to find a job in Australia? Yes, pretty easy considering the global economy.

Have you bought a property in Australia? No

If so how much Stamp Duty did you pay? NA

Have you bought a car in Australia? Yes

Are cars cheaper in Australia than New Zealand? Cars are much more expensive in Australia than New Zealand.

Do you see your move as permanent? Who knows what will happen in the future?

Are you returning to live in New Zealand? Possibly.

If so When? We will see.

Was moving to Australia a stepping stone to further afield like UK, USA or Europe? The opposite, it was somewhere to move after the UK but I see it as a stepping stone in possibly moving back to NZ (less of a shock after London as Sydney is still a big place).
Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Do you love it? - Yes

Are you better off? - Yes

What do you like better about Australia than New Zealand? Developed country. Proper jobs with proper opportunities and chances of progression. Westernised economy. Not as parochial. People in Oz (Melbourne anyway) accept that there are different ways of doing things rather than the way it has always been done.

What do you prefer about New Zealand to Australia? Nothing.

Was it easy to find a job in Australia? Yes, had 3 interviews in first week here.

Have you bought a property in Australia? Yes

If so how much Stamp Duty did you pay? Can't remember but built house so stamp duty on land only.

Have you bought a car in Australia? yes 2.

Are cars cheaper in Australia than New Zealand? Can't compare as bought 2 new cars here but could only afford 12 year old car in NZ.

Do you see your move as permanent? Yes.

Are you returning to live in New Zealand? I would rather stick knitting needles in my eyes.

If so When?

Was moving to Australia a stepping stone to further afield like UK, USA or Europe? Nope.

BB
Thanks for responding, interesting to see your answers.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fluid36
Do you love it? - In some ways yes and in others not really (like anywhere), I lived in London for 6 years before coming here (Sydney) and Dublin before London and Auckland before Dublin. I prefer London to Sydney.

Are you better off? In what way?, I have a good job here but I also had good jobs in the places mentioned above.

What do you like better about Australia than New Zealand? Economy is better, weather is better.

What do you prefer about New Zealand to Australia? People are better, landscape is much more interesting,

Was it easy to find a job in Australia? Yes, pretty easy considering the global economy.

Have you bought a property in Australia? No

If so how much Stamp Duty did you pay? NA

Have you bought a car in Australia? Yes

Are cars cheaper in Australia than New Zealand? Cars are much more expensive in Australia than New Zealand.

Do you see your move as permanent? Who knows what will happen in the future?

Are you returning to live in New Zealand? Possibly.

If so When? We will see.

Was moving to Australia a stepping stone to further afield like UK, USA or Europe? The opposite, it was somewhere to move after the UK but I see it as a stepping stone in possibly moving back to NZ (less of a shock after London as Sydney is still a big place).
Thanks for responding, interesting to see your answers.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Let's hope a few more Kiwi's reply and it may provide the reasons that the Kiwi's left behind are asking.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Have you bought a property in Australia?

If so how much Stamp Duty did you pay?

Have you bought a car in Australia?

Are cars cheaper in Australia than New Zealand?

How very Kiwi of you choose these two very loaded questions to derive some negative content about another country, in order to make yourself feel better about NZ. The tired old stamp duty issue always arises when you talk money and taxes with a Kiwi, why do you have such a big issue with it?

Surely the other tax 'benefits', such as the ability to earn AUS$6,000 tax free, per person per year, for every year of ones working life would soon outweigh what is essentially a one off cost of buying a large asset, such as a house.

Should we still need to make up a bit of slack in the cost of capital, we could also go down the VAT 10% in Aus versus GST 15% in NZ route because for sure as eggs is eggs in NZ you will pay tax on them, along with GST on top of your household rates and every other expense that comes out of one's NZ pay packet.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Mar 14th 2011 at 7:27 am.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
How very Kiwi of you choose these two very loaded questions to derive some negative content about another country, in order to make yourself feel better about NZ.
I didn't bother to check but have to say I did assume these were loaded questions in some way.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: This question is for Kiwi's`Only

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Surely the other tax 'benefits', such as the ability to earn AUS$6,000 per per person, per year, for every year of ones working life
....tax free I think you meant to add.

Plus all the tax offsets you get for education, investment property, etc.

BB
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:40 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not NZ and thank f&** for that. And the accent is not as silly.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:47 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: This question is for Kiwi's`Only

Originally Posted by Fluid36
This surprises me. It's hard to see why cars would be "much more expensive" in Australia. Can you provide some like-for-like examples?
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
It is not NZ and thank f&** for that. And the accent is not as silly.

One of the big advantages of living in Australia over NZ - your kids don't grow up with that wanker Kiwi accent
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
This surprises me. It's hard to see why cars would be "much more expensive" in Australia. Can you provide some like-for-like examples?
There's some truth in this. Because they don't have luxury car tax, I found that a lot of Mercs, BMWs etc are cheaper in NZ
Old Mar 14th 2011, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
....tax free I think you meant to add.

Plus all the tax offsets you get for education, investment property, etc.

BB
Yes, exactly what I meant thank you, I have amended.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

One of the big advantages of living in Australia over NZ - your kids don't grow up with that wanker Kiwi accent
I am only just starting to detect the difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.